Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Skids?
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 4m 25d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Adelaide
Posted (edited)

Been ringing around some exhaust places... and some say it sounds better with the rear muffler removed anyone done it?

Edited by SPOOLAX
  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 19d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Not better, just different. Centre muffler removed is more bassy while rear removed is more raspy.

  • Skids?
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 4m 25d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Adelaide
Posted

Got the center muffler removed sounds heaps better :)

001.jpg

  • 5 weeks later...
  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 4m 29d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melb
Posted

I wanna get this done this week, I hopefully there is some exhaust places open in the SE suburbs of vic

hope there is

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 1m 11d
  • Gender: Male
Posted (edited)

Got the center muffler moved yesterday. Done with two flanges and mandrel bends in 2.5" with two hot dogs. Ttl cost $254.00. At Windsor Exhaust, Richmond fellas there know what there doing would never regret sending someone there.I was told that the muffler is reduced internally to 2 2" inch bits so that would play a part in some restriction.

I think its a fair price sounds much deeper but not too loud, they have a gr8 exhaust note anybody thinking of doing this dont think twice you'll love it. When shifting down gears the car gives off a neat little burbble which is very easy to get used to :dontknow: .Admittedly it is a little noiser on start up but not in a bad way it sounds beefy. Hope this helps in some way thanks for all the info guys :beerchug: . The only mods I have is 10psi Generic tune from CAPA and the typhoon add-on for the air box with K&N filter panel and blow off valve is no longer the stock plum back it goes to atmospher but has a little filter on it preventing anything being sucked it when car is just over idle. All together with these simple mods the car sounds and goes gr8. (Looking 4ward to bigger injectors and fuel pump for the custom tune and a clutch that will frickin hold it all together) :3gears:

Edited by Brendan XR6-T
  • Boost Addict
  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 2m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Belcompton
Posted (edited)

Can anyone recommend an exhaust shop in the ACT to complete this mod or install a high flow cat into a stock exhaust?

Edited by Fryer of Tyres
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Member
  • Member For: 16y 8m 8d
Posted

Can anyone recommend an exhaust shop in the ACT to complete this mod or install a high flow cat into a stock exhaust?

Hey mate , just did mine yesterday (removed center muffler and got a 100 cell 3" cat installed)

Honestly....It stated up and I cringed it was hooniest sound ever...still cleaning vommit from my chest.

This morning rang the fellow to reinstall it.

He did it a few hours ago.

Get the Cat done and leave it there till you get the cash for a 2.5

' twin cat back or a 3.5" single cat back.

REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beerchug:

  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 19d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

The stock exhaust system is barely audiable, you can hear more of the interiors creeking and cracking than the exhaust! When I had mine done I wasn't blown away, but there's a bit of a rumble taking off (under 2500rpm) which then turns into a roar. I couldn't go back to having the centre muffler there now as I've gotten used to it and quiet like it.

My next goal is to either put the centre muffler back and get rid of rear muffler, or just have a straight through system with no mufflers at all :spoton:

  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 11m 18d
Posted (edited)

hey guys,

yesterday I decided to mod the centre muffler on my ba xr6 turbo, instead of removing it, I thought I would cut it open, run straight pipes thru it and weld it back up,

anyway, once I cut the top of the muffler I was "shocked" and disappointed, the muffler is already straight thru, with the only restriction being the perforated pipes are a little smaller in dia then the rest of the exhuast.

imo theres no way the centre muffler is much of a restriction, expecially when compared to a cat.

it did make it sound better, but with out improving flow (well bugger all), its pretty pointless, iam picking up a stock centre section tomorrow :(

anyone know if the rear muffler is straight through or baffled?

Edited by johnopaul
  • Member
  • Member For: 16y 8m 8d
Posted

:buttrock:

hey guys,

yesterday I decided to mod the centre muffler on my ba xr6 turbo, instead of removing it, I thought I would cut it open, run straight pipes thru it and weld it back up,

anyway, once I cut the top of the muffler I was "shocked" and disappointed, the muffler is already straight thru, with the only restriction being the perforated pipes are a little smaller in dia then the rest of the exhuast.

imo theres no way the centre muffler is much of a restriction, expecially when compared to a cat.

it did make it sound better, but with out improving flow (well bugger all), its pretty pointless, iam picking up a stock centre section tomorrow :(

anyone know if the rear muffler is straight through or baffled?

I beleive Its also the same, :bopp: (in the earlier BA models)as I stated before get your CAT done etc...

If your in the ACT I can give you my old (good condition) centre :surrenderwave:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...