-
Posts
2,198 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Events
Store
Everything posted by hypnodoc
-
Hi Scotty she's in tomorrow, so I'll know by tomorrow night and post a full report on Thursday kW torque gains and of course power by feel comparison. The guys at Nizpro and the head tuner at APS (who couldn't figure out from Melb why the Unichip became untuable) both report that the car should behave just like a bought one, and should theoretically make 350-360 engine kW. Performance mods will be UNICHIP XR8 factory airbox with BMC filter Twin 2.5inch centre muffler Trans Cooler DBAs all around 400cc Bosch Injectors So long as the valve springs hold out OK that will do me for T dabbling till the series 2 is released. Got a GT-P arriving Feb 04 changed from Black to Lightening Strike and got the dealer to hold up the order so I can have an 04 build. Promised the better half I'll keep it standard, lucky she can't tell the difference between a spark plug and a window washer bottle
-
I have a UNICHIP in my T at the moment and it made good power initially, then the car began losing power (not the fault of the UNICHIP in any way), however the dealer who installed it didn't really want to know so I had to find another, and now all is fine. When I lived in Queensland Chiptorque did work on a VL turbo I owned and did a fantastic job and I never had any problems with the car and it went like an exocet missile. I think both products are good, and both of the manufacturers will give all the tech support that they can. Finding a good and interested installer is the hard part. If I was doing it all again I would be asking for a written guarantee from the installing workshop, if their good at what they do they should have no problem with that
-
I put drilled/slotted DBAs on the front with standard pads, made about a 20% improvement in braking capabilitiy and high speed stability, and 100% in fade. Then put DBA drilled/slotted on the rear with Ferodo pads and completely changed the car, stops on a dime time after time, lost the tramlining characteristics during high speed braking, washes off high speed much faster, and brake fade or vibration is now non existant. Discs $660, Pads $300 inc GST. Slotteds only will be a bit cheaper
-
:D. There is a place in Subiaco Perth called Neltronics (ring telstra directory) that will sell you a clear plastic slip that goes behind your number plate cover and mirrors out any flash at more than a thirty degree angle. From straight in front or behind all numbers come up perfectly clearly, cost about $80 each. Me I have one on each end, never had a revenue raising point stealing notice since, and I've seen at least 10 multinovas go flash as I hurtled past. They are illeagle $50 fine & confiscation but no points. I also have a $1000 Beltronic radar detector (still allowed in WA) useless over 120kph. Big difference between speeding and driving dangerously I say. I pay enough tax as it is without these people, who once upon a time actually did Police work, stealing more money off me in the shadow of a farcical downright pack of lies called the road safety campaine In the word of Plato; If you wish to see the greater part of a society collapse put the Academics in charge. I think Australia is becoming a classic example. Academics and Road Nazi's
-
Hi 1axr. I have emailed my dealers name to you, they are excellent, even give you a loan car BA xt if you give them a few days notice
-
Hi all, I kept a low profile last week waiting in nervous anticipation of my car never going again. The injectors that FORMAZ use are the same as NIZPRO they fit straight into the standard rail. The car is getting it's new diff today and back to FORMAZ tomorrow for the injectors, then I'll get the part numbers etc and post for all to see, they cost approx $120 each with GST (don't quote me they could be cheaper). If you ring Kevin or Tyson at FORMAZ they have already told me they will supply or supply/fit for whoever, you can call them on 08 93315599.
