Guest XR09 Guests Posted 08/12/09 06:40 AM Posted 08/12/09 06:40 AM While on the road I have not encounted this problem, but I have elsewhereChanging down, pushing forward on the shift, gives me the shiFts, it sucks and is easily knocked down a gear more than you wanted.I am pulling out the center console this weekend and was wondering while I am in there, is it an easy fix to reverse the shift pattern ??? to as it should be !!!! forward up and back for down.... not how mr ford thinks it is. What did they say ah "egronomic" I think they used. what a load of cods wallop. What do they think it is... an eaton road ranger out of one of thie 80's louivilles.Ps paddles suck on a car with more than two spins lock to lock for mine anyway.
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 8m 4d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 08/12/09 06:51 AM Posted 08/12/09 06:51 AM Ever looked at which way a race car with sequential shifts works? Whatch the in-car footage of the V8 supercars, previous F1 or Indy cars and DTM cars, they all go the same way your car does. You think maybe Hollinger, Getrag, ZF and B&M are all wrong?Oh, and no, there isn't an easy way to turn it around, Leave it as is dude
My_XR6_Turbo Member 282 Member For: 22y 2m 9d Posted 08/12/09 06:53 AM Posted 08/12/09 06:53 AM While on the road I have not encounted this problem, but I have elsewhereChanging down, pushing forward on the shift, gives me the shiFts, it sucks and is easily knocked down a gear more than you wanted.I am pulling out the center console this weekend and was wondering while I am in there, is it an easy fix to reverse the shift pattern ??? to as it should be !!!! forward up and back for down.... not how mr ford thinks it is. What did they say ah "egronomic" I think they used. what a load of cods wallop. What do they think it is... an eaton road ranger out of one of thie 80's louivilles.Ps paddles suck on a car with more than two spins lock to lock for mine anyway.From what I understand the reason Ford made it that way is when you brake your body is pushing forward, so it would be easier to push the gear stick forward to down shift than it would to pull back.
Guest XR09 Guests Posted 08/12/09 07:06 AM Posted 08/12/09 07:06 AM (edited) Ever looked at which way a race car with sequential shifts works? Whatch the in-car footage of the V8 supercars, previous F1 or Indy cars and DTM cars, they all go the same way your car does. You think maybe Hollinger, Getrag, ZF and B&M are all wrong?Oh, and no, there isn't an easy way to turn it around, Leave it as is dude Um yeh I have even been in a few rally cars have you, maybe your right but they also have a full harness same reason we reverse the pattern on a race bike ever watched them totally oposit of a road going bike and for a reason Edited 08/12/09 07:07 AM by XR09
XF Falcon <put funny sh*t here> Member 3,365 Member For: 19y 11m 3d Gender: Male Location: Perth, NOR Posted 08/12/09 07:13 AM Posted 08/12/09 07:13 AM From what I understand the reason Ford made it that way is when you brake your body is pushing forward, so it would be easier to push the gear stick forward to down shift than it would to pull back. I agree with this, under heaving braking your body naturally goes forwards so mashing the stick forward seems like a nice ergonomic solution.Also I've never experienced the "is easily knocked down a gear more than you wanted" before. If you push it once, it goes down one gear. I've never had it go down two gears by accident. The only time something remotely close to this has happened, is when I shift it into sports when im starting to brake, then push down a gear, but at the same time that I push it across, the car drops say from 4th to 3rd on its own, and as im pushing it down it goes into 2nd (when I really only wanted 3rd at the time). But this never happens once you have it in manual mode, its always one gear at a time.
My_XR6_Turbo Member 282 Member For: 22y 2m 9d Posted 08/12/09 07:23 AM Posted 08/12/09 07:23 AM Um yeh I have even been in a few rally cars have you, maybe your right but they also have a full harness same reason we reverse the pattern on a race bike ever watched them totally oposit of a road going bike and for a reasonCan’t see the correlation between me being in a rally car and why Ford made the shifting pattern the way they did, but what ever rocks your boat.
Guest XR09 Guests Posted 08/12/09 07:52 AM Posted 08/12/09 07:52 AM (edited) Can't see the correlation between me being in a rally car and why Ford made the shifting pattern the way they did, but what ever rocks your boat.Modding anything is about getting it the way you want it, to get it to suit your style and how you prefer it. that's what keeps you guys in buisness.It's just what I prefer that's all. And both rally cars I have been in had back for down. And the way you get tossed around in one of those even in a full harness is fantastic.If you go to the euro forums this is a hot topic as they have different makes doing it different ways.Track one at Mnt Cotten has a big dip in the back strait, you can brake 9 tenths up the rise and make a good line and power out of the hair pin at the end of the strait. Or brake past the top and well.... back it in a little, probibly slower but much more fun and this is where I have hit the shift twice, yep I am a clutz and a much better rider, but yes last time it spun me on compression lock up into the litter and yep it was close to going over. Hense why I am keen to change it. It's my boat and I will row it backwards if I want.Ps In advanced braking techniques we teach you to keep the weight off your hands and to use your left foot to brace yourself and keep you high in the seat as we say. It is easier to click back when doing this than push forward. I am not having a go at you, it's just what I prefer and if its just a matter of reversing a few wires or something as simple as that then I would give it a go, if I did no like it that way and it was that easy it would be a simple change back.Ps yep I love stiring the pot. I find you get more or better answers out of the poeple that know asking dumb questions Edited 08/12/09 07:58 AM by XR09
Guest XR09 Guests Posted 08/12/09 08:35 AM Posted 08/12/09 08:35 AM well just went for a driveIf I just tap my shift twice it will shift down two gears, it shows third but never goes into it, it just goes strait to second from fourth. And I do mean TAP.The slightest movement off center of the shift and it will change gear. Maybe a good thing, but not under hard braking with your fist still on the shift.Even just going over a speed bump with my hand on the gear stick will cause it to change down.So is it me or are they that sensative.... not another problem nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
XF Falcon <put funny sh*t here> Member 3,365 Member For: 19y 11m 3d Gender: Male Location: Perth, NOR Posted 08/12/09 09:17 AM Posted 08/12/09 09:17 AM Yeah mine needs a fair bit of movement to engage the switches to go up/down gears.Perhaps you have an overly sensitive knob?
Guest XR09 Guests Posted 08/12/09 09:24 AM Posted 08/12/09 09:24 AM Yeah mine needs a fair bit of movement to engage the switches to go up/down gears.Perhaps you have an overly sensitive knob? lol have or I am ??? ha ha oh well back to ford. Nah screw that. I like it the way it is, it's just too sensative for the way it changes. Gotta pull the console out to fix the rattles again, so I will have a look.
Recommended Posts