Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 19y 9m 2d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Macksville NSW.
Posted

I was sitting in the lunchroom at a mates workshop back in the late 70's, while he was tuning a set Webers on an old Charger on the chassis dyno....which, as it happened, wasn't tied down.T

This was all good until he told the 1st year apprentice, sitting behind the wheel, to give it a rev....that's when the return spring broke and it went straight to wide open throttle...... :blink:

I got to the door in time to see it doing a massive burnout across the workshop, with terrified apprentice at the wheel frozen in fear....he didn't get hurt, but he looked a little pale when we got him out of the car though...

The car had demolished a steel bench, gone halfway through the back wall of the old besser-block factory and also killed the air compressor in its box on the other side of the wall..... :blink:

After a quick round of the hire joints, we acro-propped the wall so the factory wouldn't fall down while we got the car out.....then came the explaining to the factory owner, not to mention the guy who owned the car as well...

The damage bill.....in 70's money, was around 30 odd grand....serious money back then.....

We can be thankfull that my mate was standing beside it, and not in front of it, when it jumped the rollers or it could easily have been a much more serious outcome.

And all because somebody couldn't spare a minute or so to secure the car......craziness :beerchug:

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 1m 9d
Posted (edited)

freeze - I wouldn't even call that strapping it down. Doesnt do much at all for sideways movement and theres a lot of play in it. Would be heaps better done under the car but I doubt the dyno set up allows decent access.

Edited by gregor
  • Toughest BA Turbo
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 6d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted
It almost looks like Croydon racing Developments workshop...........

What makes you think it's not?

  • I am dissatisfied with my current employment situation
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 2d
  • Gender: Male
Posted
freeze - I wouldn't even call that strapping it down. Doesnt do much at all for sideways movement and theres a lot of play in it. Would be heaps better done under the car but I doubt the dyno set up allows decent access.

yea I agree 100%,, it looks loose plus on the vls there is no solid point were it goes across.. so it would have dug into the seat giving it more play

  • Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 23y 10m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Dé·jà vu
Posted

:spit: to about 2002...

...thought this was a mine when I first saw the thread... :msm:

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 8m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted
What makes you think it's not?

Dunno, just looks very similiar to there work shop, matches some of the horror stories I have heard from there also...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...