What is the Fix for CV Failures on FG XR6 Utes

Wazza54

• Member For: 3y 11m 15d

My 2009 FG XR6T had what looks like a rear tail shaft CV failure. This is on a vehicle that is 100% stock standard. The CV was on a brand new tail shaft that fitted 12mths ago, so my factory tail shaft lasted 12 years and my new lasted 12mths, not good. I was taking off from a set of traffics lights towing my 1300kg caravan when the failure happened. Nothing different to when the old tail shaft was in.
Now the question is about a fix to overcome this happening again. I have read that King Springs make rear springs with a reverse eye (what ever that means) which will help as well fitting track rods, or both. Has anyone any suggestions that I can do to reduce or stop the CV from failing again.

Thanks

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 3m 17d

Just get another OEM one? seems like that worked well... or get it diagnosed by the place that fitted it if it's under warranty or close to it (you should still be able to tell them about it and make sure of their work at a minimum, get a replacement at best).

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, k31th said:

Just get another OEM one? seems like that worked well... or get it diagnosed by the place that fitted it if it's under warranty or close to it (you should still be able to tell them about it and make sure of their work at a minimum, get a replacement at best).

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

The tailshaft was bought new from Hardy Spicer for $1700, where the one from Ford was quoted just under $3000, you can see the reason why I bought the Hardy Spicer one. Also, the Hardy Spicer should at least be the quality (if not better) than the OEM one and the centre bearing is serviceable as well.  The tailshaft is still under warranty (bought 6/10/2021) so they are sending a new part to fitted.  Like I said in my post, there must be some way of stopping the diff housing from twisting, causing the failure of the rear CV joint.  Hardy Spicer said this is an issue with lowered Falcon utes, but mine is not lowered, but was towing a light caravan which dropped the rear of the car about 10 mm.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 3m 17d

Surely you can get another OEM one from a wrecker somewhere. That's a ridiculous price from either HS or OEM.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 26d

Have a 1350 uni yoke arrangement fitted to your HS tailshaft, they can do everything on site at HS and should of been optioned that way for your application 

That said Albins sell the 1400HP CV that TDSS fit to their Carbon fibre tailshafts … have this merged fitted to your HS shaft 

it’s actually a bit odd as HS actually don’t list a HD CV option on any of their shafts… are you sure you didn’t actually buy just an overhauled standard shaft from HS ? 

The reason is HS option for a slip joint on their HD shafts to suit the “plunge” retract with 1350 set ups, This is what the CV does on the solid factory arrangement… sounds like it’s a slip joint shaft with a CV hence pulling out ?? 

The rubber holding the centre bearing perished and failed on the original tailshaft. This tailshaft was unserviceable as the centre bearing could not be removed and replaced.  So the only choice was a new one.  I didn't want a second hand one, so my only choice was a new one.  I spoke to Mal Wood from Mal Wood Automotive today about a tramp rod kit he sells.  He says by removing the rubber packers and spring saddles as well as installing the tramp rods will eliminate the axle housing wind up, which will stop the CV from failing.  Only trouble is the tramp rod kits are not cheap, but then again it beats sitting on the side of the road with another broken CV. This is the same setup the Falcon utes used in the V8 ute series.    https://malwoodauto.com.au/product/tramp-rod-kit-suit-ford-falcon-ute/  Hardy Spicer are sending a new CV to the workshop who are doing the repairs, which is covered by warranty. I bought it on 6/10/2021.

Edited by Wazza54