Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Loves boost
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 4m 2d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: VIC
Posted

I have this strange sound in behind my dash cluster, its what sounds like a injector ticking only happens on acceleration its that quite I can't hear it with the radio on or the window down. I have read many threads about ticking sounds and the first thing I did was check my exhaust manifold bolts, two of the four bolts that hold the turbo to the exhuast manifold where half undone. I tightened and checked all the bolts in this area. Took the car for a test drive still have the noise inside the car, I have put the bonnet up and give it a little rev and I can't hear any strange noises comming from the engine bay.

This noise will happen whether the car is in gear or neutral, I spoke to my tuner he said it sounds like a exhaust leak is there any where else I could check? Its just strange that the sound is right up in behind the instrument cluster.

Any help is appreciated.

  • It's not a MKI!
  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 3m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Earth
Posted

Could it be as simple as a grommet not seated correctly in the firewall? :beerchug:

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 6m 25d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

Could be the fan under the passenger side dash. Mine makes a ticking sound when the fan is on. Then again you said only when accelerating so probably not.

  • Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 22y 5m 8d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

Boost solenoid? :innocent:

  • Loves boost
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 4m 2d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: VIC
Posted
Could it be as simple as a grommet not seated correctly in the firewall? :beerchug:

Yea there is a grommet on the passenger side that could be dislodged, I will check that out tonight but the sound appears to be on the drivers side.

Boost solenoid? :sold:

Yea I asked my tuner if it would be the solenoid but he said unlikely I will trouble shoot this with the old man tonight have a good listen under the hood while he gives it some revving.

Come to think of it, the noise sounds like a relay clicking on and off under acceleration. Strange thing is once my boost guage reaches 0 or more the sound stops and then all I can hear it intake sound.

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 5m 17d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Can you let me know, I have the exact same problem. To me mine sounds like its an exhast leak from manifold. but not quite sure

  • 2 years later...
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 5m 28d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Sorry about thread digging, but did you end up finding out the source, I have the same problem

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Loves boost
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 4m 2d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: VIC
Posted

Nuh I still have the noise, I just got used to it. It could be a slight exhaust leak somewhere. But I gave up.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 10m 29d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Muswellbrook,NSW
Posted

relay sounding , is the car tuned?

my solinoid clicks with one of my tunes

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 8m 24d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

I have a ticking noise that sounds like its coming from the front left wheel arch. I think it's either a rock somewhere in the body kit that bounces around, or today I was looking down there and where the side skirt finishes at the wheel arch it is pretty loose, so maybe that just vibrates a lot and makes the ticking. Although there's the same amount of movement on the right, but without any noise. Who knows.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...