Progress Update: How Is BCL's Car Going?

PASHEN

• Member For: 18y 10m 9d

I love your attitude Brian :spoton: I don't think I've ever heard you whinge or complain once about something breaking (mind you, having a 360rwkw F6 and STI is some awesome back up), and as you say, it's basically expected with the amount of effort put into that car.

Good to see you're keen to press on and keep going, I look forward to the next stage :agent:

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mal Wood Automotive
  • Member For: 21y 1m 11d
Brian, I recall Mal woods saying that he will give a FREE 6 speed to anyone that has been able to break one :spoton:

Well I got Brians T56 back to the shop at long last and we stripped it tonite, NO BROKEN GEARS. I am sending a report through to Brian with photos and I amagine he will probably put something up. But the offer still stands, FAT TONY if HE breaks one I will replace it . :spoton: Mal

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 5d
Well I got Brians T56 back to the shop at long last and we stripped it tonite, NO BROKEN GEARS. I am sending a report through to Brian with photos and I amagine he will probably put something up. But the offer still stands, FAT TONY if HE breaks one I will replace it . :spoton: Mal

Thanks Mal, I called tonight, you were on the phone, so I had a long chat with Ben instead.

Looks like all those runs in 5th stuffed a circlip; anyway I look forward to reading the report. It's a tough old gearbox.

Your advice was spot on.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members

Yes, I'll give an update soon, including CV info and pics.... there's been a lot happening lately.... with this car, the F6 and my STi.

An eboost2 was being installed yesterday.

The car is in Melbourne, and I need to catch up with Simon for a detailed report.

Brian

• 4 weeks later...
  • Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members

Guys,

It is with regret that I announce that XR6T8U is no longer with us.

I did something very stupid 3 weeks ago; ran a tune on the street that was way over the top; wrapped the car around a tree; happened way too quickly, before I had a chance to get used to the car again, or detune it for the street.

My last car accident that was my fault was 29 years ago (1978).

Luckily neither myself, nor my 2 nephews in the car with me, were injured.

I can afford to wear a financial loss, but the thought of harming people dear to me is something that I don’t know how I’d ever cope with.

It shows that no matter how old you are, or how good you think you are, the worst can happen in the blink of an eye.

So be very careful guys!

GIO decided to write off the car (statutory write-off), as there was major damage to the side of the car, and the whole chassis was bent.

They would not give me salvage rights, and today I bought the vehicle back at auction.

It looks like the engine, brakes, gearbox (brand new), entire drive-train and mechanicals (and upgraded CV’s) are quite OK. One of the rear wheels is stuffed. I wasn’t going that fast when it happened, at impact probably only around 20kph.

As for manheimfowles, (who auctioned the car today), they decided to nick the Apexi gauges and momo gear knob, plus leave the sunroof open so the whole interior has copped a week of drenching in Sydney’s wet weather.

There are a small number of guys on this forum who were aware of the accident; some heard from a mate of the tow truck driver; some recognized the car whilst it was on the tow truck. My sincerest thanks to you guys for not letting this leak onto forums; otherwise it would have cost me a lot more to get the car back.

In regards to aggressive tunes, they are best left to the drag strip. The car had around 400rwkw at just 3900 revs, and came on way too hard, and over 500rwkw at peak. The previous more linear tunes work a lot better on the street. The eboost2 has made the car far less easy to control, and probably more suited to cars with less power.

In terms of the future I can:

1. strip the parts for sale

2. buy a ute and do a transplant of go-fast bits

3. buy another sedan and do a transplant of go-fast bits

I wouldn’t mind playing around a bit more for a while, as I hate not finishing projects.

I want to see 600rwkw (so close now), and go down the drag strip a few times.

In any event the project was due to complete in a year, as I’m nearing retirement and need to stop these projects and move onto other activities.

Brian

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3d

DAMN!

Brain, mate, I'm glad you and your family members are ok!

Don't buy a ute. You wouldn't like it, trust me!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 2m 23d

WOW.

Glad to hear everyone is ok Brian.

As you said car's can be replaced. I hope you do shortly :crybaby: