Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • New Member
  • Member For: 14y 1m 23d
Posted

Hi Everyone,

I have a mildly tuned FG F6 ( Intercooler, Cat & tune -320 rwkw) and the other day it blew the hose off between the intercooler outlet and the inlet manifold. The thing I noticed was there was a lot of engine oil in the area where the hose had come off. I took it back to my tuner and the did a compression and leak down test and said it was ok.

I thought it may be an oil seal in the turbo but they have said it is more likely "blow by". I have had the car since new 2012 and it has never been raced and has only done 85,000 Km

The tuner has said that it is more oil than they usually see. They have said the options are to pull the engine down (hone & rings) or fit a "catch can"

It has passed the nominal warranty period but more significantly, due to the mods Ford won't look at it.

My questions are:

- Do you think it is a turbo seal or blow by?

- Will a catch can be worth doing? I know it wont fix the problem but if it stops the oil in the pipework it may be a compromise.

Any advice of comments would be appreciated.

Thanks...

 

  • Dropping a turd
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 11m 2d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

How much boost.  I run catch cans on both circuits.  Definetly worth doing first

  • Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 10m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Probably above atmospheric pressure
Posted (edited)

Got a load of oil in mine, but it's been tuned for like 6 years with no catch cans and at 297,xxx km.

Advice was to use E85 to wash it out internally - no joke.

 

Hopefully fitting catch cans on both circuits this weekend (PCV and engine breather if I recall correctly, not an expert so I'm consulting one)

Edited by -Stever-
  • Dropping a turd
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 11m 2d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

Carefull.  E85 Will remove the paint

  • Like 1
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 11y 8m
  • Gender: Not Telling
Posted

When the turbo died on my skyline there was about a litre of oil in the intercooler. 

I removed it and just washed it out with petrol. 

Get someone to load it up on the brake, if the tune allows it and put your hand over the oil filler hole and feel if any gas is escaping. This will give you an idea of how much blow by it has. Don't get run over though.

  • New Member
  • Member For: 14y 1m 23d
Posted

Thanks everyone for your advice. Will definitely just do the catch can and see how much oil it collects.

Who makes the best catch can or doesn't it matter that much.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 11y 5m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Canberra ACT
Posted
When the turbo died on my skyline there was about a litre of oil in the intercooler. 

I removed it and just washed it out with petrol. 

Get someone to load it up on the brake, if the tune allows it and put your hand over the oil filler hole and feel if any gas is escaping. This will give you an idea of how much blow by it has. Don't get run over though.

Maybe load it up in reverse! ?

  • Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 10m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Probably above atmospheric pressure
Posted

I've lost traction and made it flutter in reverse a couple times, hahaha

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...