QikSmurf Member 246 Member For: 23y 2m 25d Posted 19/01/05 01:21 PM Posted 19/01/05 01:21 PM (edited) I have noticed that when I use 6th gear on the highway at 110km/h the entire car feels and sounds like a B52 bomber. It jsut seems to labour at this particular speed. If I take it up to 120 or higher the noise/vibration goes away.Has anyone esle found this. I feel as though 5th gear is better suited to highway speeds between 100 and 110. I'm not sure if its something I need to bring up at the 3000km service.BTW 2000km on the clock now and it feels stronger by the day Other slight concern is the 1-2 shift still requires a strong hand. A friend of mine drove it and said it felt good. Mind you he drives an XY with a toploader Before the usual suspects chime in and tell me what I already know, you can save your breath.....A MODDED XR6T IS FASTER THAN MY F6! :lol: FPV ARE A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT TO A LOT OF PEOPLE BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...PLEASE FOR ONCE CAN WE STAY ON TOPIC? :lol: Edited 19/01/05 01:22 PM by QikSmurf
Dr Z Member 378 Member For: 22y 7m 15d Posted 19/01/05 01:38 PM Posted 19/01/05 01:38 PM Qiksmurf, it doesnt hurt to get it checked out. I hope other F6 owners can help clarify your situation.
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 12d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 19/01/05 07:38 PM Posted 19/01/05 07:38 PM I have noticed that when I use 6th gear on the highway at 110km/h the entire car feels and sounds like a B52 bomber. It jsut seems to labour at this particular speed. If I take it up to 120 or higher the noise/vibration goes away.Has anyone esle found this. I feel as though 5th gear is better suited to highway speeds between 100 and 110. I'm not sure if its something I need to bring up at the 3000km service.BTW 2000km on the clock now and it feels stronger by the day Other slight concern is the 1-2 shift still requires a strong hand. A friend of mine drove it and said it felt good. Mind you he drives an XY with a toploader Before the usual suspects chime in and tell me what I already know, you can save your breath.....A MODDED XR6T IS FASTER THAN MY F6! :lol: FPV ARE A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT TO A LOT OF PEOPLE BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...PLEASE FOR ONCE CAN WE STAY ON TOPIC? :lol:<{POST_SNAPBACK}>What revs is it doing in sixth at these speeds - surely it wouldn't be labouring?And, it's probably not a bad idea to add the last few lines to your signiture :lol:Trent.
bcl Toughest BA Turbo Legacy Donating Member 3,408 Member For: 23y 9m 13d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 19/01/05 08:09 PM Posted 19/01/05 08:09 PM You should not have a problem pulling 6th at 100kph, which should be around 2000-2100 revs with 3.73 diff. I recently had exactly same problem you describe. Once I got to 120kph and above it was smooth. 100-120kph there was a shudder. Below 100kph no shudder.All other gears OK. 6th gear has by far the most load, and will be most susceptible to an imbalances in the drivetrain.My drivetrain was inspected by Mal Wood, and the passenger side inner CV was faulty and subsequently replaced. I won't know for sure if that was the problem until I get my car back.I would get it checked reasonably quickly. I then had another problem which I believe was related to the inner CV imbalance ... the wheel bearing completely siezed.Brian
jdo Member 88 Member For: 22y 3m 7d Location: Mosman Posted 19/01/05 08:22 PM Posted 19/01/05 08:22 PM I have exactly the symptoms you describe, except maybe not quite as pronounced. You can definitely hear the bass-y rumble if you listen when in 6th at about 100-120km/h. It gets progressively better above 110 and is gone by 125km/h.As for 1-2 being tight - yes. I sometimes don't even bother double clutching on the upshift (and I come to idle straight from 2nd anyway) through these two, as it's a pain. Other gears are tops in terms of shifting.That having been said, I do have the obligatory deep-sounding rattle when the box is under any load at all, ie. ~1100 rpm, and in any gear. It just means I try and get away from there quicker QikSmurf - It's scary... every time you mention "I've done xx km" in a post, it's been exactly how many I've done so far. Keep it up
bcl Toughest BA Turbo Legacy Donating Member 3,408 Member For: 23y 9m 13d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 19/01/05 08:37 PM Posted 19/01/05 08:37 PM I'll add that if it wasn't the CV the next thing to check was the clutch, that might have an imbalance.Brian
Buf-Phoon loitering with intent Legacy Donating Member 13,318 Member For: 23y 1m 18d Gender: Male Location: Zombie Birdhouse Posted 20/01/05 08:13 AM Posted 20/01/05 08:13 AM As Brian states check your CV joints , as my T used to labour vibrate at 120ksand Ford claimed wheel balance would fix it Got progressively worse Ford roadside assist said she'll be right shocky had sh*t itself. Wrong T ended up getting a lift on the back of the truck in Albury ,CV joint rooted wouldn't even drive the wheels at all T had to stay in Albury for a week until I had time to go back and pick it up from Ford. BTW fixed under warranty Just a big and untimely hassle in the end
QikSmurf Member 246 Member For: 23y 2m 25d Posted 20/01/05 11:15 AM Author Posted 20/01/05 11:15 AM thanks for the advise, I'll get it checked out. excuse my ignorance but I thought cv joints were only in front wheel drive vehiclesthe thing is the noise goes away at 120km?
MYF6 Legacy Donating Member 172 Member For: 21y 9m 28d Gender: Male Location: Earth, I think? Posted 20/01/05 12:17 PM Posted 20/01/05 12:17 PM My F6 has the same deep bass 'drone' in 6th at 115 - 120kph. Gone after 120kph.My 1 - 2 shift is very tight, but not as bad as down from 3 - 2 which is bloody difficult at times.Are any other F6 owners having problems getting them into 1st or reverse from a stand still?? I know Doc had this problem and understand Dynosteve has it also. I've had it back to the dealer and they have ordered a 'new' clutch and just waiting for it to come through from FPV. Lets hope I get the mythical 'new clips' with it.Have a 1/2 day on the track Sunday so lets hope the clutch holds out till at least Monday :lol: :lol: :lol:
QikSmurf Member 246 Member For: 23y 2m 25d Posted 21/01/05 06:06 AM Author Posted 21/01/05 06:06 AM MYF6,Which dealer is doing your clutch? I may have to look at getting this done too.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now