Clapper Member 13 Member For: 21y 5m 12d Posted 27/05/05 12:19 AM Posted 27/05/05 12:19 AM I just recently bought a MkII XR6 Turbo, in Auto.I just have a concern at the moment.Whenever I place the car in PARK, and it rolls a bit while in PARK. Then when I place the car in REVERSE, the car makes a loud 'clunking' sound from about the rear of the car. It is quite loud.I just drove a auto Falcon stationwagon, and it's no where as bad as my XR6T.I was just wondering if any other XR6T owners have the same experience as I do with this particular situation. Is it common?I realise the handbrake will stop the car from rolling while in PARK, but it still seems abnormal to me.Other than this, the car is going great. But it's a concern.
Logsie Logsie Member 336 Member For: 21y 6m 29d Location: Queensland (Brisbane) Posted 27/05/05 12:48 AM Posted 27/05/05 12:48 AM The clunking between gears is normal .With the handbrake some people have had some issuse as to it not holding after a few months and have to get it retightened I havent had this drama yet, but this issue has been spoken about in previous forumsI hope this helps
slikxr6t Master of my domain! Member 438 Member For: 22y 9m 25d Location: Victoria Posted 27/05/05 12:51 AM Posted 27/05/05 12:51 AM Depending on the angle it's parked on, mine is often difficult to shift from park to reverse and makes a loud clunk when forced. Has done it since new. Doesn't happen too often so I can't say I've worried about it much.
C.S.I Member 651 Member For: 21y 9m 25d Gender: Male Location: Gold Coast Posted 27/05/05 12:56 AM Posted 27/05/05 12:56 AM I would have thought that it was to be expected.If you put the car into park on any sort of slope, then let the car 'roll' before applying the handbrake, then the auto lock will take all the tension. When then moving out of P, obviously into reverse, as its the next gear, you will get a knock as the tension is released. I wouldnt worry about it.Try applying the handbrake at the same time as using P.
maximum_velocity Lemming No #5 Member 1,991 Member For: 21y 10m 18d Gender: Male Location: Endeavour Hills, Victoria Posted 27/05/05 02:54 AM Posted 27/05/05 02:54 AM Easy way to fix this is when your parking your car first shift the tranny into Netural then rip up the handbrake. Take your foot off the brake now and then slide it into Park. I bet there will be no clunking sound, it happened to dad in his territory so he tried that procedure and now it dosent make the noise.
CHIPS Great rack Legacy Donating Member 1,351 Member For: 23y 6m 15d Gender: Male Location: Geelong Vic. Posted 27/05/05 03:23 AM Posted 27/05/05 03:23 AM I just recently bought a MkII XR6 Turbo, in Auto.I just have a concern at the moment.Whenever I place the car in PARK, and it rolls a bit while in PARK. Then when I place the car in REVERSE, the car makes a loud 'clunking' sound from about the rear of the car. It is quite loud.I just drove a auto Falcon stationwagon, and it's no where as bad as my XR6T.I was just wondering if any other XR6T owners have the same experience as I do with this particular situation. Is it common?I realise the handbrake will stop the car from rolling while in PARK, but it still seems abnormal to me.Other than this, the car is going great. But it's a concern.The reason your sedan is worse than a wagon, is because a wagon has a live axle and your sedan has independant rear suspension. With a live axle, you don't have 2 CV joints either side of the diff center, so you don't have nearly as much driveline back-lash (back-lash is what causes the "clunk"), also a wagon has a one piece drive shaft, also reducing the backlash. Hope this makes sense It's undesireable, but fairly normal.
bugster70 Legacy Donating Member 1,326 Member For: 21y 5m 8d Location: Canberra Posted 27/05/05 03:32 AM Posted 27/05/05 03:32 AM Ditto to all the above, mine does exactly the same, more pronounced when parked on a slope. I've also had to have the handbrake adjusted. :(I'll take V8_FRD's tip - seems like a bit of a tedious process but I'm sure it's something you'd get used to fairly quickly.
Clapper Member 13 Member For: 21y 5m 12d Posted 30/05/05 02:44 AM Author Posted 30/05/05 02:44 AM Thanks for the replies guys, you've put my mind at rest.
Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 24y 1d Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 30/05/05 09:11 AM Posted 30/05/05 09:11 AM Clapper> Put simply mate you are not operating the car correctly - thank DOG for autos, the allmighty saviour for those who don't know how to drive.Sorry, just couldn't let a chance slip by On that note and after your quick initiation to the forums mate. Oh, when Ken gets in the initiation will really begin!! I was just filling in during his absence.PS When parking a vehicle with an auto transmission the handbrake should be firmly applied BEFORE placing the selector in P (that's P for PARK). Upon starting the vehicle the foot brake should be firmly applied BEFORE releasing the handbrake and moving the selector from P.PPS It's all in the handbook ...
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 16d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 30/05/05 11:47 AM Posted 30/05/05 11:47 AM There is a hole in your theory though Jeff - you usually don't use the handbrake as it either (a)doesn't work or (b)screams like a b!tch after it has been applied!And I must say I'm surprised you are aware of the proper technique for an auto........surely you have never driven one. Trent.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now