Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 14y 2m 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: hampton park
Posted

Hi all,

I am interested in installing a sub and amp while retaining everything else stock (head unit, speakers)

what would be the simplest way to install these in the boot, I am usto slapping an after market head unit in

running the rca's down one side of the car and the power wire down the other hooking up the remote wire and basicaly done.. dose the STD head unit have the rca's output at the rear? if not how would I go about this?

Thanks for the advise in advance...

  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Member
  • Member For: 14y 2m 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: hampton park
Posted

Thanks for the reply Jacob,

Yea I have heard this from a few post's I have come across online,

I'm really after some more detail if possible, I'v never heard of a line converter not sure were to get one and then

whitch one to get and were it goes and how it works even lol..

So im assuming that I will still be running a power wire from battery (engine bay) to AMP, this line converter dose this replace the need for RCA'S? and what about the remote wire to switch the AMP on and off?

If you can shead any more light on this it would be much appreciated ..

Thanks again..

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 5m 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

Yeah you'll still need to run a power wire for your amp. The line converter just takes the signal from your rear speakers and coverts it to RCA then you just run your RCA to the amp like normal.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 5m 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

I'm pretty sure the remote wire can come off one of the speaker wires so it'll turn on when you turn the head unit on, although I'm not 100% sure on that one

  • Member
  • Member For: 13y 7m 12d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

Remote should come from a switched source like cigarette lighter....

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 5m 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

If it comes from the cig lighter the sub will only work when the key is on. So if you want to play music with the accessory on you won't have the subs

  • Member
  • Member For: 14y 2m 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: hampton park
Posted

ok is that at all dodgy? or dangerouse? or will the sub be any

less affective using the line converter/running your rca's this way?

thanks again for all the help..

  • Member
  • Member For: 13y 7m 12d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

That is how every install I've seen has been done.. Never heard of running remote from speakers as they are not 12vdc but AC. Does it work?

  • Member
  • Member For: 13y 7m 12d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted (edited)

I'm pretty sure that wont work because say if there's a break in the music and the rear speakers have no signal the amp will turn off and then click back on when it gets signal again.. That's if it even fires up with the voltage from speaker level..OP id be careful before using speakers as remote turn on unless someone has done it before and it works well seems unlikely though

And by the way you don't need a line out converter if you have speaker level inputs on your amp.. Check that before buying anything. This is fine for a simple install with the stock setup, I run all my gear (mb quarts reference series splits off 260wrms amp and 12"IDMAX off 600wrms) off the stock head unit with a line out converter and it sounds pretty damn good

Edited by Lennox

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...