Bonnet Release **merged Topic**

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 24d

Going to sell my BA but need to replace bonnet release as it has broken. Looks reasonably straight forward at first glance. Has anyone fitted one and are there any tricks to connecting and adjusting. The other option I see would be to repair the existing one. Would rather have it done right as somebody here might end up with it.

Thanks

• Member For: 15y 7m 21d

um had to do one at work recently!! :)

first thing to check is that its actually the handle as the handles clips to the bottom of the fuse box and the fuse box actually brakes sometimes so check that first if its the fuse box theyre easy as about 5 screws and 5 plugs um if its the cable theyre a little tricky coz the cable runs through the inner cuard liner on the driver side but they arnt adjustable they just clip on both ends :) p.s the fuse box brand new is bout 65 buck the cable is bout 30 ebay is your best bet for the parts if your not in a hurry hope this helps

have a good one

• Member For: 18y 5m 2d

I have to change mine, its broken in the handle end cause its a crappy plastic lever but the spare part is modified with some metal piece instead.

The Ford guy said to pull out the grill and piece of scuttle over the radiator, remove the inner guard enough to move you hands around, I think he said to tie the new one to the old one to pull it through. If I get a chance on the weekend ill do it and post a how to do here.

• Member For: 15y 5m 26d

they've redesigned the handle, so that it grips differently. mine broke the handle and the fuse box.

get one of the new release handles, and see if you can just take the ball knuckle out of the old handle and put it into the new handle and you wont have to replace the cable. If not, you're probaby better off pulling the front quarter panel off as its not hard, and it'll make the job easier

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 24d

Matte, thanks for that, I will see if the new handle will fit on the old knuckle.

cheers

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 15y 5m 26d

why does it take so long to install? an hour seems like ages to install something seemingly so simple..

I have only seen photos of the new unit, so im not 100% sure of the mounting points but im guessing from what you've said that you need to remove a few things to mount it.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 17d

To do the job proper, you need to remove the front quarter panel, the front grill , one of the overhead radiator supports and the actual locking mechanism. You need to unclip the old cable and then feed the new cable in the support clips, and obviously take a bit of care so as to not chip any of your panels and realign once fitting. So I reckon an hour is what it will take the average joe with his basic socket set, the more savvy will get it quicker.