Joey Member 182 Member For: 19y Gender: Male Location: Australind, WA Posted 17/01/08 05:28 AM Posted 17/01/08 05:28 AM Hey all, just after a bit of an opinion!I am looking at the next round of mods. Looks like its gonna be a cooler, injectors, high flow cat and dump pipe. So far I have a custom tune from RDP, cold air induction and a filter. Putting out around 330HP at the boots. Problem is I am going to have to drive my car a bit of a way for my next tune. Do you think I can get away with getting the dump pipe and hi-flow cat installed down here or will it overboost like a mofo? I was thinking of installing the cooler kit myself (rap1d systems kit) and limping it to the tuner (about 3.5hrs away)...Opinions please?? Not sure what to do as I dont want to have to pay the tuner to install the cooler kit, exhaust, cat blah blah blah as well as the injectors... could be expensive!
Kimberley Scott www.australianflag.org.au Legacy Donating Member 6,763 Member For: 21y 2m 15d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 17/01/08 05:31 AM Posted 17/01/08 05:31 AM (edited) Mate I have about as much mechanical nouse as you so take this for what its worth, I see no reason if driven carefully that all the components dealing with airflow could be babied to RDP, three and a half hours is a long drive to do this. But bigger injectors are not going to work no matter how much its babied.Scotty Edited 17/01/08 05:41 AM by Kimberley Scott
Joey Member 182 Member For: 19y Gender: Male Location: Australind, WA Posted 17/01/08 05:34 AM Author Posted 17/01/08 05:34 AM BLIMEY that was quick mate Hmm, well I hadnt planned to do the injectors, just that I could get a muffler shop here in town to do all the exhaust stuff, and I could do the cooler myself... Thanks for the opinion though. I guess if I stayed off boost I would probably be alright. Maybe.
seventytwo Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel. Legacy Donating Member 5,368 Member For: 21y 2m 25d Gender: Male Location: The 8th Dimension Posted 17/01/08 05:36 AM Posted 17/01/08 05:36 AM I'm with KS You could do all the grunt work bar the injectors.Just drive the car off boost as much as possible, but really speak to RDP and get their advice before you try it.
exarsixturbo Dr. Speed Member 784 Member For: 19y 2m 2d Gender: Male Location: The land of Politicians, Public Servants, Porno & Pyrotechnics Posted 17/01/08 05:50 AM Posted 17/01/08 05:50 AM I'm about to do my cooler and then cat and then sometime after that take it and get it tuned. I'm going to take it easy with mine until I get it tuned. It should be OK if you don't go rapping the tits off it.
Joey Member 182 Member For: 19y Gender: Male Location: Australind, WA Posted 17/01/08 05:59 AM Author Posted 17/01/08 05:59 AM Yeah sounds fair to me. Car isnt going to RDP unfortauntely though, they are about 9 hrs away. Gona have to go up to CPV performance in Mackay, but I'll give them a dingaling and see what they rekon. Cheers for the feedback. I was just a bit worried about the dump because the increased flow can apparently put too much load on the stock wastegate actuator... hmmm.
seventytwo Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel. Legacy Donating Member 5,368 Member For: 21y 2m 25d Gender: Male Location: The 8th Dimension Posted 17/01/08 06:04 AM Posted 17/01/08 06:04 AM If you stay off boost it should not be a problem.an upgraded actuator and hi flow pump would be a good idea as well.
YPURV4 KILL,KILL,KILL,DIE,DIE,DIE, Member 2,813 Member For: 20y 4m 29d Gender: Male Posted 17/01/08 06:42 AM Posted 17/01/08 06:42 AM What happend to keeping it stcok mate lolI knew it wouldnt last.
RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 13d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 17/01/08 08:56 AM Posted 17/01/08 08:56 AM As above, just get everything except the injectors done at home, then baby it to the tuner, keeping off boost and watching the boost guage.Injectora arnt a big job so they wont charge you much.
Toecutter Member 182 Member For: 19y 4m 6d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 17/01/08 09:59 AM Posted 17/01/08 09:59 AM Im in the same situation, nearly have all the bits and pieces and want to fit the cooler, CAI and muffler myself and drive it to the tuner.Looks like I'll just leave the injectors and valve springs for the tuner to do and ill do the rest myself.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now