RSK Member 340 Member For: 19y 22d Gender: Male Posted 23/01/08 12:21 AM Author Posted 23/01/08 12:21 AM So how does one exactly spool it up in an auto? I tried doing it in the test drive with the foot brake and only got to around 1800rpm, and it was still slow off the line. Doesn't spooling it up without a stall convertor screw up your transmission?
freewilly Member 14 Member For: 18y 10m Posted 23/01/08 07:23 AM Posted 23/01/08 07:23 AM So how does one exactly spool it up in an auto? I tried doing it in the test drive with the foot brake and only got to around 1800rpm, and it was still slow off the line. Doesn't spooling it up without a stall convertor screw up your transmission?Did you try a manual? perhaps you might find a stickshift more to your taste. Sorry not the answer you were after but I think it's well worth considering. I went with a t56 and while it isn't the greatest gearbox I've ever sampled (and not by a small margin) it is still a lot of fun and as long as your not averse to really manhandling your car you can do all the hard launches you like, that is till something breaks
RSK Member 340 Member For: 19y 22d Gender: Male Posted 23/01/08 08:21 AM Author Posted 23/01/08 08:21 AM (edited) Nah mate, havn't tried the manual. One of my first mods will be to toughen up the autobox and get a histall convertor, then a custom tune to hopefully be able to run 10psi reliably.Quick question, what's the weakest link in the auto drivetrain? Is it the transmission or lsd? Edited 23/01/08 08:22 AM by RSK
RHR BOOST Moderating Team 5,698 Member For: 23y 1m Gender: Male Location: Southern Highlands NSW Posted 23/01/08 10:33 AM Posted 23/01/08 10:33 AM Did you try a manual? perhaps you might find a stickshift more to your taste. Sorry not the answer you were after but I think it's well worth considering. I went with a t56 and while it isn't the greatest gearbox I've ever sampled (and not by a small margin) it is still a lot of fun and as long as your not averse to really manhandling your car you can do all the hard launches you like, that is till something breaks Mate put some castrol Transmax Z in it then tell us what you think
seventytwo Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel. Legacy Donating Member 5,368 Member For: 21y 2m 28d Gender: Male Location: The 8th Dimension Posted 23/01/08 10:38 AM Posted 23/01/08 10:38 AM Nah mate, havn't tried the manual. One of my first mods will be to toughen up the autobox and get a histall convertor, then a custom tune to hopefully be able to run 10psi reliably.Quick question, what's the weakest link in the auto drivetrain? Is it the transmission or lsd?The auto is the weak link, not many have broken the diff (not counting diff clunk) CV's can be a bit fragile.
Chooka THE Member Legacy Donating Member 1,210 Member For: 21y 3m Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 24/01/08 09:49 PM Posted 24/01/08 09:49 PM I was driving a mildly tweaked EF Fairmont Ghia 5L when I started driving T's through my old work, 3 ZF's and a six speed.I actually found it somewhat "Hard" I guess is the right word to drive, no instant torque like the 5L......But once you have the spooled up and going the 5L did not even compare, expecially to the ZF!But for normal driving around town etc I found the V8 a loss less taxing but would still go for the T every time Chooka
massiv Member 89 Member For: 18y 8m 27d Gender: Male Location: East Bentleigh Posted 25/01/08 02:49 AM Posted 25/01/08 02:49 AM My dad owns a BA XR8 and I have a BF XR6T. Having driven both I love the ability of the 8 to 'hang' the rear out (in my driveway of course) with ease, they have the torque that's for sure. You can still do the same in the 'T' by keeping it on boost. The XR6 feels a little more nimble and feels like a smaller car to drive. I think the main diff is the fuel economy. With my dad chugging around in his 8, cant manage any better than 14L/100km. However in my 6T, im consistantly getting 11l/100km and that's giving it the boot here and there.I keep seeing guys claiming to get 11L/100km which is a great! But why the f**K am I still only getting like 15.5L/100km..... is it because I havent owned a manual car and I possibly cant drive it efficiently as of yet? or because my car has only 2000km on the clock and you dont get the best economy out of them untill you have done 5000km? 10000km? or is that all hog wash and I boot it to much? hehe!<Michael>
massiv Member 89 Member For: 18y 8m 27d Gender: Male Location: East Bentleigh Posted 25/01/08 02:58 AM Posted 25/01/08 02:58 AM I was driving a mildly tweaked EF Fairmont Ghia 5L when I started driving T's through my old work, 3 ZF's and a six speed.I actually found it somewhat "Hard" I guess is the right word to drive, no instant torque like the 5L......But once you have the spooled up and going the 5L did not even compare, expecially to the ZF!But for normal driving around town etc I found the V8 a loss less taxing but would still go for the T every time Chookastupid question.... what do you mean by the "ZF"??
Chooka THE Member Legacy Donating Member 1,210 Member For: 21y 3m Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 25/01/08 03:35 AM Posted 25/01/08 03:35 AM ZF 6 speed auto mate. Chooka
T007 Woooooooosh Legacy Donating Member 734 Member For: 21y 2m 28d Location: Sydney Posted 25/01/08 03:37 AM Posted 25/01/08 03:37 AM I keep seeing guys claiming to get 11L/100km which is a great! But why the f**K am I still only getting like 15.5L/100km..... is it because I havent owned a manual car and I possibly cant drive it efficiently as of yet? or because my car has only 2000km on the clock and you dont get the best economy out of them untill you have done 5000km? 10000km? or is that all hog wash and I boot it to much? hehe!<Michael>63000 kaysStill getting mid to high 15s per 100 80% city driving at least im not the only one
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now