bunna Legacy Donating Member 813 Member For: 20y 1m 5d Posted 18/03/09 09:34 AM Posted 18/03/09 09:34 AM Fair enough... I'll just get used to it... a small price to pay for what is one hell of a car. Either way, everyone loves the colour, and its great to have something different to the billions of blue and silver xrs out there.It is still poor quality control. When it came to choosing the colours, this should have been tested by Ford for mismatching before approval for use. that's controlling quality.As everyone's said - the paint absorbs differently into the plastic than it does into the metal. Furthermore, the body is painted in the paintshop at ford, bumpers, rockers, and cladding are all painted by the supplier (venture), ford uses water-based paints on the body to be enviro-friendly (unlike GMH), but the bumpers have to be painted with solvent-based paints. So its a wonder they match at all...but really - there is a massive amount of work done to ensure a match (painted bodies get left out in the sun all the time for auditing, and bumpers are no different). Perhaps over time yours has simply proven to be a particularly bad example
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 5d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 18/03/09 10:26 AM Posted 18/03/09 10:26 AM Good insight Bunna I've seen worse paint matching on so-called premium euro imports...not sure what the fuss is about really
Sundeep Member 72 Member For: 17y 6m 15d Gender: Male Location: Mooroolbark, VIC Posted 18/03/09 12:20 PM Posted 18/03/09 12:20 PM Seduced I have noticed the same thing on my XR6T as well - in seduce. I've seen it on Mandarin cars as well, and some in Envi. The paint quality in general on these cars is pretty poor overall. I'm pretty fussy when it comes to paint and stuff as well as I've sprayed cars before (not as a trade job but just as a hobby..). I've checked out a few, found some runs, silicone under the paint, solvent pop and overspray lol. I don't mind it too much, the only thing that pi55es me off is rattles!! There's one from the subby when you crank it more than half, and a slight trim rattle from the left of the car somewhere. Uncle's has a BF2 Fairlane with the same thing. I would rather put up with my car having the same flaw as 11ty others when it comes to the metal vs. plastic paint matching, than have a 17yo apprentice pull the insides and outsides of my car apart and rub it all down for new paint and have it come back worse and as a bucket of bolts =SBesides, my missus' bro is a qualified spray painter for a prestige panel beater - he reckons they respray at least 2 new BMW's a week.... pre-delivery (customer doesn't know!).
Smackers XR6T Red F6310 Member 175 Member For: 21y 1m 20d Gender: Male Location: A small country town on the Murray River South Australia Posted 19/03/09 12:58 AM Posted 19/03/09 12:58 AM (edited) As everyone's said - the paint absorbs differently into the plastic than it does into the metal. Furthermore, the body is painted in the paintshop at ford, bumpers, rockers, and cladding are all painted by the supplier (venture), ford uses water-based paints on the body to be enviro-friendly (unlike GMH), but the bumpers have to be painted with solvent-based paints. So its a wonder they match at all...but really - there is a massive amount of work done to ensure a match (painted bodies get left out in the sun all the time for auditing, and bumpers are no different). Perhaps over time yours has simply proven to be a particularly bad exampleExpensive Daewoo have been using the water based paint system (waterbourne) on there commodores car bodies since the VS model. My dads employer actually did the paint shop upgrade for Expensive Daewoo back in 1997 and then again for the VE model, which further refined the waterbased system (the VS commo had clear coat issues)My expierience from working in the car industry has been you can get the plastics paint close to a match but never 100% spot on due to light refraction and colour absorbtion, also its hard for car companys because as you said the majority of there plastic are paint "Off Site" by the suppliers. Edited 19/03/09 12:58 AM by Smackers XR6T
bunna Legacy Donating Member 813 Member For: 20y 1m 5d Posted 19/03/09 09:00 AM Posted 19/03/09 09:00 AM I stand corrected! Just what I was told.Sundeep - As part of my job I'm supervisor of the Squeak and Rattle test facility. Be more specific - where exactly is your "LHS Trim rattle"? Is it a rattle or more of a tizz, creak, knock? When does it happen (road surface, speed, or is it static)?
Sundeep Member 72 Member For: 17y 6m 15d Gender: Male Location: Mooroolbark, VIC Posted 19/03/09 11:23 AM Posted 19/03/09 11:23 AM Hey Bunna - the knock is most evident when making a right turn over a poorly surfaced road. You can here a muffled plasticcy knocking noise from what I perceive to be the rear left of the car. It'd be great if you could point me in some direction, I haven't tried very hard but I'm already out of ideas. I would be more than happy to bring the car to you to get rid of it!! And just today I heard the dreaded passenger front airbag rattle!! I don't want to spray silicone in there =[
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 16d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 19/03/09 11:33 AM Posted 19/03/09 11:33 AM My TTG is in Seduce and the paint match is pathetic.The only plastic that matches the car is the front bar after the wife hit a bus.It seems to be a common problem with this colour across all the models.
Pete A Member 442 Member For: 17y 9m 27d Gender: Male Location: Castle Hill NSW Posted 20/03/09 10:29 AM Posted 20/03/09 10:29 AM Seduced I have noticed the same thing on my XR6T as well - in seduce. I've seen it on Mandarin cars as well, and some in Envi. The paint quality in general on these cars is pretty poor overall. I'm pretty fussy when it comes to paint and stuff as well as I've sprayed cars before (not as a trade job but just as a hobby..). I've checked out a few, found some runs, silicone under the paint, solvent pop and overspray lol. I don't mind it too much, the only thing that pi55es me off is rattles!! There's one from the subby when you crank it more than half, and a slight trim rattle from the left of the car somewhere. Uncle's has a BF2 Fairlane with the same thing. I would rather put up with my car having the same flaw as 11ty others when it comes to the metal vs. plastic paint matching, than have a 17yo apprentice pull the insides and outsides of my car apart and rub it all down for new paint and have it come back worse and as a bucket of bolts =SBesides, my missus' bro is a qualified spray painter for a prestige panel beater - he reckons they respray at least 2 new BMW's a week.... pre-delivery (customer doesn't know!).Sundeep, I don't doubt what you say about paint quality, but I must admit the paint job on my car is first class(for mass produced Ford). I'm sure that's not the case for everyone, but as I said my brother owns a paint shop, he's been over it and gives it the big thumbs up. The Mandarin 8 I had was an alright paint job but the FG is really good I must say. As a question, I've paid for paint protection in both cars. Would they do any special preparation on the paint before adding the protection?? to make it look better than it is? Cos mine really is very good!
Pete A Member 442 Member For: 17y 9m 27d Gender: Male Location: Castle Hill NSW Posted 20/03/09 10:36 AM Posted 20/03/09 10:36 AM My TTG is in Seduce and the paint match is pathetic.The only plastic that matches the car is the front bar after the wife hit a bus.It seems to be a common problem with this colour across all the models.Believe me it's just not Seduce. Mine is not that bad, but I had Mandarin before so maybe I'm used to it. People are still very impressed with the Seduce colour. A colleague of mine from the UK was in my car today and as this was a hot topic we discussed it. Guess what? He has an "X" type Jag and has the same problem, even in Silver.
seduced Need more power. Now taking donations. Member 753 Member For: 17y 7m 3d Gender: Male Posted 02/04/09 12:47 AM Author Posted 02/04/09 12:47 AM yeah im over the paint... I just get in the drivers seat and put my foot down.. all of a sudden the paint doesnt seem to matter anymore.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now