Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 23y 11m 29d Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 21/08/03 07:11 AM Posted 21/08/03 07:11 AM I don't see that much to be gained by removing the cat anyway - the T has a straight through cat which flows very well - just leave well enough alone and look elsewhere to gain a little power if you want.
Guest PhilH Guests Posted 21/08/03 08:28 AM Posted 21/08/03 08:28 AM OK, seems a pretty clear message in those responses. "Cats stay !!!!!" I guess as long as I'm buying buscuits for the 4 legged fluffy one upstairs, another one downstairs won't eat much more !Thanks for the answers, much appreciated.
JETURBO ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE... Legacy Donating Member 23,708 Member For: 18y 4m 8d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 03/06/08 10:51 AM Posted 03/06/08 10:51 AM use are all way to conservitave I droped the cats off my au3 xr8 220kw and bam best thing I ever did popin flames out the bak and man sounds exactly like the v8 super cars and yes iam looking at my xr6 turbos cat with numbered days and yes I did get defected and yes I changed them bak to norm for inspection blammo problem solved get on board
SubJimbo ŠύЂפֿĺmβø ™ Legacy Donating Member 1,216 Member For: 18y 9m 7d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 03/06/08 11:06 AM Posted 03/06/08 11:06 AM Wow, Nice reviving a 5 Year old Topic!
JETURBO ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE... Legacy Donating Member 23,708 Member For: 18y 4m 8d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 03/06/08 11:28 AM Posted 03/06/08 11:28 AM yeh but still seems current hey jimbo! havent quite got rid of them
Benny Member 1,869 Member For: 23y 2m 3d Gender: Male Location: Newcastle Posted 04/06/08 03:33 AM Posted 04/06/08 03:33 AM Wow, Nice reviving a 5 Year old Topic!
Iconic Bionic My engine bay is Bionic Legacy Donating Member 3,726 Member For: 20y 6m 20d Gender: Male Location: Freeways Posted 10/06/08 11:49 PM Posted 10/06/08 11:49 PM Wow, Nice reviving a 5 Year old Topic!Most of the comments relate to the BA series and now its a more valid question that BF is out and has been for some time. The BF cat is known to be far more restrictive to maintain euro5 emissions compliance.I wonder if removing the BF cat or just a higher flowing cat is the go?I.B.
Full Monty Member 513 Member For: 19y 3m 16d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 10/06/08 11:59 PM Posted 10/06/08 11:59 PM In the process of getting my stage 1 tune, we discovered my cat was stuffed, so we replaced the first section with a Hi Floed "gutted BA cat" one until I could source a 3.5" metal cat. With The gutted BA cat in place, max power that could be obtained was 273RWKW. Once the metal cat was fitted the car was run up again and tune tweaked, I was expecting a drop in power by around 5rwkw or more, but to my surprise the 3.5" cat with connecting 3.5" piping actually gained 5rwkw over no catalytic membrane.Tunes were done at the same time of day / weather conditions and on the same dyno by the same tuner.bugger all in it, and not worth the fine for the sake of $350 for a quality hi flo cat.
kevo Member 286 Member For: 18y 9m 22d Gender: Male Location: Wanneroo, Perth WA Posted 15/10/08 08:31 AM Posted 15/10/08 08:31 AM use are all way to conservitave I droped the cats off my au3 xr8 220kw and bam best thing I ever did popin flames out the bak and man sounds exactly like the v8 super cars and yes iam looking at my xr6 turbos cat with numbered days and yes I did get defected and yes I changed them bak to norm for inspection blammo problem solved get on boardyer im with you mate, everyone else in here seems to me to be freakin out and way overthinking this.Completely removing the cat is stupid because then it is clear that thee is no cat convertor in place is looked for on the spot, im all for gutting them hollow though.The guy complaining about breathing deadly fumes haha are you serious! that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. sure the fumes arn't good but no car exhaust is! When your driving behind a pre 1976 mustang or GT or monaro or Falcon or what ever - do you freak out that your breathing in deadly fumes because they don't run cat convertors!im gutting mine because they crap themselves after a year or so given how many kilometers the vehicle has travelled,I run a 100% legal catless system on a V8 in my other car so its not the end of the world running one now on a new car, its just illegal on post 76' manufacturered vehicles. if I get stickered (highly doubt that), ill just fit the other cat convertor to pass inspection. too easy.
xr6turboman Legacy Donating Member 588 Member For: 18y 5m 26d Gender: Male Location: New Zealand, Palmerston North Posted 18/10/08 05:43 AM Posted 18/10/08 05:43 AM its legal in nz to have no cats my old au got a new exhaust and we didn't replace cats never had any issue - "high flowing" the cat on a xr6t will make it over boost so I'm told and probably causing it to go into limp home mode lol you needa tune
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now