FiftyOne Legacy Donating Member 1,145 Member For: 13y 3m 10d Gender: Male Posted 01/05/14 01:25 PM Posted 01/05/14 01:25 PM twice this week the speedo on the dash hasn't been working correctly (eg, doesn't even move!) If I pull over, isolate the car & restart & seems to come good. I've also been having intermittant issues with the boost gauge too. Thinking it could be canbus related?? any ideas anyone?
sexual harrassment panda I see a red door and I want to paint it black Legacy Donating Member 5,919 Member For: 16y 11m 16d Gender: Male Location: Far north queensland Posted 01/05/14 07:50 PM Posted 01/05/14 07:50 PM coils? 1
FiftyOne Legacy Donating Member 1,145 Member For: 13y 3m 10d Gender: Male Posted 02/05/14 10:32 AM Author Posted 02/05/14 10:32 AM Engine is a litte rough, thought it might just be plugs? known issue?
spook Legacy Donating Member 180 Member For: 18y 6m 7d Gender: Male Posted 03/05/14 01:13 PM Posted 03/05/14 01:13 PM My speedo was cutting out (restart would fix it) and there was also a can bus related error code. New coils fixed it.
Kosij Legacy Donating Member 2,045 Member For: 15y 2m 1d Gender: Male Posted 03/05/14 06:58 PM Posted 03/05/14 06:58 PM Had a bf, under load speedo would drop to 0, car would splatter!Done some research found a post where a guy spent over $5K on parts. Abs module, ecu, abs sensors and so on, only to not find the issue! He goes to ftg who suggest new coils and bam!!!! Fixed. So I tried coils and problem was gone May sound weird but coils will cause wacky issues. 1
FiftyOne Legacy Donating Member 1,145 Member For: 13y 3m 10d Gender: Male Posted 04/05/14 02:15 AM Author Posted 04/05/14 02:15 AM Coils it is I suppose! Thanks guys. Don't think the boost gauge could be getting the same related issue?
spook Legacy Donating Member 180 Member For: 18y 6m 7d Gender: Male Posted 05/05/14 10:52 AM Posted 05/05/14 10:52 AM (edited) I should add that mine would only do it under load. Speedo would cut out, dash lights flash, stability control light would stay on and the part that freaked me out most - the zf would jump into neutral. One of the coils must have been arching (or shorting out) and causing a spike in the can bus. Edited 05/05/14 10:54 AM by spook
FiftyOne Legacy Donating Member 1,145 Member For: 13y 3m 10d Gender: Male Posted 05/05/14 11:52 AM Author Posted 05/05/14 11:52 AM (edited) Well, it's only money. I can't be assed mucking with something that is intermitent & I have a 1 in 6 chance of MAYBE finding. For a little extra cost on OEM coils I just got some weaponX units. [FlameSuitOn] I know there is mixed opinion on the upgraded coils, I get that. For the furutre upgrades I'll do I don't want potential unreliablity. I'm going for premium equipment, the extra - maybe $125 - for a set over FoMoCo resold units is worth it for the better design of the plug end alone. This new Herrod Voltage booster is also a similar idea re lifting the delivered voltage so I don't really see the difference. Pretty much any excuse to upgrade at this point is fine, so I've gone ahead & got it done. [/WaterProofPants]But thanks everyone for the insight. Wouldn't have thought coils, but as with mot things auto electrical - #BlackMagic Edited 05/05/14 11:53 AM by FiftyOne
Kosij Legacy Donating Member 2,045 Member For: 15y 2m 1d Gender: Male Posted 05/05/14 12:13 PM Posted 05/05/14 12:13 PM Had weapon x. = pooEven 400, 500, 600, 700 rwkw cars run genuine ford coils. For $250 genuine is the way to go. 1
FiftyOne Legacy Donating Member 1,145 Member For: 13y 3m 10d Gender: Male Posted 11/05/14 01:53 PM Author Posted 11/05/14 01:53 PM (edited) New plugs & leads in. Pulled the old ones, two of the coils had some sort of 'rust' like stuff around the boot. I think they might have been earthing to the cover or something??The plugs had "ford" on them, so I assume they are original plugs. A few looked to have orange build up on them around the outside of the outer porcelan.Low end revs are better. everything seems to be a bit better when just cruising around town. 1L/100k better economy, the boost seems to be a little higher, pulls a bit better. Smoother through the range. idle is better, not by much. Not saying the WepX's are the bitches tits, but what I am saying is that new plugs & coils seem's to have fixed the problem.coils are simply a better design, boost gauge is now working 100% of the time so I assume one of the coils that was causing an issue isn't a problem anymore. Don't know if the gains I'm seeing are due to a faulty coil/old plugs or more a mental thing, but there is an improvement. Thanks all for helping to diagnose this Edited 11/05/14 01:57 PM by FiftyOne
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now