Turbo Flutter and Blow Off Valves

DaRKy

• Member For: 20y 3m 6d

hey guys,

I have a totally stock 2003 auto xr6t

recently I have noticed when I accererate and back off I can hear alot of turbo flutter, is this normal? I was under the impression you basically wouldn't hear anything in a stocker. should I be taking it to ford to sus out or is it normal?

• Colossal Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 5d

I heard it all the time in my stocker, do you have a cold air induction setup?

Unless you actually hear rushing air while under boost I wouldnt worry.

• Member For: 18y 4m 27d

Apparently if you have a pod filter (K&N, apexi etc) you can hear the flutter or "whoosh" more... my car is stock too and I want to fit a pod soon just to see what noise it makes (as well as performance) :sleepystuff:

• Colossal Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 5d

Things to note:

You will hear it loudest when your not trying to listen to it... and the loudest it will be is when the boost has hit a maximum and you release the throttle. It will not be very loud at high rpm though.

• Member For: 18y 3m 23d

I heard somewhere on this forum, that is this begins to occur much louder than normal, or previously, then you may have loose/missing turbo bolts and or loose manifold bolts, try checking these all first, they are located under neath the heat shields on the LHS. b**ch of a job realy, but I think that you will find that these will be loose. When was your last service? Look, id just do it anyway.. Also, the cooler weather seems to have a slight effect on this if they are all normal. Let us kow how you go!

Cheers! :sick:

• Member For: 18y 9m 3d

I noticed mine was making some pretty nice sounding spool up sounds, but after taking it in for the 15K service, they tightened the intake manifold bolts and it stopped. So no more spooling sounds, but the flutter is still there and pretty audible. My car's a stock 6spd manual.

• Member For: 19y 2m 13d

I am confused! I thought 'turbo flutter' was bad, as per this extract from the turbosmart website.

The “flutter” noise reported by many excited enthusiasts may sound good but is actually very unhealthy for the turbo. The “flutter” occurs when upon shutting the throttle, air caught between the free-spinning turbo and the shut throttle. The consequent back pressure forces the air back through the turbine blades. This process, more commonly called “cavitation” places enormous loads on the turbo and can lead to premature wear of the turbo bearings and other load-bearing components. The cavitation or “flutter” can be fixed by either fitting a blow-off valve onto a system that hasn’t got one, or making sure the blow-off valve is matched to the output of the turbo and is not working outside its flow capacity and ensuring the blow-off valve is set up correctly.

Or is the flutter you are talking about actually the Wooosh sound of the BOV venting into the intake?