-
:o Put the car in last week (monday) to have 400cc injectors fitted and then began a Drama. Once the injectors were in, the car began to progressively lose power, went back to 200kW max, pinging it's head off even running as rich as bug$#ery with 12lb of boost. The UNICHIP simply couldn't be retuned. After 4 days of watching a mechanic being driven to the edge of insanity the car locked itself into limp mode and that was it, my ford service dept then found that all the codes had come up in the computer, and that a wire which controls the cam timing had come off underneath it's cover (not visable or detectable without a FORD diagnostic programme. This is what FORMAZ in Perth did. 1) Lent me a car. 2) Spent a week trying to find the gremlin. 3) A mechanic stayed late two nights in a row. 4) Stood calmly and patiently in the face of my frustration. 5) Wasted a week of their time and then even offered me a full refund when they didn't have to. 6) When Ford diagnosed the problem, FORMAZ offered to put the bigger injectors back in at no extra charge. Compared to the excuses and fairy tales one usually gets when a mechanical workshop hits a snag, these guys are saints. Bearing in mind that this was an unknown problem on a relatively newly developed car, they didn't give up and they didn't try to fob me off. I might not supposed to do this on the forum, and at risk of a warning I will say to all you other western T owners that if you want mods or a UNICHIP in WA go to FORMAZ. Thanks Kevin and Tyson, your patience and persistance has been much appreciated, and man am I looking forward to that 300+ kWs
-
I have a unichip, XR8 airbox, changed exhaust system, DBA rotors front & rear and spent last week fitting bigger injectors, there began the drama. A wire came off the variable cam timing L.H side (not visable) and there was no way that the car would make more than 200kW, spent 4 days trying to find the issue, the mechanic who has fitted more than 100 unichips nearly went crazy. Anyway the car locked itself into limp mode and threw up every code in the computer. I rang my dealer service advisor, he laughed and told me to bring it over straight away. The head mechanic momentarily panicked when he saw all the codes, then within 5 mins had it all sweet again. The car is in today for a diff centre replacement (under warranty no questions asked) going to try refitting the 400cc injectors and retune the unichip again tomorrow. Anyway my point is that I have owned Holdens, Toyotas, Nissans, and even a 500 cui V8 Coupe DeVille Cadillac, all from new, and I have never ever had such good service from any dealership anywhere in the world, they even fitted my DBAs and Ferodos F&R as a courtesy when doing the brake fix. I have never had any dealership go so far out of their way to help, even when they were within their right to tell me to sod off and void certain aspects of my warranty. Obviously it is customer versus dealer attitude and approach when it comes to what they will or won't fix. So to my service guys at ????? ford in Perth. Thanks guys, that's why I've ordered my GT-P through you : thumbsup:
-
:o Ah ha, I've been buggerising around with new injectors for a week (400cc) behind a UNICHIP, guess what the codes come up and the gearbox drops into limp mode, back to standard injectors for me. The guys a FORMAZ here in Perth have been the most patient and helpful mechanics I've ever dealt with, I would have burned my T to the ground over this issue. I think two things, 1) either the injectors are faulty at new or, 2) those guys who have fitted bigger ones just havn't got the code problem YET as for me I've given up UNICHIP stage one and an XR8 airbox will do. I'm beginning to beleive that the developers of performance packages for these cars aren't as developed as they think they are. There must a few fuming mechanics out there. I think the Ts need a lot more development yet to go beyond stage the so-called stage one. But if you live in WA try FORMAZ at least they know how to fit and tune.
-
Rotors certainly improve the stopping, but the standard pads squeal. Go for FERODOS I say, big difference. Cost $300
-
Thanks Falchoon. It's (the T) is going in next week for Ford to have another shot at the diff replacement, you are dead right, the dealer said it's a replacement job, so now they can kill 2 birds with 1 stone (please god, This time, this time)
-
According to the people who have nothing financially to gain, the standard CAT will flow 350 flywheel kWs. And that is big grunt in anyones book. Look deeply before you spend money on the hearsay of others and you will save plenty, either that or just go straight for a stage 2 UNICHIP Kit
-
I,m having the bigger injectors fitted today $1000 supplied and fitted, if you wanted to buy the right ones (fit straight into standard rail) ring FORMAZ on 08 93315599. I have seen the pressure readings from the standard T fuel pump 100 + psi, that is easily enough pressure to make 500bhp, the trouble is (apparently) that the standard pump loses pressure over time. Still it's easy to waste a lot of un-necessary money playing with these things. A dyno can give the answer to wether the car is getting enough fuel etc. At this stage for me I'm going with the logic of. Unichip and bigger injectors equals more fuel delivery, GT-P airbox and snorkel + bigger centre muffler = more cold air in & faster exhaust out. Brakes don't forget the brakes
-
