Nas Setup - What's Your Storage?

xr6tnv

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 2d

Got a 4-bay QNAP here with 4 x 3tb drives in raid5. Works brilliantly. WD TV Live for media player (which can also handle an external drive plugged in directly)

Setup to sync via FTP with a seedbox so things just magically appear without running any bit-torrent software locally, not that it really matters as I only ever download open source stuff :nod:

I use Google Drive for docs and you can install an app on the QNAP to sync that too. Luckily purchased the $5 per year 30GB plan before they changed the pricing structure, and it's grandfathered so apparently will remain at that price indefinitely as long as the subscription doesn't lapse.

So yeah I'd recommend either QNAP or Synology. Not the cheapest but the most reliable. If you can stretch the budget to a 4-bay then do so even if you don't fill it immediately or you'll probably be kicking yourself later.

Keep away from the Netgear ReadyNAS as those fckers are rubbish...lock-up at the drop of a hat requiring a hard reboot and then a 24-hour drive rebuild.

• PC LOAD LETTER
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 6m 10d

Got a 4-bay QNAP here with 4 x 3tb drives in raid5. Works brilliantly. WD TV Live for media player (which can also handle an external drive plugged in directly)

Setup to sync via FTP with a seedbox so things just magically appear without running any bit-torrent software locally, not that it really matters as I only ever download open source stuff :nod:

I use Google Drive for docs and you can install an app on the QNAP to sync that too. Luckily purchased the $5 per year 30GB plan before they changed the pricing structure, and it's grandfathered so apparently will remain at that price indefinitely as long as the subscription doesn't lapse.

So yeah I'd recommend either QNAP or Synology. Not the cheapest but the most reliable. If you can stretch the budget to a 4-bay then do so even if you don't fill it immediately or you'll probably be kicking yourself later.

Keep away from the Netgear ReadyNAS as those fckers are rubbish...lock-up at the drop of a hat requiring a hard reboot and then a 24-hour drive rebuild.

I wouldn't mind a 4 bay NAS from QNAP but then I think I'm pushing way past my budget on the whole thing... :oooh:

Had a look at all the packages that can be added onto both devices, looks very cool ! Thinking of trying a few of the download services and see if something like sickbeard can be used as well.

That was lucky you got the earlier pricing plan from Google Drive, I was thinking of trying their services too. Even the universities are using google drive for document storage/sharing.

Definitely sticking away from the cheaper options, blokes at work suggested the same thing. Not worth skimping on an odd $100 for the actual device.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team

Valid point on the uni thing. My old uni has added that recently even for past students, we keep the email for life so I assume the drive is the same.

The email address is also very handy for getting student subscriptions and ridiculous discounts on things too as they are validated using an email at a known education domain.

• PC LOAD LETTER
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 6m 10d

That's awesome ! Very handy to get student prices on items that offer the discount. Which uni did you go to?

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 20d

Without me having to read everything on both of your choices websites, do they have the ability to (basically) shut the drives down when they're not in use? besides turning it off at the wall of cause

There is nothing worse than a hard drive spinning 24/7

Edited by BenDoCo

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 26d

Can't even hear my NAS mate.. So no idea if it's shutting them down or not..

Compared to my mate who runs a home server in his house which makes a friggin racket..

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team

Yeah QNAP has sleep settings, can also adjust your cooling fan speed thresholds etc. But noise would never be an issue unless you're sleeping next to it in a dead-quiet room.

Can also schedule power-up/shutdown times as well of you want.