crazyhorse Member 14 Member For: 17y 8m 15d Gender: Female Location: Brisbane Posted 16/05/09 04:09 AM Posted 16/05/09 04:09 AM Hi guysI bought my FG XR6 turbo in August, and have had it in for its 15000km service. It began clunking changing up and down gears and during excelleration, a mate got under it and reckons its the coupling that joins the tail shaft onto the diff. So I took it back to Ford, and they are replacing the entire tail shaft.Ford reckon its from having too heavy a weight in the tray, though I don't think a few bales of hay and some bags of horse feed would equal a heavy weight. The ford service guy reckons he has seen a few of them, (with one car coming in with that coupling totally distroyed) and the heavy weight excuse is coming from the Ford Factory... just thought I would give you a heads up that there seems to be a bit of an issue in this area of the car.I am also getting my suspension tightened as the car bottoms out on bumps on the highway, a little hard to steer clear of when your doing 100+ kms an hour.Has anyone else had any issues like this or am I the only lucky one?
TUFGSR Legacy Donating Member 514 Member For: 21y 7m 17d Posted 16/05/09 06:09 AM Posted 16/05/09 06:09 AM It seems to be a common problem now mate, I broke the centre bearing in my tail shaft with a full tub load while giving it a bit of stick. Some guys are breaking them on stockers, some modified so it definately is a design fault. A sorce tells me the cvs where never designed to handle even the stock power. Wether this is true or not I am not sure.
RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 8d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 16/05/09 08:56 AM Posted 16/05/09 08:56 AM Is this just utes, or sedans too?My old BA ate 2 front tail shaft couplers, and one centre bearing/bush, so I dont want to go through that again.
jasol Member 571 Member For: 17y 8m Location: adelaide Posted 16/05/09 11:55 AM Posted 16/05/09 11:55 AM my centre bearing was making noise as I stoped, ford replaced the whole tailshaft, they said this was very uncommon mines a bf though
tinyplums Member 1,080 Member For: 18y 1m 24d Gender: Male Posted 16/05/09 06:55 PM Posted 16/05/09 06:55 PM mines going in monday for new shaft, stock power just lowered 65mm
xtremerus Member 59 Member For: 17y 5m 5d Location: North-West NSW Posted 17/05/09 08:45 AM Posted 17/05/09 08:45 AM The Falcon utes have a single tailshaft and no center bearing, I thought. I could be wrong.
TUFGSR Legacy Donating Member 514 Member For: 21y 7m 17d Posted 17/05/09 12:25 PM Posted 17/05/09 12:25 PM The FG utes run a two peice tailshaft with two cvs and there both sh*t.
Adrian6T T.P.I.S. Legacy Donating Member 2,578 Member For: 21y 9m 25d Gender: Male Location: SoR, WA Posted 17/05/09 12:34 PM Posted 17/05/09 12:34 PM Best thing for the FG's is to fit a BF tailshaft.Ford truly stuffed up the FG shaft.
jasol Member 571 Member For: 17y 8m Location: adelaide Posted 17/05/09 01:15 PM Posted 17/05/09 01:15 PM The Falcon utes have a single tailshaft and no center bearing, I thought. I could be wrong.all xr's have a 2 piece normal falcon utes have a single
crazyhorse Member 14 Member For: 17y 8m 15d Gender: Female Location: Brisbane Posted 18/05/09 12:52 PM Author Posted 18/05/09 12:52 PM bugger sorry to hear about your troubles guys, I wondered if it was me giving it a bit too much gas every now and then, but it sounds like a design fault. Sure hope I don't have to get the tail shaft replaced every 15,000kms or I will be trading it in for a moped.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now