What's Holding Me Back? 275Rwkw

rapid6turbo

• Member For: 11y 1d

Hi all,

I've got a '05 BA MK2 XR6 Turbo, 4 speed auto.

Mods are:

60lb injectors

Crow heavy duty valve springs

3" dump pipe with divorced wastegate (Advanced brand)

3" cat converter - unknown cells (Advanced brand)

Ported wastegate flapper mod

12psi Actuator

Larger intercooler unknown - maybe Monza / wog style, uses factory piping

Stock cat back system

Walbro fuel pump

K&N filter with 2nd snorkle

Plugs gapped to 0.8mm

New coils

New boost solenoid

New TPS

It's making 275rwkw on 98 fuel and same with injected LPG, was hoping for 300rwkw.

So what parts are holding me back???

Thanks

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 2d

Well I'd be looking at exhaust and cooler straight up. Probably exhaust more so but it's hard to say when you don't know the parts.

Change both to known good brands! 3.5" dump with a good cat in to 2 x 2.5" minimum pipes. Stock coolers can hit numbers once but not for repeated runs, plus your intake temps will be far too high. Stock piping SUCKS too.

I made 320rwkw with older model secondhand Nizpro cooler (still using stock crossover intake but not hot/cold side intercooler pipes), 42lb injectors, intank fuel pump (Walbro GSS294, tuner choice) and splashed out on a full Manta exhaust in 2 x 2.5". That's on a BF with ZF auto but a BA would be above 300 with same mods.

Also depends on the tuner and also the dyno itself. Don't get caught up in peak power figures that can vary wildly from dyno to dyno... run it down the 1/4 and see what mph you trap at.

Edited by -Stever-

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 2m 1d

Did you get the mods/tune done yourself or buy the car as it is now?

If you've just got it done, I'd be asking the tuner what his thoughts on it are.

If you bought it like that it may have been kept low for a reason or tuned to a level that worked both on LPG and on 98 (a dedicated gas tune could well hit the 300rwkw)

I've got 310rwkw on the dedicated gas tune, 275rwkw on a 95 tune (will do a 98 tune one day) and somewhere around 240rwkw on a compromise tune that allows gas or 95 petrol.

• Member For: 11y 1d

I bought the car with most of the mods, but had bigger fuel and LPG injectors installed, so had tune touched up. 275rwkw was the most they could get out of it. It has a LPG computer so that was also tuned along with factory ECU.

The tuner said as the air temps had gone up that's when it stopped making power, the dyno graph goes up then flattens off. I'll post up pic.

From what I've read the stock cat back exhaust should handle 300, and also heard of people with 300 using the monza ebay coolers.

Your help is appreciated.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 2d

FG exhausts are better than BA and FG2 are making well over 300rwkw on stock exhaust. Not so sure a BA exhaust is good for 300 dude...certainly not in combo with a cheap cooler. As you say temps will be up there and that stops the fun.

A cheap cooler can hit a number though, just gotta let it cool off between runs to get it again. Personally that would sh*t me to tears when driving!

LPG is something I can't comment on though.

Also the BA 4 speed robs more rwkw from a given motor than a ZF. Manuals are better again than a ZF.

Edited by -Stever-

• Member For: 12y 4m 14d

IMO, the cooler needs to go first. Choose wisely there - especially if you plan to head up the power ladder.

BF on 98: Stock crossover, PW stage 1 cooler, F6 air cleaner, 1000cc injectors, stock dump, 150 cell cat, manta twin 2.5 cat back, ( so stock pipes to cat back) fuel pump. Made 300 (finally . . .) without a lot of drama. The "drama" was me being stubborn, wasting tune dollars and staying with an F6 cooler which worked fine......... if the tuner ran the dyno in antarctica.

Stever's setup works well - check out the drag strip performance.

• Im the one and only
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 19d

That cooler is not stopping you making power over 275rwkw. I made well over 300rwkw with that cooler. Probably look at your exhaust.