Shifter cable replacement

norrs

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 5d

Hi brains trust. I'm buggered if I can find a thread on replacing the shifter cable. My bush at the shifter end of the cable has broken. I have a new cable to install.

Do I seriously have to remove the whole floor console including the front seats to do this job?

FG  BTW

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 5d

ok so what I have figured out is that you don't need to remove the seats.  I think on the B series you did to get the bolts on the side of the floor console.

What I did was remove the middle trim, undo the obvious screws.  remove the passenger side trim of the floor console and the other 10mm bolt on the drivers side near the bottom of the ICC.  remove the boot for the hand brake and shifter. remove the small bolt under the handbrake boot. undo the three bolts surrounding the shifter selector.  there is one tek screw either side of the floor console that can be reached with a 10mm socket extension right next to the seat belt buckle. 

at the bottom of the console box is two tabs you need to get a small screw driver in as you lift the whole console. then it should be able to pop up about 3-5cm. jump under the car and undo the 4 nuts holding the floor of the shifter unit.  then as you lift the console you should be able to wiggle the shifter selector cover out.  I then cut the shifter cable and pulled it through the firewall.  there was no way of getting it out in one piece without removing the floor console completely.  

with the new one, I inserted the cable from the inside of of the car through the firewall.  I then pulled it through from under the car and into position.  I then tucked the shift end of the cable under the passenger trim side (rather than the back and through the middle like the original cable was).  then I could grab it from near the tissue box area and pull it into position.  once installed on the shifter It took a lot of jiggling around to get the selector cover back into place.  its a sh*t design but it can be done.  

once its all clipped in, put it into park (check with the key on) and push the retaining tab down on the transmission end of the cable to secured the position as correctly adjusted.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

good job on getting it done :) hopefully the write-up will be helpful for the next person who comes along with this question :spoton:

• 2 weeks later...