Timing Question/Help

adzski

• Member For: 3y 5m 17d

Hi Guys, 

Need some help with a timing question.
For a bit of background on this, I was going through the process of swapping out my rocker cover and during this time I noticed that my timing chain guide (tensioner side) was broken.
I did some reading on the forum and seen an older post that mentioned that this is common if the engine has jumped a tooth, which can then cause the guide to fail.

Below is some pictures of the chain guide 
XR6-Broken-Chain-Guide-1.jpg

XR6-Broken-Chain-Guide-2.jpg

I took the plugs out and wound the engine over so the timing marks lined up, though my orange links in the chain dont match up to the marks on the cams.
I wound the engine over again just before taking the below pic, however on the previous rotation the orange links were slightly to the left, just before the cam marks.
XR6-Cam-TDC.jpg

Is this in time? I seen another post that mentioned if their is 8 links between each mark on the cam (including the one above it) this is timed correctly.

Regards, 
Adam

Edited by adzski

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

You basically just keep turning it until the dots on the cam sprockets line up with the yellow chain links, like below. If it never does (it can take up to ~60 full rotations or some such high number, I can't remember the specifics) then your chain has skipped a tooth and you'll need to remove the chain and setup the crank/cam positioning for TDC and re-install the chain, preferably with a replacement timing kit that would remedy the cause of your timing issue.RPOIsbV.png

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 27d

In your first picture you’ve got the orange link and a yellow, these belong at the bottom when it’s fully aligned

You need to see the two Yellow timing chain links line up with the top cam sprocket dimples 

full rotation is x37 cranks to eventually line up ( from one past all the way too full line up ) 

it looks like this when done correctly, take note of the lower balancer position against the timing chain cover locator mark 

P.S your little broken bit of the guide is bugger all wrong with it mate…. Seen heaps like this and they’re fine. Properly broken timing chain guides are like proper fhucked in regards to just the metal backing piece left ;) 

jvz2qE7.jpg

Thanks @JETURBO, I wound it over some more (11 rotations) and it finally lined up. Was very happy haha

20210827-174411.jpg

So you don't reckon it is worth bothering to change the guide?

The photo you guys post makes me think my engine has hard a really hard life before I got it with poor maintenance. all the staining in the head  and on the cams is pretty bad.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 27d

Nah mate, bolt it back together and carry on with that little piece of guide missing imho.

Yeh she’s had a rough service life but just accept it for what it is, don’t try and use additives to clean it up either just sharpen up the remaining service schedules ;) 

Cheers mate, will give it some thought on which way I want to go. I want to replace the oil pump gears so might do it then as it would make sense to do new chain/guides when replacing the oil pump gears.

Cheers for the help gents appreciate it.