cdm Member 886 Member For: 23y 11m 27d Posted 30/03/06 06:56 AM Posted 30/03/06 06:56 AM Hey. After having a set of 19" Starcorp Impul Racing rims in my cupboard for about 8 months I have finally decided to fit them to my car (was waitng till the 18's were out of tread). Any, the rears fit (just) but the fronts wont clear the PBR calipers (same as Ford premiums).....Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, how did you solve it? We tried 2x3mm spacers and it was close, but not quite enough...If I use 8-10mm of spacers it should be enough to clear it however I don't know the details of doing this.....Are they legal? Will they alter the handling in any way (wider stance at the front)....Can they lead to extra stress and premature failure of any front suspension/stearing components? Will there be enough thread available to 'safely' secure the front wheels? Are some better/worse then others? Why? The tyre guy seems sure that it is possible to remove the front studs and replace them with longer ones. Is this possible? If so, where in Melbourne and how much?THANKS!!Chris.
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 14d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 30/03/06 07:07 AM Posted 30/03/06 07:07 AM So basically you have rims with an offset far too small??Why dont you sell them and buy some of the correct size? Save farting around with spacers... can't say it would be the safest option having extra bits of metal in there.
2fardown Member 526 Member For: 21y 4m 27d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 30/03/06 07:27 AM Posted 30/03/06 07:27 AM As far as I know spacers are also illegal?
Falchoon I see red Member 5,758 Member For: 23y 9m 22d Location: nowhere in particular Posted 30/03/06 08:24 AM Posted 30/03/06 08:24 AM SOmething like this may be what you are after. I think they cost ~$500 though...
GlennAUII Former XT pilot Legacy Donating Member 4,791 Member For: 23y 2m 15d Gender: Male Location: The Womb Posted 30/03/06 08:31 AM Posted 30/03/06 08:31 AM spacers and hub adaptors are illegal iirc.
cdm Member 886 Member For: 23y 11m 27d Posted 30/03/06 08:40 AM Author Posted 30/03/06 08:40 AM Faaaaaaaaark...I bought them after being told specifically that they would fit over the PBR's. The person I bought them off couldn't fit them on their car because they had the Brembos.....And I know they will fit on over the standard brakes because they are the same wheels that iTec used to have.Hmmm...because I bought them so long ago there is no point trying to argue about it....What is the problem with spacers? Why are they illegal? Falcoon, where did you get hubs etc from in that picture? I only need the fronts as the backs fit fine....Grrrrr. I've already bought new rubber etc for them aswell as my 18's are dead....Cheers
xlnt6 Legacy Donating Member 350 Member For: 22y 7d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne, Victoria Posted 30/03/06 09:03 AM Posted 30/03/06 09:03 AM Chris,You bought those wheels off me. It's been so long since you got them and I assumed you had already fitted them.Anyway at the time, as I said they don't fit cause of the Brembo brakes, but I never said anything about PBR "premium" calipers, I'm pretty sure the last time I saw your car it had standard brakes on it.That doesn't help you now, but I can provide the following suggestions. You can fit spacers legally if they are attached permanently to either the disk hub or the back of the wheel. The best option is to the wheel, rather than the disk effectively leaving the car standard. The spacer should be the minimum thickness that provides the required clearance, ie 8-10 mm (as you indicate), to ensure the wheel/tyres clear the guards at full bump, and minimize extra loading on the hub assembly. The extra track will actually improve on-road handling. To attach the spacer you can drill a 2x small holes (ie 6 mm) thru the spacer in a convenient point which can be diametrically opposite one another (for balance), althought such a small weight delta will be negliable. Then you tap the holes in the back of the wheel hub and use countersunk screws to fix it in place.You'd want to do this all the wheels so you get the same offset on each and ensure interchangeability.It's a bit of mucking around, but that's the best I can offer. I'm very sorry about the trouble, but I guess you can sell the wheels and find something else. There's a lot of guys with stock brakes, so you should have no problem.CheersRobin.
cdm Member 886 Member For: 23y 11m 27d Posted 30/03/06 09:40 AM Author Posted 30/03/06 09:40 AM Chris,You bought those wheels off me. It's been so long since you got them and I assumed you had already fitted them.Anyway at the time, as I said they don't fit cause of the Brembo brakes, but I never said anything about PBR "premium" calipers, I'm pretty sure the last time I saw your car it had standard brakes on it.That doesn't help you now, but I can provide the following suggestions. You can fit spacers legally if they are attached permanently to either the disk hub or the back of the wheel. The best option is to the wheel, rather than the disk effectively leaving the car standard. The spacer should be the minimum thickness that provides the required clearance, ie 8-10 mm (as you indicate), to ensure the wheel/tyres clear the guards at full bump, and minimize extra loading on the hub assembly. The extra track will actually improve on-road handling. To attach the spacer you can drill a 2x small holes (ie 6 mm) thru the spacer in a convenient point which can be diametrically opposite one another (for balance), althought such a small weight delta will be negliable. Then you tap the holes in the back of the wheel hub and use countersunk screws to fix it in place.You'd want to do this all the wheels so you get the same offset on each and ensure interchangeability.It's a bit of mucking around, but that's the best I can offer. I'm very sorry about the trouble, but I guess you can sell the wheels and find something else. There's a lot of guys with stock brakes, so you should have no problem.CheersRobin.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for your advice Robin...Before I bought them I actualy spoke to about 3 tyre places (as I was calling around finding out the RRP of the wheels) and they all said they would fit over the Ford premium brakes no worries. My appologies if I inferred that it was you who told me they would fit... None the less...I think I will purchase the spacers tomorrow and fit the wheels to the car. Then when I get a chance, I will whip them off and properly attach the spacers to the rim..I just hope that there is enough thread to safely hold the wheels on (will obviously check this before I drive off)....Thanks.
jEtONiT Legacy Donating Member 1,817 Member For: 22y 11m 2d Gender: Not Telling Location: next door.. Posted 30/03/06 10:06 AM Posted 30/03/06 10:06 AM good luck chris, hope all works out 4 ya. be sure to post some pics once u have the wheels on, should look mint with the bodykit
fraggle Yes I am too tall for my hair Member 261 Member For: 22y 8d Location: Launceston Tasmania. Posted 30/03/06 10:28 AM Posted 30/03/06 10:28 AM SOmething like this may be what you are after. I think they cost ~$500 though... <div class='bbimg'></div><{POST_SNAPBACK}>Saw them at my local BOB JANE the other day they was only around $35 each for memory could by wrong
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now