ExAreSix TRAITOR Legacy Donating Member 1,063 Member For: 23y 11m 19d Gender: Male Location: Townsville, NQ Posted 11/01/03 11:56 AM Posted 11/01/03 11:56 AM I saw a post about this on another forum; a guy checked out 3 or 4 XR6Ts at Summernats and they all had melted clips! Good to see the 1000s of hours of development that Ford obviously have done, and their homework, has everyone confident that everythings smoochie under the hood. Lets hope they haven't overlooked anything more serious concerning all that heat buildup.
richdave SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten Legacy Donating Member 1,841 Member For: 23y 11m 28d Gender: Male Location: Outer east - Melbourne Posted 11/01/03 12:08 PM Posted 11/01/03 12:08 PM Lets hope they haven't overlooked anything more serious concerning all that heat buildup.I hope so too however, I'll sleep easy regardless...warranty and 3 year lease then hand it back
PSI40L Member 175 Member For: 23y 9m 20d Posted 12/01/03 02:23 AM Posted 12/01/03 02:23 AM Turbo -6 mine melted aswell took it back got it replaced and melted again . it is on the oil lines that go the turbo and they get really hot. it needs a different type of clip there ...The lines are fairly rigid as they are made from aluminium so I decided to forget the clip
Guest Turbo-6 Guests Posted 12/01/03 04:34 AM Posted 12/01/03 04:34 AM ...The lines are fairly rigid as they are made from aluminium so I decided to forget the clipDo you think the stability of the pipes would be compromised by removing the clip? They seem to touch without any support.
F6 RAPID Formerly Turbo6 Legacy Donating Member 2,332 Member For: 23y 9m Location: North Brisbane Posted 12/01/03 05:17 AM Posted 12/01/03 05:17 AM I believe the clip is only there "in case" the lines started contacting each other and made noise. I think we are all pretty safe without the clip. Better that than a fire!!
Mals BA XR6T Member 381 Member For: 23y 10m 5d Location: Sydney Posted 12/01/03 07:19 AM Author Posted 12/01/03 07:19 AM If they rub together for some time would the pipes wear???Anyway mines fine... maybe the ones that have melted have given their cars a hard time then just switched it off?? I don't know I'm just speculating?
CJF077 The Noble Leader Administrator 4,792 Member For: 23y 11m 26d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Australia Posted 12/01/03 07:20 AM Posted 12/01/03 07:20 AM If they rub together for some time would the pipes wear???Anyway mines fine... maybe the ones that have melted have given their cars a hard time then just switched it off?? I don't know I'm just speculating? hard time? who? me?
richdave SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten Legacy Donating Member 1,841 Member For: 23y 11m 28d Gender: Male Location: Outer east - Melbourne Posted 12/01/03 07:33 AM Posted 12/01/03 07:33 AM If they rub together for some time would the pipes wear??? Yep, and if it's aluminium then it will rather quickly I'd say.
Mondie Firm Member Legacy Donating Member 2,924 Member For: 23y 11m 7d Location: Adelaide Hills Posted 12/01/03 09:22 AM Posted 12/01/03 09:22 AM The black plastic clip on ours is OK, but there is only one clip when l thought there may have been two?l do notice that when our car has been for a decent run and l park it in the garage, after a while there is a very noticeable build up of smelly hot plastic/rubber. l assume this is normal and will get better as the car beds in. Either that or some other part l havent been able to locate is melting down :hiwelcome:
Mals BA XR6T Member 381 Member For: 23y 10m 5d Location: Sydney Posted 12/01/03 10:49 PM Author Posted 12/01/03 10:49 PM l do notice that when our car has been for a decent run and l park it in the garage, after a while there is a very noticeable build up of smelly hot plastic/rubber. l assume this is normal and will get better as the car beds in. Either that or some other part l havent been able to locate is melting down :hiwelcome: When we picked up the XR6T we drove it from Sydney to Castle Hill, and took it quite easy. Anyway, the smell from the car was terrible...and when we stopped at a set of traffic lights there was even some smoke from the bonnet. I stopped and had a quick look, but couldn't really see anything... anyway to cut a long story short it stopped doing it only after about 100kms on the clock... however every now and then I can still smell something strange (2500kms). I assume this will go away sooner or later
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now