F6 Vixen Member 5 Member For: 20y 4m 27d Posted 22/05/06 10:26 PM Posted 22/05/06 10:26 PM HiI have just purchased an F6 Typhoon and have been told that I need to run the computer in before doing any modifications. Your thoughts??I am in Mackay in CQ. Are there other members in the area?
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 23d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 22/05/06 10:31 PM Posted 22/05/06 10:31 PM While I am not in Mackay, I also have a F6.Firstly Welcome to the site and the ownership of the best car under $100k in Australia.As for the running in period, you should drive the car normally, but do not thrash it too hard. Full throttle is ok, just enjoy driving it.Give us details on the F6 you bought
Blonk Iconoclast Legacy Donating Member 4,330 Member For: 22y 10d Gender: Male Location: CH Posted 22/05/06 10:36 PM Posted 22/05/06 10:36 PM I think there are a couple in Clownsville...As posted elsewhere,Welcome Vixen,Run in with varying revs, no long constant cruising, and frquent soft shift changes, every now and then give it a squirt. but maybe stay off the rev limiter for the first 1000. Change oil at about 3000. It appears from history those run in hard go hard, but there have been acceptions to the rule.It is not the software you are running in it is the hardware.. I.E. Mechanical components.Try to get a K&N filter or equivelant in there asap. Dont baby the thing Anyway Vixen, everything you ever needed to know is here, plus some great people, you will have to work out which one are which your self. And again, welcome to the addiction.
RAPHOON Legacy Donating Member 1,776 Member For: 23y 3m 10d Posted 22/05/06 11:08 PM Posted 22/05/06 11:08 PM Welcome Vixen.The computer is software and does not need any running in as such. It does have a self learning capability which will alter settings based on your driving history.I'm on my second turbo and have extracted good stock power out of both units by running the car in hard.Vary the revs and work the gears up and down the rev range. Be a little easier for the first 1000k's.Pay for an oil and filter change at the 3000k service and after that it's open slather.
Dagabond Bored Member Administrator 35,722 Member For: 23y 10m 23d Gender: Male Location: Dé·jà vu Posted 23/05/06 01:16 AM Posted 23/05/06 01:16 AM Could be that there talking about the computer learning your driving habits and adjusting to suit....Drive it like ya stole it.
SavageF6 Legacy Donating Member 1,622 Member For: 22y 5m 18d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 23/05/06 08:24 AM Posted 23/05/06 08:24 AM I drove mine like I stole it, despite promising myself I wouldn't. I gave it HEAPS of stick, rarely 'cruised it' but stayed well away from the rev limiter (manual trans). Didn't go above 4000rpm during the first 1000kms, but stamped on it whenever possible.Changed oil at 3000kms to semi-synth, then full synth at 7500kms. Don't be skimpy on the frequency of oil changes, or on the quality used - go for the best money can buy and you'll be a happy camper.
SHOCK Team Grandpa Legacy Donating Member 1,921 Member For: 20y 5m 7d Gender: Male Location: Hunter Valley Posted 23/05/06 08:29 AM Posted 23/05/06 08:29 AM I drove mine like I stole it, despite promising myself I wouldn't. I gave it HEAPS of stick, rarely 'cruised it' but stayed well away from the rev limiter (manual trans). Didn't go above 4000rpm during the first 1000kms, but stamped on it whenever possible.Changed oil at 3000kms to semi-synth, then full synth at 7500kms. Don't be skimpy on the frequency of oil changes, or on the quality used - go for the best money can buy and you'll be a happy camper.←And what brand of oil what that be Sav?
F6 UTE - Track Bound EVO III - Member 3,367 Member For: 21y 9m 22d Gender: Male Location: Strapped in and holding on Posted 23/05/06 08:37 AM Posted 23/05/06 08:37 AM Congrats, Not many of us Vixen F6 owners about!!!!!!!!!!I drove mine pretty hard, up to the limmiter and the car is faultless ( enginewise ) after 48,000k's. PIX????
freaky Member 29 Member For: 20y 5m 10d Posted 23/05/06 09:35 AM Posted 23/05/06 09:35 AM Congrats, Not many of us Vixen F6 owners about!!!!!!!!!!I drove mine pretty hard, up to the limmiter and the car is faultless ( enginewise ) after 48,000k's. PIX????←what is the rev limit with the ZF ?
SavageF6 Legacy Donating Member 1,622 Member For: 22y 5m 18d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 23/05/06 10:27 AM Posted 23/05/06 10:27 AM I drove mine like I stole it, despite promising myself I wouldn't. I gave it HEAPS of stick, rarely 'cruised it' but stayed well away from the rev limiter (manual trans). Didn't go above 4000rpm during the first 1000kms, but stamped on it whenever possible.Changed oil at 3000kms to semi-synth, then full synth at 7500kms. Don't be skimpy on the frequency of oil changes, or on the quality used - go for the best money can buy and you'll be a happy camper.←And what brand of oil what that be Sav?←Well, I'm using Castrol Edge 0W-40; car's done 15,000kms. You're looking at RRP $70 for that stuff, same price as their 10W-60. I was using Mobil 1 oil until 15,000km no real reason for the brand swap though.I didn't want to go full synth until I'd done enough kms to be satisfied that the rings were well bedded with the thicker mineral.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now