My long term tidy up!

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 30d

A 10psi spring can still make 20psi or so. You're ok on that front.

In your specific case there is a reasonable chance that the pcm will still be able to control the boost with the current tune. It'll still target what it was before though and as such will still make what it was before.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Yeah man, just keep an eye on the boost gauge and an ear out for it, if it starts surging then get off it. In that case it will either need the other spring put back in that it was tuned for or a retune for the lesser spring.

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 4m 20d
For sure! I spoke to a zf builder recently who wanted to plug his lap top in the car to see if the tune was locked so if he could or couldn't make a trans tune for the car. The conversation came up about boost and how ive by passed the solenoid. This got my ass into gear to look at the springs.

The tune certainly needs to be looked at again, cold start is shocking and this boost issue might continue. Happy days are here to stay!

• 1 month later...

Tracked down some second hand bilsteins pretty cheap, fitted them up and the car instantly drives so much better.

Sent a rod out of the block last night. so that might give me the motivation to build and fit the original turbo motor back into the car or abandon the project and give up.

It also appears the heat wrap caught fire and I needed to deploy the fire extinguisher when I stopped. What a huge mess it has made!
170589d5e6ec26642f6a707283a93b7a.jpg7a4b9078037f236ba10b5b0aa374dfac.jpg

• Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Bleh that sucks all kinds of donkey balls. Remind us what happened to the turbo engine for the slackers who can't be arsed searching on a hungover Sunday morning?!

• Like 1

the turbo motor broke ring lands on 2 pistons after a spicy tune theres was some marks on the bore as a result so some measuring and machining will probably be needed but if I do it, I will do rods and pistons etc... Not exactly sure what happened with this one yet just got it towed back to my mates shop. Will be having a look at some point this week. rolling on 4th gear

• Thanks 1

Will find out soon enough. Didnt give me any signs just on the gas and boom. Doing some research now for maybe a spool kit, basic rebuild with rods and pistons. Try and use the best bits out of the 2 engines.