UHF CB Radios

Trumpy

• Banned
  • Member For: 14y 9m 10d

So me and a few guys want to get some CBs, but all these ones of EBAY that are 15kn+ range, have no AUSTRALIAN programs and cant be programmed for them (apparently). Now I dont know much about these things so just wondering if anyone can guide me on what is decent.

Something that can be used with Aussie channels and a 15+km range (flat surface) (so looking at a 5w?). Need a few for car cruises but want to also program the aussie channels into. Must be hand held not car mounted ones.

Dont tell me you cant get handheld ones with 15km+ cause on ebay, apparently you can. And I have emailed people who have these 15km ones and say they work fine but cant tune into aussie channels.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 4m 3d

If you're looking for the best, then the GME Electrophone TX6200 is the one to get. Costs around $400. Radio waves are transmitted over "line of sight". Hills, trees, buildings, etc., will cut down on the range. I doubt that you will ever transmit and receive over a distance of 15k under normal conditions.

Normal channels have a range of 3-5k on the highway and duplex (repeater) channels around 10-12k. Some days you may have just the right atmospheric conditions and get out a bit further. Anyone advertising a range of 15k is just pulling your leg.

If you know any "truckies" then they're the ones to ask about UHF radios since they use them everyday.

• Member For: 13y 6m 6d

I`d go GME.. I`ve had Uniden, got a 5 watt car / truck one with scanner ( works a bit around here ) and until it got washed away in the flood I had a Uniden 5 watt hand held with a speaker phone at work. The micro phone thread stuffed up and Uniden just ginned me around for so god damned long ( 3 or 4 months ) my local Dick Smith just bought a new microphone. Pity I`d already bought one meself.

So, Uniden have no back-up and frankly we have a mix of GME`s and Unidens in the machines at work, the GME`s work better.

lolz at Hoff Chick..

Edited by _John_

• The Cleaning Dudes Ute
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 15d

Yeh I bought those unident ones a couple years ago now.

Personally I think a cb radio is a cb radio... meh