Shockworks Coilovers - Installation, Impressions & Pics

Paul30

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 6d

Adjusters are at the bottom on the shockworks and can be adjusted through the wheel. :nyaah:

No need for a right angled neck....

Over to you k31th...

You must have one hell of a flexible lower back to be able to bend over, reach through the wheel and adjust the damper.

How's about a pic?

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m 2d

My rears have the adjusters at the top. I don't need to remove a wheel or jack up the car to adjust. I just lay on the ground next to the car and reach up between the control blade and the body and adjust the damper.

I heard you like to reach around and adjust knobs

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 11y 22d

OK guys, just a bit of an update.

When I installed the coilovers last week, I noticed the front passenger tyre was chopped out big time on the inside and down to canvas. Rears weren't that great either.

So bit the bullet and hooked myself up with a set of Nitto Invos in time for the family road trip to the central west of NSW - Parkes, Dubbo, Mudgee.

We left first thing Saturday morning and, to this point, the good lady wife hadn't been in the car with the coilovers, so I was expecting a barrage of derogatory comments about how rough, bumpy, bad the ride is, as we left Sydney for the mountains. But nothing. It took almost an hour until we got to the first of the twisty bits on the Bells Line of Rd before the first comment was made – “I don’t notice any difference – it feels more comfortable than it did before”. A nice little win there...

As the tyres were only a couple of hundred kms old, I took it fairly easy on this part of the trip, really just enjoying the feedback through the chassis, response, communication and overall experience. A couple of “hot laps” at Bathurst and the obligatory photo shoot added a bit of fun. With the boot full of luggage, the ride height for me is right where I want it. Pity I didn't measure it, but I'd say about 5mm lower in the rear or around 355mm HTG.

The further west we went, – Orange to Parkes; Parkes to Dubbo – the rougher the roads got in some places and, although the damper settings are still on full soft (yeah, yeah) the grip and poise was just sensational and the F6E never once felt as though it lost any composure.

The real treat was saved for the trip home yesterday on the back road from Mudgee to Rylstone via Lue and then on through the Bylong valley to the Golden Highway near Singleton - 160kms of pure tarmac nirvana. Big smiles, grins and a few goosebumps. Probably my only regret was not firming up the dampers a few notches all round, but will save that for another time.

To say the Shockworks coilovers have transformed my car would be an understatement. A great investment.

Cheers

Paul

post-61387-0-48962500-1405499957_thumb.j

post-61387-0-61128300-1405499971_thumb.j

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 9y 9m 12d

First timer post! Big longtime fan of Shockworks. Now that I have an XR6T I'm just waiting for the OE units to fall apart (won't take long...) then go with Shockworks OEM replacements. I'm booked in next week for the GT brake upgrade (as the standard ones are shot, already) but will have to wait for the right time (and $$$s!) to do the dampers. Thought you might like my FB Feedback on Shockworks Coilover upgrade on the '96 Soarer turbo I just sold:

Collected my Soarer after a Shockworks ride and handling makeover. Off came the Koni/King Spring legs - which is generally regarded as a pretty good setup. First impression just driving down a gravel drive - the car was quieter. No rattles or thumps, no shake on the steering wheel. Turned the steering wheel, and immediately the wheels turned. No pause, immediate response. There used to be a window of a cm or two before the front wheels turned, so its much more responsive. A nice tight feeling. Drove slow and quiet over B-grade asphalt road. The car is... calm. I can feel the road talking quietly to me through the wheel, but its not shouting at me any more. I do left-rights, and the car responds immediately. It used to kind of flop from one direction to the other. Now, a twitch and the car twitches left or right. A big move to the left or right and it just goes there, no fuss, easy… calm. Its very flat, there's no roll from one turn to the next. Now I realise that little and big bumps are just quietly being looked after thanks -a bit like a hurdler getting over all the hurdles with his legs only, his body at the same height. Brett drops the phrase "It breathes over the bumps" - that's a perfect description. It copes with dips then bumps, just soaks them up, dealt with. The tyres are just glued to the road, but the body is insulated, enough. Suits the car, a Soarer is a grand-tourer, not an angry sprint demon like an AE86 or GTR. This is a ’96 model with all-factory single-turbo VVTI giving solid torque (about 300nm) and power (about 250kw, ATW 180kw), 5-speed manual and a Torsen LSD. A beautifully built, balanced car, effortless driving. We go through some corners at speed. No roll, no skittering, just traction, grip. Its comforting, not scary. It'll settle in a corner so you know its steering. Brakes, the nose just settles in to let you get weight onto the fronts, so that it actually brakes. Just enough. Same with acceleration, you just feel it squat enough to know the rears have traction. Balanced, calm, quiet. A nice drive. And it’s the same over harsh impacts, and the gravel roads I drive on each day – calm. We cranked it to full Hard from full Soft. The tourer transforms into a go-kart. Its suddenly very twitchy and urgent. Fun, but makes you feel like you’ve had too many coffees! It’d be great on a racetrack, but too edgy for general driving. Back to soft. Aah, this is a pleasure. Perfect… and it was pretty good before! The tuning and installation was done on time. Brett and Chris very interested in my feedback, and offered to tune as necessary. Nice. The price was great. Installed and tuned price was less than a top deal for Koni or Bilstein. I’ve had over 35 cars, and most have had Koni or another good brand of damper. These are the best, by far. The engineering (thanks NeoTech!) is a work of art, through and through. Shockworks design and tuning with NeoTech’s engineering means a brilliant ride/handling combination, with long-life, at a very good price. If you have a good Soarer, Supra or Chaser – do yourself a BIG favour...

Edited by tburke
  • Like 4

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 19d

No worries, mate. Your input (and everybody's) is welcome :) Making it easier for others to understand (or be bothered to take the time to read) your posts is a good place to start :)

:Welcome2FordXR6t: