BA XR6 Turbo ute won't start

Diffwa

• Member For: 6y 1m 18d

Hey guys,

I have a 2004 feb built BA XR6 Turbo ute with a 5 speed manual the issue I am having is it wont crank over, when I turn the key to to ON I can hear some relays clicking but no throttle body movement and no fuel pump prime, also I now have CODE on the radio, Prior to this I was trying to sorce the vREF from the map sensor for a project I was working on had the multimeter hooked to that and this all started just after I found a chassis ground in the car. I have check all the fuses relays short jumped the fuel pump and got it to run short jumped the starter and got it to crank but have nothing from turning the key to START.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

"CODE" on the ICC comes from having a disconnected battery at some stage. This goes away when you're able to start the car and get past the immobilisation system by using the standard ignition.

So, my guess would be the battery just doesn't have enough juice.

It's not uncommon for the power steering line to leak into the alternator causing it to die prematurely which causes the battery to be drained and then subsequently the life of the battery is thoroughly compromised.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 24d

Did you pull the trigger wire off the starter motor? I've seen that happen many times on heaps of different cars.

A flat battery would stop a car starting etc but you also said that everything still does it's thing manually which tells me the battery isn't flat.

yeah Puffwagon I can get the starter and the fuel pump to run manually, prior to all this when the key was turned to ON you can here the fuel pump prime as well as the throttle body seem to flutter a little, now there is nothing apart from what sounds like a relay click from inside the car at the fuse box and on other at the ABS module under the bonnet no other noises from anywhere else on the car

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I don't know how much this will help but when you hear a relay clicking it means that it is receiving an input as well as having power to the relay. If nothing is happening then it points to a broken circuit after the relay or a stuffed relay.

If everything is plugged in and there are no blown fuses then you may have chucked 12 or 5 volts somewhere it shouldn't have been and hurt it that way.

I'd double check every plug, fuse and relay without rushing it so you can rule them out. Swap some relays around with known good ones in case one of them is stuffed.

I think I have accidently chuck 12v at the ecu on the MAP vREF line just looked at my multimeter and had the positive probe plugged into the 10A port insted, an't even connect to the ecu via the OBD2 port, the ecu is unresponsive via there.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

You may have fried a wire, plug or part of one, fusable link if there is one or more likely a trace on the pcb if this happened. I get the impression that you would be able to work out how to check this.

21 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

If nothing is happening then it points to a broken circuit after the relay or a stuffed relay.

I mean if nothing is happening after the relay clicks, not if the relay does nothing.