bcl Toughest BA Turbo Legacy Donating Member 3,408 Member For: 23y 9m 5d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 21/11/06 09:03 PM Posted 21/11/06 09:03 PM I wouldn’t be pushing that much boost (1.5 bar) through it until you resolve the issue.To go over 330rwkw I’d definitely look at changing the plumbing, to make it far more efficient…. I.e swapping the airbox and battery.Most of the guys running over 350rwkw use aftermarket plenums, that I’d expect will give you 20 to 40rwkw (as a guide).Once you get to 370-380rwkw you are getting close to the limit of the stock turbo, and to get 400rwkw on stock turbo you need an extremely efficient system, and someone who knows how to tune very well. Over 400rwkw a turbo change/upgrade is mandatory, and preferably with custom exhaust manifold; very few people in the country are running that sort of power level.Good luck.Brian
F6 RAPID Formerly Turbo6 Legacy Donating Member 2,332 Member For: 23y 8m 22d Location: North Brisbane Posted 21/11/06 09:51 PM Posted 21/11/06 09:51 PM Nizpro plenum and intercooler, minimum 4 inch dump, cat and 4 inch exhaust, good fuel pumps/pressure, injectors, tough bottom end but all this is for absolutely nothing if you don't have someone than can tune the thing properly.Are you using a piggyback?? I hope not............As Brian said, there are not that many people running 400+rwkw's (only a couple in Qld I believe) so to that point, there are not many tuners around that have the experience of tuning 400+rwkw's - it is not as simple as just adding boost and fuel - it does have to be driveable and all the rest.Interestingly enough, my stock turbo is still running the stock actuator as is Simon's (Xtreme) so the proof is there that it (turbo) can support these power levels - although, this is it........... may as well disconnect it - the wastgate...........
F6 RAPID Formerly Turbo6 Legacy Donating Member 2,332 Member For: 23y 8m 22d Location: North Brisbane Posted 21/11/06 09:53 PM Posted 21/11/06 09:53 PM bah 400!!!!! is that all!!!!! 500 is the next 300 get with the times!!!!!!!!! ←Haven't you got to get to the hospital to have another child today?? Well, not you personally but I am sure the wife will appreciate you being there.............
Headsex Legacy Donating Member 2,528 Member For: 21y 1m 19d Gender: Male Location: Melb Posted 21/11/06 10:06 PM Posted 21/11/06 10:06 PM Since the cams were changed, whoever's tuning it has the painful task of adjusting all the SD tables..... Something alot of tuners dont understand how to do.I suspect if they dont know what they are doing, air/fuels are going all over the place, and load is being determined incorrectly.dan
DAWSEY Member 441 Member For: 20y 9m 20d Gender: Male Posted 21/11/06 10:49 PM Posted 21/11/06 10:49 PM I have the same setup as you...cams and all.and I am having the same problem.we have found that I need to get my waste gate modded to hold the boost.I am making 320rwklw at 3500rpm but after that my waste gate is blowing open.can you post a dyno of your run. cos you can tell alot from it
GOLDIE My new toy Legacy Donating Member 5,344 Member For: 23y 5m 7d Gender: Male Location: stanthorpe wine capital of qld. Posted 21/11/06 11:47 PM Posted 21/11/06 11:47 PM This could be what I had which was the auto not being able to take the extra power and slipping on the dyno.The more boost put in the less power on the dyno.IanPS we pulled the boost out and the power increased.
F6 RAPID Formerly Turbo6 Legacy Donating Member 2,332 Member For: 23y 8m 22d Location: North Brisbane Posted 22/11/06 03:34 AM Posted 22/11/06 03:34 AM Does it really need cams for this power??Personally, I wouldn't and haven't. Simon (Xtreme) is still running standard cams at 507rwkws............
gogo Member of team Kittens Member 609 Member For: 22y 7m 6d Location: Melbourne Posted 22/11/06 04:05 AM Posted 22/11/06 04:05 AM (edited) there are plenty of things that need to be considered...If it holds boost at high rpm, then it is unlikely to actuator. A boost curve for be very helpful...If AFR's are fine then fuel system is fine - you are not out of injectors I presumethe fact that you are making good power early, but not being able to sustain the torque at higher engine speeds does indicated the car is not breathing as well as it needs to...The standard induction plumbing is definitely going to make getting higher power levels a challenge, and I would suggest that 400rwkw would be most difficult - this would be the first thing you should look at...I am not familar with the PWR exhaust - what cat is it running? - and even though this is an aftermarket unit, should be checked as many fail when pushed.I presume you are running very good valve springs - you will need to as the back pressure on your engine from the turbo will be extremely high given the combination of high boost and standard induction plumbing (meaning the turbo has to work even harder to deliver the boost). which ones are you running? I am aware of instances where supposedly good aftermarket springs have not been able to support higher power levels...On this note I would presume that the high back pressures I would imagine are present will severely limit the amount of advance you can acheive with 21 psi, relative to the 16psi tune - this may account for why power is doing what it is...similarly as other have mentioned, getting the cam set up correctly is also important and a challenge - not really necessary for the power levels you are trying to acheive - most running in the 400's are still running standard cams...And that is all on the presumption that the transmission is in fact holding the power.Get up some more detailed information and we can delve a little deeper...good luck cheers,Ben. Edited 22/11/06 04:06 AM by gogo
XR06T Legacy Donating Member 4,146 Member For: 21y 3m 7d Gender: Male Posted 22/11/06 05:17 AM Posted 22/11/06 05:17 AM I am not familar with the PWR exhaust - what cat is it running? - and even though this is an aftermarket unit, should be checked as many fail when pushed.←no cat he said earlier..interesting thread!
boosted_sa Member 270 Member For: 21y 2m 11d Posted 22/11/06 05:19 AM Posted 22/11/06 05:19 AM I picked up 40rwkw from changing intercooler and plumbing. That was without changing anything else (inc tune). Same dyno. That was from a PWR direct cooler to a Custom jobbie. So deffinatly something to look at.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now