Turbo Fuel Economy

Superoo

• Member For: 21y 5m 23d

Since a few of the members here have their Turbo's now and been driving them for a while, what's the fuel economy like? For some of us that will be picking up there turbo's soon we are interested in how they go at the bouser.

Can you explain the type of driving you do compairing the economy....

Like mainly city and I get?????

or

Mainly highway or both...etc.

Just curious that's all :innocent:

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 5m 5d

Baah dunno wot ya's are all worried about my old torry was runnin at 20lt/100km :innocent:

and i average 100 odd k's a day :P

Does anyone know the url for the online Premium Fuel Servo Finder?

I remember seeing it yonks ago but lost it in a reformat.

• Member For: 21y 4m 17d
Since a few of the members here have their Turbo's now and been driving them for a while, what's the fuel economy like? For some of us that will be picking up there turbo's soon we are interested in how they go at the bouser.

After 1500kms I'm at 12.8L/100kms. That's including some straight line fun as well as your standard driving. Once my friends stop asking me to take them for a spin and I start driving more normally I would expect it to come down to around 12.5

That's in the manual model too.

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 18d

Finally got to take my baby for a decent run today. Filled up with Optimax, reset the computer and headed off to Melbourne.

Filled her up when l got home, took 56lt to do 490km! The computer said 11.8lt/100, actual works out to be 11.4 (25mpg). Driving mix was probably 350km highway cruising @115km/h and the rest city stop/start.

l had a mate with me who hadnt been in it before so there was a decent amount of "show me what it'll do". l reckon its excellent economy considering the weight of the car and the power available. :)

• SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 9d
took 56lt to do 490km! The computer said 11.8lt/100, actual works out to be 11.4 (25mpg). Driving mix was probably 350km highway cruising @115km/h and the rest city stop/start.

Great to hear that they're not too thirsty :D

• Lifetime Members

I have a ZL Fairlane ... the old faithful 4.1 EFI ... has a TO3 Garrett and intercooler, set at 0.5 bar (7psi) and produces lotsa torque (more than the BA) and full boost from 1200 rpm to 4000 rpm

In four years and 100,000 km it has averaged 12l/100km or 23.5 mpg. This is in mainly country and outer suburban type conditions but I do use the power on hand and it is not spared any opportunity to let it have it's head.

I would expect the BA to do a bit better than this with it's new age technology.

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 18d
In four years and 100,000 km it has averaged 12l/100km or 23.5 mpg. This is in mainly country and outer suburban type conditions but I do use the power on hand and it is not spared any opportunity to let it have it's head.

I would expect the BA to do a bit better than this with it's new age technology.

You have to remember the BA also has to meet all the current ADR's for emissions/noise etc so it is disadvantaged compared to your car. The BA is also very heavy so even though your car is a Fairlane l would think the XR6T would match it for weight.

l am hoping to get better economy than this once the car is run in but l still think its pretty good. A few years back we had a 3.5lt Verada that never got better than 11lt/100 no matter how or where it was driven. Given that it probably weighs 250kg less than the BA, is front wheel drive and has 45% less power then it makes the XR6T's economy look pretty good.

Yours sounds like a great setup though.

• Lifetime Members

Mondie> I think you may have mistaken my last point "I would expect the BA to do a bit better than this with it's new age technology".

I was referring to "better than this" being better than my old 4.1 ie better than 12 l/100km.

Yours is already showing better and will improve even further after 5000km or so. What you have recorded is around what I would have expected, and I agree with you that for the weight and power available it is really very good fuel economy.

My ZL is probably even lighter than the BA as I have taken out a lot of the sound proofing and insulation - it is incredible how much weight is stuck onto the firewall and tunnel. As I have fulltime forced ventillation through the engine room I don't need the insulation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Formerly Turbo6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 11d

Even if it you go to an extra 5l per 100kms, work it out in real dollar terms. Not much money for the entertainment value. Granted, it could cost in the long term but if I was concerned about fuel economy, I would buy a Honda Jazz and take the stick for the massive drop in porformance.

You get what you pay for!