Jump to content

6speedXR8

Member
  • Posts

    537
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Everything posted by 6speedXR8

  1. Just state the actual facts YEL57, your ute had a rough idle and it was fitted with a road/race solid centre twin plate clutch, these factors directly contribute to roll over noise! With any high/performance vehicle there is eventually a trade off. The Tremec T56 6 speed is a strong robust transmission and is virtually unbreakable. Tremec T56 6speed transmissions are built to run Automatic specification lubricants, Castrol Transmax Z synthetic transmission fluid is the best lubricant that we have found and tested to use in these transmissions, replacing the standard auto/trans fluid in the T56 with the Castrol fluid will greatly improve the roll over noise in these transmissions when the vehicle is idling in neutral at operating temp. The insulation between the engine and transmission is the clutch assembly, to combat the roll over issue the vehicle should be fitted with an effective clutch with an insulated hub. The standard Ford clutch does not have the best in this area hence the roll over noise that a lot of owners are concerned about. At Mal Wood Auto we have been testing an 11'' clutch assembly on a steel flywheel for quite a while with fantastic results, at a recent test we removed a standard clutch from a car and fitted our steel flywheel and 11'' clutch ( with a good quality insulated hub) and the transmission had NO noise at idle. I will continue the testing in my oun XR6T ute, my ute presently runs an 11'' clutch and we will be fitting another unit next week and we will give it extensive testing, I will post the results. Mal Wood
  2. This question is a very tough one, As you know Mal Wood Auto has done a huge amount of development with Tremec Transmissions and these transmissions continue to astound both Ben and Myself with the amount of HP or KW that these will take. I will give you firstly a comparison between the Late model camira T56 and the ford T56. The Tremec t56 as used in the Late model camira has ratios of 2.66,1.78,1.3,1.0,.74,.50. It runs a 26 spline input shaft and a 27 spline output shaft. The T56 as used in the XR6T has ratios of 2.66,1.78,1.3,1.0,.80,.62. It runs a 23 spline input shaft and a 31 spline output shaft. We have a Transmission running the same ratios as the Ford in a vehicle used in competition with 1022 engine HP and it is handling it ok. BCL's transmission was prepared and fitted by us about 12 months ago it has the same ratios as the new Ford. The bottom line is I very much doubt if a Turbo Ford 6, even a highly modified one would break one of these transmissions. The only damage that seems to have occured in some cars is directly contributed to clutch issues, ie the clutch not releasing properly or clutch drag. I have extensively tested our 11'' steel flywheel and 11'' single plate clutch and it has proven to the best option( in my opinion) for the Turbo 6 with a T56 transmission, we have had these in cars with in excess of 300rwkw. We have also developed 2 twin plate combinations for serious road/race application. Mal Wood
  3. The biggest issue with upgrades to a production vehicle is that the higher you go with power increases there is usually a trade off. What I mean is higher engine output can increase stress on all the components of the car's driveline. Most Manufacturers build cars to endure most driving conditions and vehicle usage to a high standard. Power upgrades of around 20/30% don't normally pose a problem. When we upgrade our cars beyond this that is where the trade off starts, for example, High performance upgrades to standard engines can result in shorter engine life, Higher than normal fuel consumption, Engine roughness at idle and road speed etc. Transmission failure in both auto and manual, Clutch failure, Damaged cv joints. I don't want to get too specific with what can happen but you get the picture. If want to you upgrade your car the best anyone can do is ask around, that is the best thing about forums such as this forum. As I am a transmission and driveline specialist I find any 5 speed xr6t that has had a power upgrade over 250 rwkw and the vehicle is driven hard the transmission will fail and the clutch will also fail, that is why we have done so much development with Flywheel, Clutch and T56 6speed upgrades for the XR6T. Mal Wood
  4. With all the adverse publicity about the Twin Plate Clutch and the obvious Transmission problems relating to this, I find it hard to understand why it is so difficult to find a fix. I believe that we at Mal Wood Auto can sort it out, all I need is a car. My offer is this, If anyone is prepared to supply a car we will remove the transmission and clutch assembly and inspect the parts and repair or rebuild. There will be NO cost whatsoever. This is on a first in first served basis only, I am prepared to do ONE car only. I will probably need the car for 4/5 days only, if anyone is interested call me on 0746613548. Mal Wood
