Turbo Fuel Economy

Superoo

• SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 18d

Just topped the 2K mark, I took the car for it's first long drive yesterday. Went to Castlemaine, round trip was 286kms and used 33lt which works out to be 11.56lt/100km (24.4MPG) which is not too bad for the lumbering beast it is.... :unsure:

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 1d

After 700kms in my NA I am averaging 11.3l/100kms.

Mostly around town driving whilst I run it in.

I am taking it easy and no full throttle take offs (hard not to do), probably explains the good economy.

If the economy increases as the kms get on the engine, I am looking forward to it.

Guest harp01
  • Guests

Hi Everyone,

I have only done 1200k's and reading 15.6lts/100k. Started at 17.8 when I picked it up. The more I drive it the better it gets. Love it !!!!! :)

• I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 8d

only 230ks on the clock, with fuel consumption hovering around 18L (got it to 17.5 before last nights peak hour, but then the old stop start routine ruined things). 100% city driving so far

• Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 18d

I picked up my son's XR6T ute last Tuesday - took it for a short drive Tues night, about 700km and it returned 12.4l/100km. Since then it has done another 800km and the overall average, (calculated, not from panel), is now ... 12.4l/100km. So it is returning about 23 mpg old language, which for it's weight and power available, is pretty darn good.

• Weird Member
  • Member For: 21y 2m 25d

chrislak must have a big right foot.

My XR6T Auto gets between 12 and 15 around town, with a bit of letting friends take it for a drive, :lol: to make them feel bad about buying Commodores or large 4WD's.

A long trip Canberra to Parkes and back sitting on 110 to 120 :hmmm: got 10.8 indicated or (9.5L/100 actual). This included full throttle acceleration out of every town and after all roadworks, still addicted to that Turbo acceleration, and exhaust note.

Even towing another car on a trailer I couldn't get worse than 18.5 indicated. This included travelling between 90 and 100 (90 cause it was raining).

Got to love the expression on the faces of the other drivers in their little buzboxes who pulled out on the overtaking lanes. Got beside me, then dropped back when I didnt slow down for the steep hills, but they did. :hmmm: The XR6T has a lot of grunt, it just dropped back a gear to about 3000rpm and kept at 100kph.

Like I said you must have a big foot, or there is something up with your car.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 2d

Yep, I agree with you YCL, my foot is very very heavy I cant help revving first gear to 5000 rpm every time, I know have 1900k's and im up to 20L/100k's, another friend of mine XR6T 3500k's old is upto 21L/100k's.

:D :D :D

Guest XRSEXIEST
  • Guests

A large capacity forced induction motor, when driven hard on boost all day, will use a lot of fuel. Off boost, they will return reasonable economy. However it will be almost never as good as a naturally aspirated motor in the same car driven the same way. This is because a forced induction motor, off boost does not have sufficient compression in the combustion chamber to optimise fuel burn. It is therefore not as efficient.

At the end of the day I guess, it's horses for courses. If you want a quick car that looks horny and you have a deep back pocket (and long arms) go for the XR6 T.

If you want a car that looks horny, are worried about your pay packet and are happy driving a slug. Buy the standard XR6.