RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 9d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 24/06/06 01:27 PM Posted 24/06/06 01:27 PM If I was to put a larger IC, say like the wogcooler, what would I expect the AFR's to look like?I'm thinking due to the improved flow through the bigger core, the turbo wouldnt have to boost as high to reach the standard boost level, therfor creating less heat and faster throttle response. The reduced intlet temps would be a worth while gain on their own, but would the AFR's lean to far? Or at all?
G6ET8U Playing with Sports Bikes... Legacy Donating Member 1,927 Member For: 20y 11m Gender: Male Location: Whistling, GTX. Posted 24/06/06 01:36 PM Posted 24/06/06 01:36 PM I can't give you direct comparison but I fitted an F6 intercooler with a larger cat and my after the fitment of both it had a bit of a 'rattle' in it... on a stock car I believe this will rear it's head as over-boost or go in to limp mode... But then again from having read a few other guys posts who have fitted an intercooler (whatever brand) without edit or similar they have got away with it... to get the full value of the intercooler you will need to have the car custom tuned to suit...Where are you located RAP1D? If your in Melbourne I could take you for a run in my car if you like... but be warned, you will want to start modifying straight away Jack
macka'sxr6t Member 1,480 Member For: 22y 4m 2d Location: Mildura Posted 24/06/06 01:39 PM Posted 24/06/06 01:39 PM I don't see how the bigger IC would effect A/F ratios. Rather, I would think that the bigger IC would improve the spooling and response of the turbo by reducing restriction. ECU maybe more likely to go into over boost limp mode because of the turbo spooling quicker. macka
RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 9d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 24/06/06 11:29 PM Author Posted 24/06/06 11:29 PM Thanks for the offer JAck but Im in sydney... but Im keen as to mod this sucker:)How is the boost controlled? If its ia a normal EBC then I would imagin the EBC/and or ECU would just keep boost down to the factory setting. But psi aside wouldnt their be more CFM of air flowing through which would lean?
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 15d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 24/06/06 11:36 PM Posted 24/06/06 11:36 PM Edit should be done before the Cooler.It is a good platform to build from, even with the generic tunes. You can custom tune after you get injectors and coolers
RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 9d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 25/06/06 07:09 AM Author Posted 25/06/06 07:09 AM Edit should be done before the Cooler.It is a good platform to build from, even with the generic tunes. You can custom tune after you get injectors and coolers←Yeah true, but it would be nice to know a decent IC can be fitted without any fuel mixture dramas.I'm used to driving cars with decent sized front mounts... I'm sure poeple point and giggle at the sight of my wee intercooler
FPV TRANNY Im the one and only Legacy Donating Member 3,557 Member For: 21y 8m 22d Gender: Male Location: In my house Posted 25/06/06 07:18 AM Posted 25/06/06 07:18 AM People my laugh at the stock frontmounts but mine made over 400+ hp at the tyres Look a bigger I/C is fine on a stock car but do the injectors and edit and exhaust cause other cars will see your bigger frontmount and want to race you and if its a stock car chances are you will get your arse kicked too.
Muzza No V6 for me thanks!! Legacy Donating Member 583 Member For: 21y 1m 23d Location: Newcastle Posted 25/06/06 07:20 AM Posted 25/06/06 07:20 AM If I was to put a larger IC, say like the wogcooler, what would I expect the AFR's to look like?I'm thinking due to the improved flow through the bigger core, the turbo wouldnt have to boost as high to reach the standard boost level, therfor creating less heat and faster throttle response. The reduced intlet temps would be a worth while gain on their own, but would the AFR's lean to far? Or at all?←They are tuned as rick as hell stock so I'de be sure that a bigger ic will not lean it out one bit.Muzza.
RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 9d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 25/06/06 07:28 AM Author Posted 25/06/06 07:28 AM Thanks for the input guys.
JimmyXR6T04 Member 1,299 Member For: 21y 3m 9d Location: Canberra Posted 25/06/06 08:16 AM Posted 25/06/06 08:16 AM its not an intercooler, but during my stages of mods, I had to run a 4 inch cat on a standard car till my tune arrived.. funnily enough, I had no overboost, or no limp mode. The boost gauge remained a constant 4.5psi. I think the ecu will tolerate some differences, and adjust accordingly. However, the full benefits wont be felt until its been tuned with aftermarket ecu or edit.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now