3sc0rt Member 50 Member For: 13y 11m 9d Gender: Male Location: Newcastle Posted 27/08/13 11:31 PM Posted 27/08/13 11:31 PM Hey Fella's,I've been hearing a lot of break ins lately and thieves taking car keys and making off with someone's pride and joy, I've even heard some people being woken up by someone by knife point or some sort of weapon and got the owner to find the keys. What I want to do is install an Keypad Immobilizer so if they do sneak in and grab my keys (without me waking up and losing my sh*t) that they wont get very far. I've thought of a kill switch but I also thought that would be the first thing they will quickly look for.I'm just wondering if anyone is running one at all and where can I get one. I seem to be able to find forums talking about them 5 years ago and all the links are gone, eBay doesn't help me either. From watching a few YouTube video's they seem to be fairly neat and work well. I couldn't imagine they would be very hard to fit too.Any info would be appreciated.CheersRhys 1
wagnman Member 567 Member For: 17y 3m 11d Posted 27/08/13 11:57 PM Posted 27/08/13 11:57 PM You know what would be good? A little unit that plugs into your obd or gets wired into your computer wiring that you can send a signal to from your phone to imobalize the car. surely someone could make this fairly easily with today's tech.
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 28/08/13 12:05 AM Posted 28/08/13 12:05 AM Stupid question, but if you're being held at gun/knife point wouldn't you want them to just take your car and fck off? Can't imagine old mate would be too happy if he's in your garage and can't get your car started. In my opinion if you can't disable the thief then you're better off letting them go...that's what insurance is for.
3sc0rt Member 50 Member For: 13y 11m 9d Gender: Male Location: Newcastle Posted 28/08/13 12:19 AM Author Posted 28/08/13 12:19 AM I knew someone would say this, that is just something that had happened to someone. In that case if he has legged it out the door to steal my car I'm going to grab my bat, lock my door & call the cops. For the average dumb sh*t thief, they would break in, steal your sh*t, grab your keys if they can find them without waking you up. If they then goto steal it and realise it won't start, I doubt he's coming back into wake me... if it means someone may get hurt I'll give the code and let him steal it and get insurance.. but for the more likely scenario's I think an immobilizer is a good option.
Dagabond Bored Member Administrator 35,722 Member For: 23y 10m 19d Gender: Male Location: Dé·jà vu Posted 28/08/13 12:31 AM Posted 28/08/13 12:31 AM Tracking device is a better option....
3sc0rt Member 50 Member For: 13y 11m 9d Gender: Male Location: Newcastle Posted 28/08/13 12:32 AM Author Posted 28/08/13 12:32 AM In Newcastle, people like to burn cars.
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 28/08/13 12:58 AM Posted 28/08/13 12:58 AM Sorry...you did specifically mention the scenario of being woken-up at knife point which is why I picked up on that point. Viper have a couple of things that use your mobile phone they are plugging lately, one is a fairly basic bluetooth setup or you can get one with a GPS that allows for remote monitoring etc. http://www.vipersecurity.com.au/smartstart-vsm250i
ms700 Moderating Team 10,170 Member For: 23y 8m 2d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 28/08/13 04:47 AM Posted 28/08/13 04:47 AM My car is insured for 20k, I'd be lucky to get 8k.... If someone pinches it, and burns it, I'll be waiting for the dealership to open the next day to buy another.......Generally, if they are going to knock off a car, it's something worth stealing eg AMG, M series, Astons, Audi RS, they aren't worried about taxis.... Would you rather be convicted of stealing something decent, or something you 'may' have thrown up in the back seat of? You'll do exactly the same amount of time regardless of value...... 2
AdamIan69 Legacy Donating Member 401 Member For: 13y 5m 11d Gender: Male Location: WA Posted 28/08/13 05:19 AM Posted 28/08/13 05:19 AM (edited) You can get OBD units that you can text and shut the car down. I also know a very close mate of mine that can make the car accelerate at full throttle with a simple text msg. How ever that would be illegal, and would cause other innocent road users to be in danger. The new "TILE" from apple would be great to put in your boot or under the carpet. You could also buy a very cheap iPhone and download the "find my iPhone" application place that in your car, hardwire a car charger to the ignition "on" side of the circuit. Then you can use your iPhone/iPad to locate your car any where at any time. (I have used this application while working in high risk areas of Africa and it works a treat as your wife or boss can see where you are when ever he or she wants.) Then send the OBD a text to accelerate HARD when you are travelling behind them on an open road. Edited 28/08/13 05:21 AM by AdamIan69
Pixy Angel Expert Legacy Donating Member 9,132 Member For: 21y 7m 6d Gender: Male Location: North Jamberoo, NSW Posted 28/08/13 05:24 AM Posted 28/08/13 05:24 AM (edited) Viper unit isn't a bad price but an annual fee, please!!If someone was brakes into my house and wants my car good luck to them they can have it. Not worth putting the family in risk.Plus smile your on camera......lol Edited 28/08/13 05:26 AM by ANGEL#3
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now