Turbo Fuel Economy

Superoo

• Flower Power
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 14d
The XR6T is designed to run on 95 RON.  Optimax and BP Ultimate I think are the only ones that are running 98 RON (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but Caltex, Ampol, and some BP and Mobil stations have PULP for 5 cents more than ULP (we have this problem with the other car).  

It's no issue in major centers, and I've done a few long distance trips (Gold Coast to Dubbo) - there's always some place within a reasonable range that has 95 RON.

Shell Opimax, BP Ultimate and Mobile Synergy 8000 are the 98 RON fuels.

Where these are not available, Shell and BP use 96 - 97 RON PULP.

Mobile uses 95 RON PULP where Synergy 8000 is not available.

Caltex, Ampol use 95 - 96 RON PULP, with the exeption of Caltex Vortex which is 97 RON.

The PULP you get from discount petrol stations is usually 93 - 95 RON, they mix different ones, depending on who they get their fuel from.

The 98 RON PULP is usually 7 - 8 cents more exp than 91 RON ULP.

The price goes up and down depending on availability. I have seen it as much as 20 cents more when almost all servo's were dry.

In some cars 95 - 97 RON PULP is better than 98 RON PULP. This was the case for my 2000 Pulsar (a Nissan fuel technician told me about this).

I got more power from 97RON, but less efficiency than 98 RON PULP.

Some one needs to find out the best fuel to be used on the XR6T.

I hope one of the Ford guys here can shed some light on this.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 23d

Superoo, l have asked our local Shell servo here in country Vic when they are getting Optimax and they just dont know. Apparently Optimax is so popular Shell has no trouble selling all they can produce, so why spend money equipping more outlets to sell it. l would have hoped it would come down when it became more popular, but l guess demand is meeting supply hence the price. l too have seen Optimax sell for 6-9 c/lt more than reg ULP.

l wouldnt worry that your Turbo will use anywhere near 16.5lt/100km. Sure you may use this for a short time during some hard driving, but you cant drive like that all the time! You wouldnt have a licence for long!!

The 13.8 lt figure for our TS is also for a mix of PULP and ULP, probably more ULP than PULP. So if we were to only use PULP maybe this would reduce by 0.5 lt, who knows? l have some old Wheels/Motor mags with road tests on the TS50 where they claim consumption upto 18lt/100. l have never seen anything like that. You have to remember the car jurnos dont own the cars, so flog the absolute life out of them at every chance.

Guest EDManual
  • Guests

OK, well there really is a big BIG difference in flooring a car or not.

I have a Hyundai Accent. It has a 1.5l DOHC engine.

The writeups have it doing 5.0 l on the Hwy and 6.5 in the city or less!

I sit on 110 or 120 on hwys and the best ive had without flooring it(its just faster that their hwy dirivng is 7.5l, now my Falcon ED does about 8.5 at that speed! that's not much worse.

But! the worst ive had out of the Accent, is 17 l per hundred! yep!! that's floored along long deserted roads.

The worst iv done in my ED is 14l perhunderd.(( this is just driving fast, not flat out)I havent tried it floored for ages)

Turbos are very good on fuel when your cruising, the turbo basically shuts down. Just like a standard falcon. They only need to produce maybe 30kw or so to cruise at 120km/h so use only around the same as any car, even a small car.

Ive also had 27 l per hundred out of an AU XR6 (driving around 200 brakin, back up to speed, brake ,back up to 230...). What else have people had for their cars? has anyone had a track day and figured out their consuption?

when you floor the Turbo, im sure I could get 30 or so l per hundred. They basically act as if they were a big engine, more air in, need more fuel, double the air with boost, that's like doubling your engine size, so maybe it could behave like an 8 litre!

Id think, flat out along a hwy, about 30 l per hundred sounds about right.

But drive it like a grandma, and u'd get under 10 im sure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Lifetime Members

according to the NRMA 1000k test drive:

http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/cars/buy...alcon_xr6.shtml

Fuel efficiency

This depends upon how lead-footed you are. A turbo can have a ferocious thirst if you push the pedal hard and often, but the XR6 is so powerful and responsive that this is unnecessary. On the highway, expect about 10 litres/100 km; around town, 14 -17 litres/100 km. Premium unleaded is recommended.

• The Noble Leader
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 6m 13d

Well according to the fuel consumption sticker stuck to the windscreen of my car it says 12.5L/100KM which is pretty good. Cost me $50 to fill it up with PULP yesterday at Shell.

• SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Lifetime Members
Well according to the fuel consumption sticker stuck to the windscreen of my car it says 12.5L/100KM which is pretty good. Cost me $50 to fill it up with PULP yesterday at Shell.

And what are you really getting at the moment?

• Member For: 21y 5m 23d

Thanks for that - after searching high and low for this, I was resigned to waiting until someone got theirs delivered.

I think the time to order is getting close...

• Member For: 21y 4m 23d
Here in Canberra Optimax is 9.7 cents a liter dearer.

Where in Canberra are you? I take posession of my mobile this Friday and I'm driving down to show my brother in Canberra on Saturday. You may catch a glimpse, or was that a blur.....?