Intercooler Piping Size?

fastfwd

• Member For: 12y 5m 6d

I have no idea really, but these are the current and near future mods which will be completed before my tune at Xtreme ford on Dec 12th

• 4 inch Dump to Cat
  • 4 inch high flow Cat
  • Magnaflow Dual 2.75 inch Cat back
  • Plazmaman Under batter intake kit
  • Plazmaman 500x300x75 intercooler
  • Bosch 60lb injectors
  • SCT ECU with handheld unit
  • Brand new GT3582R
  • Kinugawa A/R .70 Compressor Housing
  • Kinugawa Billet compressor wheel
  • Custom highflow Exhaust manifold.

And then the intercooler piping which I will be making then powder coating black.

I believe I should receive anywhere between 300-370kw atw's. I would be happy with anything 350kw's+

Edited by Dagabond
quote removed...

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 6d

Yeah I was going to ask as 4.5 is far too big.

What are you trying to achieve with the .7 housing and bigger wheel? I would sugget sticking with the stock wheel/housing and running 2.75 "hot side and 3" cold side piping.

Any bigger wouldn't be and advantage at your power/mod level

• Member For: 12y 5m 6d

Yeah I was going to ask as 4.5 is far too big.

What are you trying to achieve with the .7 housing and bigger wheel? I would sugget sticking with the stock wheel/housing and running 2.75 "hot side and 3" cold side piping.

Any bigger wouldn't be and advantage at your power/mod level

Reason im doing it is I feel due to the size of the motor and size of the 76mm throttle body intake. the old 1980 released garrett standard A/R .50 was much to small of a pressure feed.

People on this forum said they have increased 20-30kw just from the increase in housing size. And the billet wheel will increase the power and flow due to the edit's in the fins, and being lighter it would decrease spool time. I have heard though the larger A/R .70 intake can increase the spool time but once on boost power curve is much stronger. So having the billet wheel decreasing the spool time will counteract each other. Thus giving a much stronger power curve and increasing power per PSI.

The difference in piping size was about price really. The time difference pressurize between the motor and the turbo would be very minimal in the case between 2.75 and 3inch. 2 and 3 inch maybe. but .25 would be milli seconds if not less. Reducing the spool pressure time is more about less piping used, which is why im customizing it myself.

Plus again because the car is made with 76mm throttle intake I believe it should be 76mm throughout the intake minimum. Correct me if im wrong. that's just the way I think about it. and because it has to feed 6 cylinders at 4.0 its going to require allot more flow.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 6d

Sounds like you're settled on 3" so run with 3"

I run 2.75 hot and 3 cold. No issues with issue.

If it was my territory (and granted its not) I'd be looking for low down spool over peak HP. I figure with awd grip,low down spool is more useful in car shaped like a block of flats than out and out top end power.

Do me a favour? Please stop quoting the post directly before yours. There's no need unless you're replying to a post that not the most recent.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m 2d

2.5 will be fine. Cars are making 400+ with stock hotside, and that's probably 50mm ID. You must remember the air is being forced through. Has you intercooler got 75mm ID inlet and outlet. I bet it hasnt.

• Member For: 12y 4m 16d

Just a simple question - but where do you source 2.75 inch (70mm) exhaust tube ( Magnaflow noted above)?

I assume aluminium tube comes in small size increments to allow those pipe diameters for the I/C.