Hi cheif. Initially I had a stage 1 UNICHIP fitted, running up to 7psi boost. This lifted the engine kW to 287. I then chopped out the centre mufflers and fitted an XR8 snorkel into the front of the standard airbox with K&N high flow filter, noticed pinging at high revs and the boost went up to 8.1psi. kW back to 265 at engine with a noticable loss of power down low. Fitted a 2.5 stainless mandrel bent centre muffler, back to dyno. No change in power or detonation UNICHIP dealer shrugs shoulders and mutters something about all the codes checking OK, after forking out over $2000 he really couldn't give a sh@t me thinks. Found an interested UNICHIP dealer here in WA "FORMAZ" and took car in yesterday for bigger injectors but somebody sent the wrong ones. They did however put the car on the dyno while I was there, and showed me how lean it has been running down low, said I was lucky I didn't have holes in pistons, and that by increasing centre muffler size, boost will lift marginally, car loses power down low as computer retards timing to stop detonation. Anyway they are fitting the injectors today and also a cold air system from the GT-P and retuning the UNICHIP, replacing the BOV and lifting boost to rise to 10psi. The UNICHIP is great and I have every faith in that product, Reiner at their head office is more than happy to talk. If your in WA and you want a UNICHIP fitted, I have learned the hard way. Go to FORMAZ they are interested, they know what they're doing, they experienced performance mechanics, and you won't get some inaudiable muttering and a fob off if you have a genuine issue. I'm hanging for three this arvo. I will post a report tomorrow re results
-
Very good point, then again we've sold everything else, and even if the bits are imported, still Aussies fitting them. But you are right I'd rather keep it all in OZ
-
Ahhhhhhgh! The joys of living Wa Wa land, some clown sent the wrong injectors, another day goes by, perhaps the Ford god is trying to tell me something about living in this isolated place and trying to actually get a car modified. A drive to the Gold Coast in the new year is looking good
-
Took my T to Formaz in WA today for bigger injectors re-tune unichip, talking about various upgrade kits. Kevin told me that the Japanese have taken a turbo engine to the land of the rising sun to develop a Hollywood kit for it (think Hollywood is the brand name). Finally found a workshop that was actually interested, they have a 500 HP rated polished aluminium intercooler they will fit for $1300 onto standard piping or $1800 with all the shiney pipes, if you live in WA I suggest they are worth talking too, it's taken me three months to find them. They are an APS UNICHIP dealer, and because I don't work for them I will post their Ph number and address. Phone 9331 5599. 31 Peel Rd O'Connor. www.formaz.com
-
:o At least the right man won the series. Latest up date on plastic bits for cold air. XR8 factory airbox & all fittings & front snorkel $215 BMC air filter $185 SS Cold Airbox system for XR8 $520 = $920 = DIVORCE at xmas time, = forget $520 for the SS plastic cold air induction setup regardless of where it's made, can get a bigger 500 HP rated intercooler fitted for $1200, now that's worth a xmas divorce
-
I had the same stuff up with my diff, except they relalised it was the wrong one once they took the old one out. The service manager was spewing that they wasted all the labour time for nothing. I have heard some talk of weak valve springs in the early models, they tried 5 different tensions apparently. The GT-P springs do fit but apparently its a head off job to change them. My service manager told me they had a car that (on a post service test drive) jammed a valve and threw a rod through the block. Pity that theres such a demand for these cars that the build quality has to suffer so much. Still hats off to Ford, at least they are prepared to listen and rectify. I had problems with a new VS acclaim I bought in Bris and the dealer wasn't prepared to do much at all. Ended up trading it on an EB XR6. And yes they had the period noise in the diff back then too, but with that car they simply re-lapped it, now they replace the centres, much better after sales service. My dealer gives me a BA XT to drive whenever they have the car for service or warranty. Car (shame it has gremlins) after sales service and warranty can't really complain about Fords and the dealerships willingness to help
-
:( :( Been there, done that. Uuuuuuuuuummm. $2500 later, time to loo.k for greener pastures.
-
Cheers, I thought it might be another build gremlin. The cars going in for some bigger injectors and a unichip retune on monday, then in for a new diff centre thursday (they got the wrong one last time), so it looks like they'll have to use their spanners on the front end to. I'll be glad when all these nasty little annoyances have gone, still worried about the loud chinking/clunking noise turning the wheel left to right when stationary My claytons XRT: The rocket you have when your not having a rocket :banghead: :banghead:
-
Hi All I had my car in for the brake fix last week and the dealer relaced the front rotors with DBA drilled/slotted golds. Noticed that night a subtle steering vibration at exactly 80kph on smooth or bumpy surfaces (doesn't feel like wheel balance), also noticed that the power steering was jumping when turned to reverse out of the carpark. Now to my horror of horrors the steering makes a very loud clicking/knocking sound which you can hear quite loudly at idle when swinging the wheel left to right about 3 inchs. Any Ideas? Perhaps the Ford God is punishing me for missing Marcus's brilliant win, so good to see that big nosed (in more ways than one) Expensive Daewoo driver finally get his come uppance :banghead: :banghead:
-
I'm just being cynical because I've wasted so much dosh experimenting. I totally agree with you regarding the cold air and once this XR8 stuff is hooked up I probably won't be able to help myself. Already contemplating calling Perth exhaust centre on monday to price one up. I can see the advantage of having heaps of outside air flowing straight up the xr8 cylindrical type set up. It has to be more beneficial than the swirl that must be generated by the standard setup with an xr8mod or cold air induction. Anyway have to work all weekend, miss the V8s and no weekend cruise. Enjoy the weekend
-
our supposed to slip the fuel cap between the pump handle and the housing so you don't have to stand there manually filling the car. It is a perfect horizontal fit.
-
Correction on earlier post. The greater part of a nation will more easily fall victim to a big lie, than what it will to a small one. Aldolf Hitler circa 1940 They keep us focussed on speed cameras, hoping that we won't notice them continuing to sell whats left of the farm. Third world dictatorship anybody?
The home of XR6 Turbo enthusiasts for over 23 years. Join a passionate community dedicated to the Ford XR6 Turbo and FPV legacy. From builds and tech talk to events and classifieds – it’s all here.