Speedo Not Working?

FiftyOne

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 8m 27d

twice this week the speedo on the dash hasn't been working correctly (eg, doesn't even move!) If I pull over, isolate the car & restart & seems to come good. I've also been having intermittant issues with the boost gauge too. Thinking it could be canbus related?? any ideas anyone?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 7m 18d

Had a bf, under load speedo would drop to 0, car would splatter!

Done some research found a post where a guy spent over $5K on parts. Abs module, ecu, abs sensors and so on, only to not find the issue! He goes to ftg who suggest new coils and bam!!!! Fixed. So I tried coils and problem was gone :)

May sound weird but coils will cause wacky issues.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 24d

I should add that mine would only do it under load. Speedo would cut out, dash lights flash, stability control light would stay on and the part that freaked me out most - the zf would jump into neutral. One of the coils must have been arching (or shorting out) and causing a spike in the can bus.

Edited by spook

Well, it's only money. I can't be assed mucking with something that is intermitent & I have a 1 in 6 chance of MAYBE finding. For a little extra cost on OEM coils I just got some weaponX units. [FlameSuitOn] I know there is mixed opinion on the upgraded coils, I get that. For the furutre upgrades I'll do I don't want potential unreliablity. I'm going for premium equipment, the extra - maybe $125 - for a set over FoMoCo resold units is worth it for the better design of the plug end alone. This new Herrod Voltage booster is also a similar idea re lifting the delivered voltage so I don't really see the difference. Pretty much any excuse to upgrade at this point is fine, so I've gone ahead & got it done. [/WaterProofPants]

But thanks everyone for the insight. Wouldn't have thought coils, but as with mot things auto electrical - #BlackMagic

Edited by FiftyOne

New plugs & leads in. Pulled the old ones, two of the coils had some sort of 'rust' like stuff around the boot. I think they might have been earthing to the cover or something??

The plugs had "ford" on them, so I assume they are original plugs. A few looked to have orange build up on them around the outside of the outer porcelan.

Low end revs are better. everything seems to be a bit better when just cruising around town. 1L/100k better economy, the boost seems to be a little higher, pulls a bit better. Smoother through the range. idle is better, not by much. Not saying the WepX's are the bitches tits, but what I am saying is that new plugs & coils seem's to have fixed the problem.

coils are simply a better design, boost gauge is now working 100% of the time so I assume one of the coils that was causing an issue isn't a problem anymore. Don't know if the gains I'm seeing are due to a faulty coil/old plugs or more a mental thing, but there is an improvement. Thanks all for helping to diagnose this

Edited by FiftyOne