Top Speeds

mickyxr6t

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 2d

Found it...

Peter’s troops aren’t naïve about what can happen at very high speed, but they can’t be expected to know everything. The stuff they have thought of is the stuff I needed them to think of. There’s no way, for example, you’d try this on stock Falcon brakes, so four-piston APs are reassuring.

So it’s one last fiddle to temporarily disable the standard 230km/h limiter and blaze, quickly, before the computer figures out it’s been diddled.

As engines go, this is strong. Bloody strong. So strong that the sweeper onto the runway is best taken, delicately in third. Into fourth and the thing’s huffing and howling.

Falcons normally stall in fifth. Not this one. It just keeps surging. But then the air starts to play around the nose at, maybe, 260. Hard to know, with the speedo non-functional.

A bit faster and it starts to move all over the track. It’s getting to be seriously hard work with the tacho needle j-u-s-t off the limiter, maybe 30 revs shy. The engine’s not the problem, it’s the aero. Avalon’s airstrip is wide enough to land jumbos, but I doubt any of them ever uses this much width. It’s just walking the nose across the road and back again, sometimes sharply.

And then it’s over and through the trap. The aero is, if anything, worse under brakes. While moving off the throttle and onto the brake pedal, the thing steps a good three car widths sideways, then another three as the nose pitches. From there, it’s junking left, then right, and then back again until, around 230 or so, it all becomes fairly benign.

It took a lot of road to stop, probably because I hadn’t appreciated exactly how fast it was travelling. And it was travelling bloody fast, 307km/h didn’t seem right when it came over the radio, but in, hindsight, with the way it moved around, it kinda made sense. And I’m, not real sure I want to do it again.

Make's you wonder what one with the T56 would of got with the right diff ratio.

Guest xr6t300
  • Guests

230 in the T and backed off so me mate in his 05 XR8 could catch up :laughing:

220 in the Phoon no drama's but cars were coming up fast so had to back off no doubt we'll give it another crack some time. :msm:

• Playing with Sports Bikes...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 5m 30d

Adam...

245kph in 5th with more revs and a full gear to go... and stable as anything and still pulling like a freight train!

3.46 ratio... so I can only imagine it would be an easy 300 and something.

Jack :laughing:

• Poison Fish. Poison Fish. TASTY FISH!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 13d
Found it...

Or something like Brians? Salt Flat's here we come :msm:

I think you would need a modified kit, a less severe supercar one maybe?

Lumpy :laughing:

• Member For: 18y 5m 19d

Aero instability... there are probably easier options than lowering the car. A larger front splitter ie one that doesn't have to go over a kerb or driveway or some underbody aerobits like extending the cover under the engine aft of the front axle line... as well as a couple of deflectors in front of each of the wheels.

The other issue from an aero point of view is how the air flow separates just aft of the cab and over the tray. Looking at it, this is going to cause some lift just thinking about how the laminar flow will start developing vorticies where it separates from the roofline just aft of where the roof ends...