  5. It is great to see you are getting some satisfaction at last. At least it is a move in the right direction. I still believe the twin plate is fine in high output applications because a 10.5'' single just won't cut it. For the Typhoon an 11'' single would be much better, I fitted one on a Steel Flywheel with our T56 upgrade in our ute which has 253 rwkw and it performs perfectly. Mal
  6. I have done Two trips lately, one to the Holden/ Ford Show in Melbourne and one to the Summernats in Canberra. On the trip back from Melbourne I stayed in Shepperton overnite and drove straight back to Warwick in Queensland a distance of 1352 K. I stopped for lunch at Dubbo and filled up and then drove straight through to Warwick. I used 132 litres of Premium Fuel, and on the trip back from Canberra I got very close to the same. My ute on both trips had over 400 kg in the back, so I consider that to be a good test. In my opinion it would be very hard to find that sort of economy in almost any car or ute hauling that weight. My ute is an XR6T with a 6 speed, 3.73 diff ratio, stock engine with bigger injectors and an EXEDE. 253 rwkw. With the ute travelling at 100kph in 6th gear the engine sits on 2000 rpm which is ideal. Mal
  7. Hello Everyone, Just a short note to let all our customers and any others interested, we will have a large display this weekend at Summernats 18. We have a large TREMEC/MAL WOOD AUTO display located in pavillion C just down from the Horsepower Heroes. We look forward to seeing you all... We will have a range of transmissions on display as well as some new flywheel and clutch assemblies this weekend and we will gladly field all your enquiries over the next few days.... SEE YOU THERE! MAL, ROB and GRANT
  8. I could never be bored with my XR6T ute it has the right mix for me, 253 rwkw and better than 10 litres per 100k on the return trip from Melbourne only 12days ago.
  9. If you are talking about a wish list relating to cars my list would be a long and varied one. But the my number one on the list would be.... A 1969 Mustang fastback, Red in colour, Retrimmed in Black Leather otherwise all factory inside, Stroked 392 Windsor with Fuel Injection, alloy heads with roller rockers, Mild cam and extractors (looking at approx 450 hp), Tremec T56 6 speed, 3.7:1 9'' diff, 4 Wheel discs,Rack and Pinion Steering upgrade. No need for air or steer, I am from an era when a V8 was the only car you drove, This would be top of my list, But hey we are all different. Who's Next???
  10. I have used both the unichip and the exede, Firstly I had a Unichip fitted and tuned by Bob Romano in Brisbane, it was fitted to a V8 XR8 AU which had a T56 6speed and 3.73 diff, Herrod extractors 3 '' exhaust. The car went VERY well and it was not unusual to get 680 k from a tank. My latest car which is a XR6T ute with T56 6speed and 3.73 diff went to Chiptorque and had injectors and an EXEDE fitted, the result was amazing, 253 rwkw and goes great. On the return trip from the show in Melbourne this week I travelled a distance of 1352k from sheparton to warwick and used 132 litres of fuel, Yes 132 , Now that is a good test and I didnt spare the ponies. The bottom line is MOST upgrades that are available are well worth it, UNICHIP or EXEDE take your pick!
  11. Well the beast is ready, I have just taken it for a run, If brian thought it when well before he will be impressed. Mal
  12. Thanks a lot brian, this could mean more transmissions to build! No just joking,I value any chance to assist anybody with information and choice of driveline components.Mal
  13. The TR3550 and TKO series transmission will not fit as it will hit the tunnel and the gearstick will come through the floor some 100 mm or 4'' forward of the original position, The O12 series T56 6 speed upgrade when fitted to the BA XR6T comes through the same position in the floor and console, uses the same tailshaft and is an easy fit and furthermore with overdrive ratios of .80 and .62, and Not .74 and .50 as in the Late model camira T56. What could be better?
  14. Mal Wood Automotive developed the 6 speed kit for the XR6T. Following on from the success of the Mustang cobra R T56 in many AU series V8's, including the Arrow Coupe, we saw a need for an upgrade in the Turbo. The Kit is a complete one, and the tunnel, etc, remains untouched. Contact Mal Wood for details on 07 46613548. Mal Wood.
×
×
  • Create New...