JamieB Member 58 Member For: 13y 2m 26d Posted 17/07/13 10:03 AM Posted 17/07/13 10:03 AM Hi,I bought a ba xr6 Turbo over the weekend with 190, XXX kmIt had a miss when it would come on boost so I replaced the coil pack and spark plugs with genuine ford items,while I was doing this I also cleaned the TB, cleaned the PCV and as per a guide on here sprayed some WD-40 down the wastegate line.After this I took it for a test drive and the miss was gone but it was making a howling noise from 3k+ and would go away further up. The noise sounded like it was coming from the exhaustAfter a couple of minutes of driving I heard a 'pop' noise from under the bonnet and heard the sound of compressed air rushing out, when accelerating I could also hear a 'zzzzz' whizing noise so I thought an intake pipe had probably popped off so I babied it the 2 minute drive back to the workshop.Checked all intake pipe's and vacumm lines and everything seems fine, when driving the car it seems very underpowered and feels like its not making any boost, however it starts and idles fine.It it possible that the wastegate actuator is stuck open? or is it more likely the turbo has been damaged? Im going to check again for boost leaks tomorrowWhat else should I be checking forCLIFFS:Replaced coil pack, Sprayed WD-40 down wastegate hose, clean TB and PCVNow car is acting like it has no boost, underpowered and making 'Whizzing' zzzzz noise (Can hear turbo spinning?)
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 16d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 17/07/13 10:55 AM Posted 17/07/13 10:55 AM Rubber joiner on the tb.25points for cliff notes. Forum needs more cliff notes.
FPV TRANNY Im the one and only Legacy Donating Member 3,557 Member For: 21y 9m 2d Gender: Male Location: In my house Posted 17/07/13 11:05 AM Posted 17/07/13 11:05 AM Agree as well.Sounds like you have popped off a hose or rubber coupling to the TB.Done it plenty of times...
JETURBO ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE... Legacy Donating Member 23,708 Member For: 18y 4m 9d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 17/07/13 11:06 AM Posted 17/07/13 11:06 AM Cliff is chit But what custard bum said op
arronm Dropping a turd Legacy Donating Member 9,520 Member For: 18y 11m 13d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 17/07/13 11:17 AM Posted 17/07/13 11:17 AM Actuator hose was off, built to much boost and blew a hose off. Check the actuator.
JamieB Member 58 Member For: 13y 2m 26d Posted 18/07/13 07:51 AM Author Posted 18/07/13 07:51 AM Actuator hose is and was still on fine,Check tb coupling and all the other hoses I touched yesterday, all seem fine, removed and installed again anyway and hasn't made a difference
JamieB Member 58 Member For: 13y 2m 26d Posted 19/07/13 01:36 AM Author Posted 19/07/13 01:36 AM Found the poblem to be a bad leak from an intercooler pipe,However now the howling noise from the exhaust is back, Its a stainless steel X-Force system, I will check for broken mounts etc
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 16d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 19/07/13 02:06 AM Posted 19/07/13 02:06 AM Check all your manifold to cyl head and turbo to manifold and turbo to dump pipe mate. Common as big toes for them to loosen up and make all kinds of funky noises.
FPV TRANNY Im the one and only Legacy Donating Member 3,557 Member For: 21y 9m 2d Gender: Male Location: In my house Posted 19/07/13 06:35 AM Posted 19/07/13 06:35 AM Check all your manifold to cyl head and turbo to manifold and turbo to dump pipe mate. Common as big toes for them to loosen up and make all kinds of funky noises.Yep.. have to agree..Fuggin things come loose a few times..
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now