Turbo Fuel Economy

Superoo

• Member For: 21y 4m 27d

Anyone know?

I realise when looking at this type of vehicle that I maybe shouldn't care but it will be my first high performance car and it is playing on my mind a little (not to mention they type of fuel it likes). I haven't seen any official figures yet I thought all new cars had to display this information.

Some of the things I have read (wheels & the RACV tests) have painted it as a fair guzzler.

BTW, this board is a great source of info. If only we knew the truth behind the traction/LSD issue.......

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 18d
all I know is it takes PULP that's all

Not so according to www.newfalcon.com.au research tools, specs and options.

Ford state that ULP and PULP are both acceptable.

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members

We presently have a TS50 series 1 5Lt that averages around 13.8lt/100km. This is taken from the trip computer that hasnt been reset for several thousand kms. l usually rezero it every couple of months and it comes up with this figure +/-0.1. Driving is probably 50/50 around town/country. We dont drive it that hard.

l reckon the turbo will under the same conditions get nearer to 12.5. From what l have read, the turbo guzzles less when youre flogging it, but is less frugal on a long country trip, when compared to a V8. For the sort of performance the car is capable of, that is reasonable consumption l beleieve. The only negative things l have read about fuel economy relate to the XT which uses more than the Late model camira due to its extra weight. At least the Commie has at least one win over the BA!!

l understand it prefers PULP but it can safely run on ULP as it has a knock sensor. Our current car doesnt, but l still run it on ULP when l cant get PULP and havent noticed any problems, pinging etc. You will lose some performance but how noticeable it is l dont know, hard to quantify. Probably no greater than the difference between driving on a cool to warm day.

l guess it comes down to how much you are willing to pay for the extra performance in fuel costs.

Guest LionHeart
  • Guests

That is also my understanding.

It can take both but at a sacrifice of a little performance.

All in all though we are only talking 3cents a litre at max aren't we?

Under 10 days to go.....

• SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 18d

I've read reviews for the turbo that range from 12l/100km with a 50/50 mix of country/city driving to a whopping 16.5l/100km for a 120km warp speed trip.

I tried to find the links to the articles.....no luck :(

Guest DZ.
  • Guests
That is also my understanding.

It can take both but at a sacrifice of a little performance.

All in all though we are only talking 3cents a litre at max aren't we?

Under 10 days to go.....

You'll probably find it has less range if you don't use PULP - so the sacrifice to save the money isn't worth it.

If I do purchase one, I'll be running it on PULP unless I'm forced otherwise by availabilty. It's the reviews showing 16.5l/100km that concern me but as stated, the "warp speed" trip is the major factor.

As for the price difference, Shell have been selling Optimax for up to 8.5 cents a litre higher than ULP. I have seen this first hand. Considering the price difference on release of Optimax was 6 cents, it is certainly going against the trend of "It'll come down when it gets more popular". Obviously not selling much. I think PULP is actually 95 RON and above so I realise Optimax is not the only option but I may be locked into using Shell via a fuel card.

I'd be happy to average the 13.8l/100km achieved by the TS50.

Guest DZ.
  • Guests

The XR6T is designed to run on 95 RON. Optimax and BP Ultimate I think are the only ones that are running 98 RON (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but Caltex, Ampol, and some BP and Mobil stations have PULP for 5 cents more than ULP (we have this problem with the other car).

It's no issue in major centers, and I've done a few long distance trips (Gold Coast to Dubbo) - there's always some place within a reasonable range that has 95 RON.

• Member For: 21y 5m 1d

This is what the salesman told me

The Turbo drinks less on the highway than the XT around 7.0 where the XT is 7.4. In the city the Turbo drinks around 12.5 and the XT 11.5. Of course city driving doesn't mean you are pushing it that hard. Of course if it will drink more if you push it. If this is true I find this very acceptable. :D