Big Dazza Member 33 Member For: 17y 3m 8d Posted 19/09/09 02:56 AM Posted 19/09/09 02:56 AM (edited) I have noticed that my ZF box behaves weirdly when coming to an almost stop then taking off (ie at a give way sign, speed hump etc.). It seems like it momentarily drops down from second to first then quickly back up to second, making for not very smooth take offs. It seems to happen mostly before the transmission warms up in normal driving mode, but sometimes when warm.Is this a normal trait? I find it quite annoying. Possibly something to do with adaptive mode, and the car mostly getting driven like a pussy due to daily commuting (stays in second when almost coming to a stop). If so would disconnecting the battery reset the default settings?Not really worried as the car is still under factory warranty, however I would imagine that it would be complete waste of time getting a Ford dealership to give me meaningfull feedback on this issue.Feedack appreciated...Cheers. Edited 19/09/09 02:57 AM by Big Dazza
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 17d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 19/09/09 03:22 AM Posted 19/09/09 03:22 AM pulling the battery for 10mins will reset the adaptive learning.Try running it in sports mode and see if it does it as well. I have noticed my gearbox also does it, but generally stays in 1st, but I drive it hard most of the time.
Corzza 777 Member 7,135 Member For: 17y 8m Gender: Male Location: Neutral Bay. Born and Bred in the RSA Posted 20/09/09 12:46 AM Posted 20/09/09 12:46 AM Mine does the same
Slash737 Member 107 Member For: 21y 7m 5d Gender: Male Location: western melbourne Posted 20/09/09 01:56 AM Posted 20/09/09 01:56 AM yep mines the same. its done it since new so I never worried about it.feels like it slips for a second before grabing the gear.
SHOCK Team Grandpa Legacy Donating Member 1,921 Member For: 20y 5m 1d Gender: Male Location: Hunter Valley Posted 20/09/09 02:03 AM Posted 20/09/09 02:03 AM On the CAPA tune...the reaction/delay time of the ZF can be changed for when you nail it.Apparantly it was Fords little safe guard for breaking things in the ZFWog changed mine in my t ute to no delay and the response for changing was better.
Jman The Cleaning Dudes Ute Legacy Donating Member 1,308 Member For: 20y 5m 19d Gender: Male Location: Bentleigh, Vic, Australia Posted 20/09/09 06:07 AM Posted 20/09/09 06:07 AM I'd probably say its showing signs that it needs the oil flushed.My ZF has been flaring when its cold only recently.Car has just clicked over 90,000ks
JETURBO ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE... Legacy Donating Member 23,708 Member For: 18y 4m Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 20/09/09 07:56 AM Posted 20/09/09 07:56 AM these zf's seem to have a few troubles here and there are they generally a solid box ?just noticed a few threads of complaints and a few of rebuilds
arm79 Legacy Donating Member 214 Member For: 17y 7m 5d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 20/09/09 01:39 PM Posted 20/09/09 01:39 PM My car is getting a new ZF auto in the next week or so, this being one of the complaints I have with it. When it happens to me, its accompanied by a thud and a small shunt forward, as its pushing against the brakes. Most of the time you can hear a metallic noise with it.This is one of a couple of complaints I have with the thing, harsh shifting being the common theme.Problem surfaced when I started getting used to the car when I first got it at about 13,000km. Complained at the 15,000km service. Seen the ZF man twice and Ford area manager, and now finally they have agreed to a new box. Car has just touched 29,000km.If you take it to Ford, push hard and keep arguing until you get a decent response. It may be as simple as the ZF bloke coming out and adjusting line pressures or something... But something Ford can't do. As you can see by the amount of time it took me to get somewhere, it's a painful exercise.
kyle173 Legacy Donating Member 774 Member For: 17y 11m Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 20/09/09 04:05 PM Posted 20/09/09 04:05 PM my box is slipping bad in fourth hoping a tranny flush new filter and pan will fix also got il leaking somewhere from my new engine
Big Dazza Member 33 Member For: 17y 3m 8d Posted 20/09/09 09:55 PM Author Posted 20/09/09 09:55 PM My car is getting a new ZF auto in the next week or so, this being one of the complaints I have with it. When it happens to me, its accompanied by a thud and a small shunt forward, as its pushing against the brakes. Most of the time you can hear a metallic noise with it.This is one of a couple of complaints I have with the thing, harsh shifting being the common theme.Problem surfaced when I started getting used to the car when I first got it at about 13,000km. Complained at the 15,000km service. Seen the ZF man twice and Ford area manager, and now finally they have agreed to a new box. Car has just touched 29,000km.If you take it to Ford, push hard and keep arguing until you get a decent response. It may be as simple as the ZF bloke coming out and adjusting line pressures or something... But something Ford can't do. As you can see by the amount of time it took me to get somewhere, it's a painful exercise.This sounds like a different thing to what my ZF is doing.I came across this "shunting" type problem being discussed on another aussie Ford forum, with a link to a UK based BMW forum, where there seem to be quite a lot of complaints re: this issue. I think the trans slams down into first when coming to a stop.If I find the link I will post it.Cheers
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now