Turbo Oil Supply Screen Cleaning

Ralph Wiggum

• Member For: 15y 6m 28d

No mate your just trying to remedy a FORD built in f$$kup!

I think the problem is with service intervals. I change my oil and do an oil flush every 6,000 odd kms and never the ford recommended 10,000+.

My car did over 240,000 with the factory filter before I changed it to a new factory replacement filter only because of new tune witb more boost was being done and I found this to be cheap insurance. My car had been previously tuned for several years prior to that.

Theres two schools of though 1) to change to an after market filter and 2) to replace with a factory filter...both have merits......do whatever makes you sleep well at night

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 24d

You forgot the third and cheapest thought which is to remove the standard filter and not use one...

If WRX owners do it with their little teeny weeny turbo-eeny then we have no problems with ours!

• Like 3

You forgot the third and cheapest thought which is to remove the standard filter and not use one...

If WRX owners do it with their little teeny weeny turbo-eeny then we have no problems with ours!

lol yes but I was thinking of the options when using 'a' type of filter.

Yes there is this 3rd option too

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 4d

The original reasoning behind an input screen is sound for a sand cast block.

Ford forgetting to mention it needed to be removed at the first service? Not so sound.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 10y 2m 26d

I just bought one of the earls turbo oil supply kits and was wondering how much it would cost to get a mechanic to install it's going in for a service next week but if it's gonna cost me an extra 100+ to get it installed I'll do it myself it sounds pretty simple. How much have use been charged for it??

An hours labour should cover it by a mechanic although it shouldnt take more than an hour. You dont want to rush and kink the pipe that's on the engine block end when removing as you may want to put it back if you ever sell the car.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 9y 10m 24d

Small revival on this 11 page thread.

After reading the entire thread, I decided not to bother with the Earls Oil Filter kit I had bought and decided to just remove the existing in line filter (my car has done 200,000ks)

I used the following tools:

7mm socket

8mm socket

long extension

mid extension

Ratchet

24mm deep socket

Phillips Head screwdriver

Very small but long Flat blade screwdriver

Rag to clean your fingers, barely any oil in this method.

Building on all notes from this thread, I took the following method:

Using the 7mm socket and short extension and ratchet, I loosened the flexible air intake hose away from the airbox lid.

Using the Phillips Head screwdriver I removed the intake snorkel.

Using the 8mm socket and long extension and ratchet, I removed the three bolts holding the bottom of the airbox in.

With the airbox removed, locate the oil supply line electrical connector and disconnect, eyeballing using a torch next to the throttle body.

Using the 24mm deep socket and mid extension and ratchet, I removed the connection up to the banjo connector. Ensure to catch the copper washer. (The banjo connector and line did not show any movement, you may need to secure the 24mm bolt behind it if it does move. A 24mm long ring/open ender inserting from above, would do this.)

At this point, using the very small flat blade screwdriver, gently insert into the pass through bolt. If it goes in more than an inch, the filter has already been removed.

Otherwise, gently but firmly remove the banjo connector and collect the copper washer. Note, one side will likely be rougher than the other.

Using the 24mm deep socket and short extension and ratchet, remove the last bolt.

The following was outside my process so not sure on tools; Inspecting the last bolt, take out the circlip and the filter and discard both.

Installation is the reverse of removal.

This did not require removal of the car's Z9 oil filter, did not need any jacking up, was not tight to work on, did not lose me any skin off my fingers and all up took me 30 minutes.

Thankyou to all who contributed to this thread.

Edited by Mace1979
  • Like 3