-
Posts
609 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Events
Store
Everything posted by gogo
-
Guess I will see you princesses along with the semi clad princesses on Thursday... Anyone want a lift from the Penisular?
-
bump! did someone say pi$$ up? best I come along - just to make sure you lot behave you understand! sorry... (just getting in early!)
-
Hi Shaz!!!! Unfortunately nothing earth shattering (well mybe that is a good thing! ). I resigned from my old work in October, and started work for Melbourne Water in December. I had a significant number of projects to hand over before leaving, some of which had years of history, so it was a huge task that I did not actually finish properly until probably mid Feb. As a consquence I was just working huge hours, and then when I started at Melbourne Water , going to my old work after hours to help finish things. I basically just eliminated a whole lot of stuff that I liked to try and deal with all that crap. This made for a VERY boring benny for a couple of months. Since then I have been busy trying to just focus in on the new job, as well as get some house plans finalised, and get some normalicy back into my life! and now finally I can start to get really excited about the T again! woot woot! cheers, Ben.
-
Hi Marcus! just tell me when - you know how I HATE to have a drink...
-
hi mate! Car is not going at the moment - the engine is currently out of the car and is on the engine dyno at Nizpro. Following the run to the snowies - Simon was not quite 100% happy with the engine, so rather that run the risk the boys pulled her out and stripped it back down. That happened last last year. Everything was checked and retested (remembering my engine was the first engine to be build to a whole new set of specs) before being put back together. This has been a very slow process as the boys have been busy and I have not needed the car and have also busy (more on that later) but have wanted to be involved. The engine dyno will be the perfect spot for the final development of the Stage IV, as we can far more easily test a lot of things, and isolate changes so the impacts of a single thing can be meassured. We can far more readily collect a lot more data as well so lots of things are goingto be assessed to make sure the kit is the best it can be. At this stage it is expected the testing will cover a number of stages - Inital stage will be: - more than 1 manifold design - several different turbo chargers mostly smaller than Bcl's, but bigger than stock These will be done using the best possible exhaust arrangement and the water cooled intercooler. Once a preferred turbo/manifold arrangement has been finalised, the in car intercooler and plumbing will be introduced. Tests will be completed on the standard Nipzpor stage II arrangement as well as a new 'high capacity/power' arrangement that has been developed. Placement of temperature and pressure logging points around the system will enable the losses and performance to be carefully monitored. Once that has been done, then we may even play with exhausts to soo what impact this has on the performance. Then it all gets re-installed back into the car - and away we go. The way things are looking, I would expect the engine is likely to still be on the engine dyno for the dyno day. If it is it may be possible to do a demo run dependant on where we are at. I am getting on top of a few things now, as have the boys at Nizpro, so hopefully things will start moving forward again fairly rapidly! cheers, Ben.
-
Hi to all! when I made the decision to spend a tad less time on-line late last year do in part to a bunch of other changes in my life, I can honestly say I did not expect that it would take me this long to extract the digits and get back on to say hi! I see I have missed out on some great cruises and I am sure lots of other exciting happenings! Hope everyone here is well! Come say g'day! Cheers, Ben.
-
I should be there - not sure in what vehicle yet, but regardless sounds good. Will meet you somethere along the route most probably... cheers, Ben.
-
Nath, The T5 will be a little bit of pot luck - it will also depend how it was treated by the previous owner(s). I ended up swapping mine out - but initally this was because I was getting jack of destroying clutches, and there were better options available for the T56. I got my new OEM T56 for about 5k, plus there a re a few other things you need (mount and rubber, yoke, clutch). Given the age of the cars now, it may well be possible to get a box second hand. If money is tight, then as Jimmy said, do what you are going to, but treat the car with respect. Mine had done 80,000kms and never gave any signs of trouble before I changed it, and I had around 300rwkw for the last 10,000 of these. With your mods, I would add valve springs before intercooler - just my 2c. The figures quoted are about right. 250-280rwkw - would should get a reasonably conservative tune through the mid-range to limit the likelihood of GB damage. 1/4 times - depends how you can drive... Most of us have struggled with getting good times out of the manuals - say 13's with a reasonable run, high/mid 12's have been done with about that power and the t5. Good luck and happy driving - they are a great car stock, better with the correct mods. cheers, Ben.
-
Sorry to hear Ivan!!!! hope it gets sorted shortly and you find the next bigger and better thing!!! Good luck mate! cheers Ben.
-
a bbq has been discussed in the vics chat thread.... good option IMHO - was some talk about combining this with a Christmas Cruise, but I reckon we go to someone's place who is central.... Cheers, Ben.
-
Important to keep up the exercise program.... no really..... good pics Shaz - well most of them
-
great post Tim - very informative and detailed... Man you have seriously put some work into it! Would love to do something similar, but doubt I would have the patience to go through all of that! great stuff mate! cheers, Ben.
