Blown Turbo

dazza33

• Member For: 8y 10m 5d

Hi all, new to the forum and the car. My brother has given me his 2003 ba xrt, has a blown turbo.

Didn't realize this till today as I hadn't driven it to hard, really soft actually. Thing is it seems to drive fine with the crook turbo. Im thinking driving with a crook turbo is not good but, any feedback on this at all.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Probably a bit late tonight to do a vid but had it to a mechanic today and he diagnosed a stuffed turbo. Told me I realy shouldn't drive it but if I was then to keep it under 2500rpm something about the turbo not spooling in till then.

Trouble is I don't have another car.

Got qouted $2100 for fully recoed one fitted with some you beaut oil bypass line with filter as the ford ones are no good apparently.

Edited by dazza33

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 3d

Saw this bad boy on fleabay the other day....they seem to talk themselves up as being better than cheaper chinese styled cores?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/XR6T-Turbo-CHRA-Cartridge-Ford-BA-BF-FG-Garrett-GT-3582-3540-3576-R-Turbocharger-/231600789969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item35ec7b99d1

If you go the reco turbo route....@ $2100 you may as well buy a GTX version? There will be a lot of options...

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 9m 6d

There are places repairing garrett turbos. You should be able to find a replacement turbo for well under $1k. Lots of guys upgrading and selling off their original turbos.

You want a direct replacement - dont upgrade to a gtx etc as you will have to pay for a tune and xcal4, new intake etc.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 3d

Unless he wants a tune right now mwhahah :stickpoke:

But yeah easiest would be straight swap OEM for cheapsies....the GT3540 pops up from $600-$800 on most places....

if you want low 300s eventually and fast spool...pick up a second hand gt3576 (FG XR6T turbo)...I think a couple mods need to be done to make it work....rotating front housing or something?? Seen those as cheap as $500

I'm pretty handy with the tools, done a few engine builds, top end rebuilds etc, still a novice but. Never a turbo, how hard are they to replace is there anything special to them? Talking just straight change over.

Any good resources around instructional wise for doing these?

Cheers, Darren.