Fuel Consumption (merged topic)

Djelibeybi

• Member For: 17y 8m 18d
Just got the car back from Ford. Just to recap, I was getting 250km out of a tank, which lined up perfectly with the 20L/100k reading on the dash.

Ford had a look, and apparently the ECU was programmed with the wrong tyre size - it was set to 19" wheels apparently which would have upset the odo. So far it is now showing a reduction from 20L to 17L, which still is sh*t, but is better. I'll give it a tank or so to re-learn the fuel maps (which were apparently also all reset) and see how it goes.

that's intresting!! - my car goes in for service tomorrow - ill ask them about this setting and make sure its set right for me too!

• Member For: 18y 9m 30d
Just got the car back from Ford. Just to recap, I was getting 250km out of a tank, which lined up perfectly with the 20L/100k reading on the dash.

Ford had a look, and apparently the ECU was programmed with the wrong tyre size - it was set to 19" wheels apparently which would have upset the odo. So far it is now showing a reduction from 20L to 17L, which still is sh*t, but is better. I'll give it a tank or so to re-learn the fuel maps (which were apparently also all reset) and see how it goes.

although it may have been wrong, I can't see how a setting about tyre size will affect actual fuel consumption :laughing: might show up wrong on the avg fuel consumption etc, but it won't actually use more fuel. its been stated before, the only real way to measure it accurately, is to fill the car to the first click, and either drive it for 100km then re-fill to the first click again and see how many litres it used, or drive it till empty, re-fill and see how many litres it used to do how many kms. Doing this, I usually get about 12.5/13.5L. I just recently went on a long drive, and it was 10.5L and the avg fuel went down from 12.9 to 12.6.

It might say you're only getting 250kms off a tank, but are you sure its filling up completely? My fuel guagehad an episode whereby it said I was on empty, however, when I filled the tank it only took 45L..

• Member For: 17y 8m 6d

I had the same thoughts as you, but the issue with the tyre size is apparently that it affects the ODO, so I was actually doing more than the 250k the odo was showing me for each tank.

But by my calc's it's only 10% anyway, so my 20L would drop to 18L which is still crap.

So far it's returned to 20L anyway, so back it goes.

I saw on the work sheet that the mech checked the AFR, does anyone know whether they actually would have a gas analyser, or if they just rely on the o2 sensor?

• Member For: 18y 9m 30d
I had the same thoughts as you, but the issue with the tyre size is apparently that it affects the ODO, so I was actually doing more than the 250k the odo was showing me for each tank.

But by my calc's it's only 10% anyway, so my 20L would drop to 18L which is still crap.

So far it's returned to 20L anyway, so back it goes.

I saw on the work sheet that the mech checked the AFR, does anyone know whether they actually would have a gas analyser, or if they just rely on the o2 sensor?

another thing to consider is what kind of driving are you doing?? sorry if I missed it in a post elsewhere. If you're doing short trips here and there, then expect high fuel usage. Or if in stop/start traffic etc. Being in canberra, most of my driving is done around 80km/h and cruising.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 1m 22d
that sounds pretty bad, I fill mine up after floggin it around town and still get rated at 450+++ kms, and when I on the highway I would get around 600. mate up here has same prob he gets rated at 350 or so giving it prob less sh*t then I do.. seems odd but I dont complain

I think you underestimate how hard I drive.

Caspertt

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4m 29d
I just got back from a 600 odd k trip to Sandown and my stock 05 auto averaged excatly 10l/100kms

I assume that was the dash reading? Did you do the calc on the KMs and Litres? Interesting to know how close they were.

Did the calc on the last tank I put through. Trip computor reading 10.2L/100kms, calculation worked out at 9.75L/100kms

• Uncle Bulgaria was gender challenged
  • Member For: 19y 11m 30d

Never done a strictly country cruise in my BA T yet but I see 10.8 on the trip puter as my average. Actual is 10.6 measured, week in, week out. that's on Shell 95 crud.

Switching to BP Ultimate again in the next week and try that for a few weeks.

• 1 month later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 1d

well my T used to never drop below 18L/100km...yes, I drove with a heavy foot, but not all the time!

I had it back to Ford several times and they said there was nothing wrong with it...

was making good power too - 224rwkw, totally stock!

Dave.