Worm A much better forum Legacy Donating Member 3,808 Member For: 18y 2m 13d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 23/11/08 09:21 AM Posted 23/11/08 09:21 AM Looking at fitting 265/35/18's on my FG XR6T stock rims...Has anyone done this on the ford 18 inch with 8 inch wide rim? Federal quotes that these (25 wide) must be on a 9 inch wide rim...I want semi slicks for my rims, and dont want to have to keep changing wheels etc... for the drags... Also, would I be covered with insurance (on the road) if I fitted them? 1
ardi Member 117 Member For: 18y 4m 25d Posted 23/11/08 09:51 AM Posted 23/11/08 09:51 AM Mate was thinking of doing the same thing. I think if you read through 'rubber that will hold please'. There are one or two guys in qld that have done this with the federals. Try asking them how it has gone, let us know if you do it and how it performs.
bluute Cant wait to drive it Legacy Donating Member 884 Member For: 18y 2m 22d Gender: Male Location: Golden Bay,WA Posted 23/11/08 10:06 AM Posted 23/11/08 10:06 AM you may get them on there mate but I dont think they will stay on you run a big risk of rolling them off the rim and destroying your rim and tyre
straughsberry Legacy Donating Member 1,846 Member For: 19y 1m 17d Gender: Male Location: Broady, Melbourne Posted 23/11/08 02:15 PM Posted 23/11/08 02:15 PM Ifn your fixn to use that setup on public roads and have an accident, you will not be insured in any capacity.
Worm A much better forum Legacy Donating Member 3,808 Member For: 18y 2m 13d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 23/11/08 07:27 PM Posted 23/11/08 07:27 PM Thanks boys... The main questions have been answered...Anyone know the best semi slick to run on an 18 then???I have 245/40/18 on the front, so wouldnt want to go skinnier on the rear...Maybe I should just buy a set of interceptors and get some MT streets.... Could just fit them for the drags... The only problem is, I cant get my car to hook up at all if I give it a little bit on the road... Spose I could just buy a better rear tyre and get some semis... Hmmm
Erko Legacy Donating Member 1,079 Member For: 23y 3d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 23/11/08 11:04 PM Posted 23/11/08 11:04 PM Just get some Bridgestone RE001's in 245/40/18.I higher profile is better for drag racing than low profile anyway and 265 on an 8 inch rim is a dud, they squirm all over the place.
straughsberry Legacy Donating Member 1,846 Member For: 19y 1m 17d Gender: Male Location: Broady, Melbourne Posted 24/11/08 01:19 AM Posted 24/11/08 01:19 AM Its the compound that will make the biggest difference with grip. If the compound is hard and the tyre is of average quality, even adding 30mm in width will not make much of a difference. If you've been using tyres with a 300 wear rating, try something at around 200. If grip is your ultimate goal and money isn't in the equation, go for an 'R' spec tyre. But be prepared for a high price and low mileage.
YPURV4 KILL,KILL,KILL,DIE,DIE,DIE, Member 2,813 Member For: 20y 5m 2d Gender: Male Posted 24/11/08 06:24 AM Posted 24/11/08 06:24 AM (edited) I run my 275 mts on an 17x 8 au rim EDIT: could of been 17x8.5 Edited 24/11/08 06:26 AM by YPURV4
Guest Guests Posted 25/11/08 12:53 AM Posted 25/11/08 12:53 AM MT's aren't subjected to the same loads/pressures as street tyres though mate. If you put a 265 tyre on a 8" rim & corner too hard, you run the risk of rolling the tyre off the rim & ruining your wheel/tyre.If you want a fat tyre on the rear, get a wider rim package to suit. If it's just grip you're after, go for a R-comp tyre in 245/35 or 245/40 & you'll be more than happy Just out of curiosity, which brand of tyre are you running at the moment? I run Kumho KU31's at the minute with 350rwkw & it comes on really hard but wheelspin can be controlled somewhat with a bit of right foot movement. The Sumitomo's I had on my last car with ~340rwkw & T56 also gripped really well so maybe something as simple as a brand change & some right foot control will help you
YellowTurbo Member 163 Member For: 20y 16d Gender: Male Location: Darwin Posted 25/11/08 03:16 PM Posted 25/11/08 03:16 PM Factory Territory Rims1. Rim Size Front and rear e.g. F 17" R 17"2. Rim width front and rear e.g. F 7.5" R 7.5" I think3. Sedan, ute or wagon and model e.g. BA mkII sedan4. Tyre rubber for each rim e.g. 235/45/17 dunlop sp3000a5. Did you lip your guards, No6. photo of rims if possible7. are rims staggered offset. noBecause alloys are gay!!! lol kidding, but steels take a beating
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now