geea Site protagonist Legacy Donating Member 4,320 Member For: 23y 4m 26d Gender: Male Location: At the lights, waiting for you. Posted 15/07/05 05:34 AM Posted 15/07/05 05:34 AM Picked up my car from HPF yesterday after it had a 2 day holiday there. When I arrived Dave (Goldbullet), Rob (MrTurbo) and George (BlownBA) were gathered having a chat and Adam's car (xarh6turbo) was parked over to the side. Quite a little gathering, I told Rob (HPF) who used to be a Expensive Daewoo man that we we're taking over. When I ran my 10.87 I borrowed a surge tank off of Gary Pope, thanks Gary. This enabled me to run with less fuel and avoid the fuel surging I had been experiencing when running mid 11's on less than 3/4's of a tank. This was only a temporary solution and was removed after the run. Since then Rob has been working on a permanent solution. This is what was fitted to my car. It's mounted on the rail under the passengers feet. After driving around with it for the last day you wouldn't know it was there. No noise or vibration. It looks like it came off a V8Supercar, it's awesome. I don't have any pictures yet but will post some when I do.I'd suggest that anyone looking at running 11's or quicker talk to their tuner about one of these as it means you can run with less fuel which is less weight. It also eliminates the risk of engine damage due to fuel starvation.Geea.
blueboost Member 1,204 Member For: 22y 4m 12d Gender: Male Location: Mackay NorthQueensland Posted 15/07/05 05:43 AM Posted 15/07/05 05:43 AM Sounds good Craig, I run with almost full tank, and yes that costs about a tenth of sec, I would be very interested in what you have done any wieght we can take out of these heavy cars has got to help,
Geeseman Legacy Donating Member 1,805 Member For: 22y 11m 11d Location: Sydney Posted 15/07/05 06:16 AM Posted 15/07/05 06:16 AM Interesting news craig. How did you know you had fuel starvation? what symptoms did the car show?3/4 of a tank sounds high for issues. Where is the fuel taken from in the body of the tank?
Blown BA In Your Face Member 6,195 Member For: 23y 6m 29d Gender: Male Location: Peninsula Posted 15/07/05 06:30 AM Posted 15/07/05 06:30 AM When I arrived Dave (Goldbullet), Rob (MrTurbo) and George (BlownBA) were gathered having a chat and Adam's car (xarh6turbo) was parked over to the side. Quite a little gathering, I told Rob (HPF) who used to be a Expensive Daewoo man that we we're taking over. Geea. <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That was a Mini Cruise Craig and it was a good one
geea Site protagonist Legacy Donating Member 4,320 Member For: 23y 4m 26d Gender: Male Location: At the lights, waiting for you. Posted 15/07/05 06:51 AM Author Posted 15/07/05 06:51 AM Interesting news craig. How did you know you had fuel starvation? what symptoms did the car show?3/4 of a tank sounds high for issues. Where is the fuel taken from in the body of the tank?<{POST_SNAPBACK}>What I've noticed after 200+runs down the 1/4 and having talked with most of the guys that race at Calder regularly is that the faster a BA sedan runs the more fuel it needs to carry. When I was running 13's I needed at least 1/4 of a tank. When I was running 12's and high 11's I needed at least 1/2 a tank and when I'm running low 11's and 10's I need at least 3/4's of a tank. I believe that the BA fuel pickup is at the front of the tank and under constant hard acceleration the car is able to pick up the fuel. The reason I think this is that when more fuel is added the problem goes away.The symptoms of fuel starvation are that the car looses power. I don't know what other damage may occur. I do know that engines don't like not getting enough fuel and that sometimes the consequences can be a blown engine. I'm not sure if that's a possible outcome in this situation but I wasn't prepared to take the chance.The surge tank will mean that I will need to carry over 30liters less fuel, that's got to be a good thing. Geea.
F6 UTE - Track Bound EVO III - Member 3,367 Member For: 21y 9m 23d Gender: Male Location: Strapped in and holding on Posted 15/07/05 08:26 AM Posted 15/07/05 08:26 AM (edited) Didn't know surge tanks were secret??My post, a while ago.. on the same subject.."I tend to dissagree... Fitting a bigger fuel pump wont make it pick up fuel if there isn't any there to pick up.... will it?? A surge tank is what's needed, and I'm not sure why more ppl don't fit them. stock pump feeds the surge tank and the big pump sucks from that. That way u don't have to stuff around removing stock fuel pumps. If your stockie dies, that's a different story, but wouldn't ford replace under warranty?Surge tanks can be had for around $100/$120, then some fittings and pipe. Easy to fit. "Hamburgler - the fuel lines are 'tapped' and the fuel which originally went to the engine, fills the surge tank, the new pump (044) squirts to the engine. The overflow from the surge tank gets put back into the fuel tank. 2Lt surge tank should see problems dissapear.**edit, ideally the surge tank is placed as close to the engine as practical, although for modest power, rear placement is ok.. Edited 15/07/05 08:28 AM by XRT UTE
JB Forum Superhero Legacy Donating Member 3,109 Member For: 22y 10m 11d Location: Eastern Suburbs of Mexico Posted 15/07/05 09:08 AM Posted 15/07/05 09:08 AM Interesting news craig. How did you know you had fuel starvation? what symptoms did the car show?3/4 of a tank sounds high for issues. Where is the fuel taken from in the body of the tank?Geeseman, when they are running out of fuel and particulalrly in Craigs case, you could hear it just after 3/4 part of the track, the car from outside almost sounds like it is missing. If you don'tb know what to listen for you would miss it, but it's almost like a cough, only slight but enough to indicate lost power and a slower time.
Geeseman Legacy Donating Member 1,805 Member For: 22y 11m 11d Location: Sydney Posted 15/07/05 10:06 AM Posted 15/07/05 10:06 AM Interesting. Thanks for the news Craig, Jb.I didn't think a surge tank would be needed until track work but perhaps hard acceleration even in a straight line causes the fuel levels in the tank to change enough to affect the volume of fuel being pumped.Odd that it happens towards the end of the run... I would think that it would be at the beginning when most of the G's are acting on the car under its initial hard acceleration.Perhaps this is the problem I experienced while running (slight detonation at top rpm in gear 3)...Craig, how big is the tank itself? Any pics?I assume it's mounted before your inline pump?thanks
geea Site protagonist Legacy Donating Member 4,320 Member For: 23y 4m 26d Gender: Male Location: At the lights, waiting for you. Posted 15/07/05 10:59 AM Author Posted 15/07/05 10:59 AM Interesting. Thanks for the news Craig, Jb.I didn't think a surge tank would be needed until track work but perhaps hard acceleration even in a straight line causes the fuel levels in the tank to change enough to affect the volume of fuel being pumped.Odd that it happens towards the end of the run... I would think that it would be at the beginning when most of the G's are acting on the car under its initial hard acceleration.Perhaps this is the problem I experienced while running (slight detonation at top rpm in gear 3)...Craig, how big is the tank itself? Any pics?I assume it's mounted before your inline pump?thanks<{POST_SNAPBACK}>The tank itself is about 2 liters. The intank pump, pumps the fuel to the surge tank and then there is a pump attached to the surge tank that pumps it to the engine. It's mounted on the rail just under the firewall. I don't have any pics yet.Geea.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now