Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 15y 11m 3d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Hey guys I could hear every now and again what sounded like the timing chain hitting the rocker cover when I start the car so I pulled the rocker cover off tonight and sure enough the black plastic guide that sits between the cam gears had snapped off. Luckly I found the guide I one piece and somehow it hadn't fallen down Into the timing cover or worse stuck between the chain and cam gear. The car still runs smooth as and hasn't jumped any teeth but there's a nice rub/groove mark on the inside of the rocker cover from where the chain was hitting the rocker cover every now and again.

My question is what causes the guide to break and do I replace the plastic guide with a genuine replacement and run the risk of it happening again or does someone make a metal/billet replacement one? I know Atomic make a aftermarket bottom tentioner but what about a top guide?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

  • ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 4m 6d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Adelaide
Posted

Common enough problem

Genuine

  • Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 16y 4m 26d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gold Coast
Posted

how many k's on it?

  • Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 16y 4m 26d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gold Coast
Posted

I had a weird reciprocal type noise when I started the car Sunday morning after a long drive the day before. Sort of a click click click going around like something was hitting on the belt. The car was parked on a decline with nose down overnight. Only lasted like 20 seconds then stopped. Did it again Monday morning very briefly and sounded like it was external near the power steer pump. Cold start this morning - no problems. Syphoned out the p/steer res this arvo and replaced fluid.

I just figured with nose down maybe it took a while to get oil pressure. Then Monday if definitely sounded like it was external but internal noise does travel. Is definitely power steer pump side of engine though. Got me worried now as I have a track day on Father's Day.

  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Member
  • Member For: 14y 8m
Posted

I had a weird reciprocal type noise when I started the car Sunday morning after a long drive the day before. Sort of a click click click going around like something was hitting on the belt. The car was parked on a decline with nose down overnight. Only lasted like 20 seconds then stopped. Did it again Monday morning very briefly and sounded like it was external near the power steer pump. Cold start this morning - no problems. Syphoned out the p/steer res this arvo and replaced fluid.

I just figured with nose down maybe it took a while to get oil pressure. Then Monday if definitely sounded like it was external but internal noise does travel. Is definitely power steer pump side of engine though. Got me worried now as I have a track day on Father's Day.

I've noticed the same thing as you described bomber. Have you found out what it was yet?

  • Member
  • Member For: 15y 8m 18d
Posted

Very common. Just happened to mine recently and the guide went around with the chain and the timing jumped a tooth.

However, now it sounds like its happened again only a few weeks later....

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 4m 10d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: @ my laptop
Posted

I have said it many times but I do not believe the guide breaking is the cause of teeth jumping, the chain jumping is the cause of broken guides

  • Member
  • Member For: 12y 10m 17d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted (edited)

How do you figure ratter? I just checked mine yesterday and I have a broken guide and timing is ok.

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/89172-Well-I-Pulled-My-Rocket-Cover-Off!-Then-I-Got-Sad...

Well I Pulled My Rocket Cover Off! Then I Got Sad...

To much rev limiter maybe?

Edited by barnz

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...