-
Bugster - it is not so much that the single larger system is natively better - it is just that for the space in the falcon, I would think it is easier to get a single, higher flowing pipe through, than two smaller pipes that will flow the same amount. There are also penalties for spliting the flow just as there are for making flow go around a bend, or any other change in direction, shape, crossection etc.... Based on experience with WATER flow (which will have different boundary effects and so behave differently to the compressible flows of cooling exhaust gases) I would expect a single 4" to flow a similar amount to twin 3" pipes... since I think unlikely that you would fit twin 3" pipes through the space, I would expect a single 4" to be a better option for an integral waste gate arrangement... And yes - a freer flowing exhaust will allow the turbo to spool a little earlier and a little quicker - but the key to this is the back pressure on the turbo resulting from flow through the whole exhaust - the lower the back pressure, the earlier, and greater the pressure drop across the turbine wheel - meaning the greater the amount of work the exhaust gasses are doing earlier... dump pipe is only one part of this equation (although being closest to the turbo - agruably one of the more important bits or pipe), and I suspect that if you were spending money, CAT would be the No. 1 choice for cash, as I would expect the cat to offer the greatest resistance... again - hope this helps... cheers, Ben.
-
Not that it helps much, but the new Nizpro engines are super quiet - expensive - but very very nice.... Unfortunately if you are using the normal spec parts and engine build then the noise is just something you are going to have to live with....
- 353 replies
-
- Atomic
- Atomic Engine
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
hi Bugster! I would look at it like this - most changes that will make the car breath better - whether they be exhaust or induction will have some benefit, particularly in top end performance - but also with things like fuel economy. So from this point of view - a better dump such as the smb will enhance performance, however you could probably chase up to in the order of 350rwkw using the standard dump arangement. More than this might be acheivable, but suspect losses will start to become unacceptable... As to the arrangement - twin versus single - this really probably depends on the wastegate arrangement. If you are retaining the standard turbocharger with the integral wastegate, then you would only be looking at a single larger diameter dump pipe. The dumps like mine that Nizpro make with the seperate waste gate pipe, are mostly done that way to get maximum flow through the physicaly space available. Key is that the dump arrangement has the capacily to flow both the total volume of gas, and if a twin, the maximum flow rate for wastegate so boost can be controlled, and for the main part of the dump high enough flow so back pressure on the turbo is minimised... The arrangement which acheives these two the best (and fits) will be the best regardless of configuration IMHO hope that makes sense.... cheers, Ben.
-
there are plenty of things that need to be considered... If it holds boost at high rpm, then it is unlikely to actuator. A boost curve for be very helpful... If AFR's are fine then fuel system is fine - you are not out of injectors I presume the fact that you are making good power early, but not being able to sustain the torque at higher engine speeds does indicated the car is not breathing as well as it needs to... The standard induction plumbing is definitely going to make getting higher power levels a challenge, and I would suggest that 400rwkw would be most difficult - this would be the first thing you should look at... I am not familar with the PWR exhaust - what cat is it running? - and even though this is an aftermarket unit, should be checked as many fail when pushed. I presume you are running very good valve springs - you will need to as the back pressure on your engine from the turbo will be extremely high given the combination of high boost and standard induction plumbing (meaning the turbo has to work even harder to deliver the boost). which ones are you running? I am aware of instances where supposedly good aftermarket springs have not been able to support higher power levels... On this note I would presume that the high back pressures I would imagine are present will severely limit the amount of advance you can acheive with 21 psi, relative to the 16psi tune - this may account for why power is doing what it is... similarly as other have mentioned, getting the cam set up correctly is also important and a challenge - not really necessary for the power levels you are trying to acheive - most running in the 400's are still running standard cams... And that is all on the presumption that the transmission is in fact holding the power. Get up some more detailed information and we can delve a little deeper... good luck cheers, Ben.
-
not 100% sure, but I don't beleive so - I have one tune for my car which has all this turned off, and button has no impact other than to turn on traction control light... Light still flashes when TC would be operating, but the ability of the system to shut down cylinders has been removed... cheers, Ben.
-
-
As always a great time, and fantastic to catch up with the NSwelshmen (and woman) and to put a few more faces to names! Phewww... even managed a tad more decorum this time.... but just in case SORRY..... Many many thanks to the guys for organising it - thank you!!!! A great drive - really good fun, and a nice way to have my first play in the car with the new engine. The other highlight was getting the opportunity to swap cars with Brian, and actually drive the blue beast.... WOW - that car is just utterly amazing. Not just the power which Brian aptly described and brutal and massive, but the whole set up, ride handling etc is first class... I guess I am going to have to start saving the pennies again... Thank you Brian for the trust and the opportunity to experience getting behind the wheel of your incredible machine! Cheers, Ben.
-
You may Jack - however there will be no sickness in my car please - besides - shouldn't you behave so you can make sure I do
The home of XR6 Turbo enthusiasts for over 23 years. Join a passionate community dedicated to the Ford XR6 Turbo and FPV legacy. From builds and tech talk to events and classifieds – it’s all here.